Author Topic: How the west was won....  (Read 22965 times)

keithstg

Re: How the west was won....
« Reply #135 on: October 08, 2004, 11:06:00 am »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:

Originally posted by keithstg:
   I'm just going to answer your question as written.

so much for intelligence.

i dont think Schilling starts game 4.  I dont think there should be a game 4, but i wouldn't start Schilling unless we go back to Anaheim.

Arroyo has been playing well ever since Allen Iverson's been doing his hair. [/b]
Please.

If Schilling is going to start any game, it would be game 4, because he could then start the first game of the ALCS. Wakefield could spell Schilling in long relief if the Sox put the Angels away early.

As for Arroyo, I don't know what you consider playing well, but he's allowed between 3-5 runs a game in his last five starts, excepting one very good outing on 8/26, which are decent numbers.

sonickteam2

« Reply #136 on: October 08, 2004, 11:40:00 am »
  Please.

If Schilling is going to start any game, it would be game 4, because he could then start the first game of the ALCS.
Schilling is not going to start Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday.  we all know that. Saving Schilling for Game 5 is what we should do. Why pitch Schilling in Game 4? its not a must win game, we're at home and if we win, he wont be able to go on 2 days rest. If we save Schilling for 5, and then we win one in Fenway, he's only pitched once and he COULD go 1-4-7. but not if we use him twice in the ALDS.

And 3-5 runs isn't bad for Arroyo. especially with the offense Boston has, and its a home game.

I know he's not John Lieber, but hes the 3rd or 4th best we have!

keithstg

« Reply #137 on: October 08, 2004, 12:18:00 pm »

Please.

If Schilling is going to start any game, it would be game 4, because he could then start the first game of the ALCS.
Schilling is not going to start Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday.  we all know that. Saving Schilling for Game 5 is what we should do. Why pitch Schilling in Game 4? its not a must win game, we're at home and if we win, he wont be able to go on 2 days rest. If we save Schilling for 5, and then we win one in Fenway, he's only pitched once and he COULD go 1-4-7. but not if we use him twice in the ALDS.

And 3-5 runs isn't bad for Arroyo. especially with the offense Boston has, and its a home game.

I know he's not John Lieber, but hes the 3rd or 4th best we have! [/b]
I think that you are probably right regarding Schilling. Hadn't thought about it from the perspective of a game 4 not being a must win, but does Wakefield then pitch 4? I guess he has to.

Call me crazy, but I would rather have Lieber than Arroyo...

Guiny

« Reply #138 on: October 08, 2004, 12:36:00 pm »
 Call me crazy, but I would rather have Lieber than Arroyo... [/QB]
I'd rather have Pettitte.   :(

Venerable Bede

« Reply #139 on: October 08, 2004, 12:42:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rob_Gee:

Call me crazy, but I would rather have Lieber than Arroyo... [/b]
I'd rather have Pettitte.    :(  [/QB]
not too keen on three-finger brown going tonight, eh?
OU812

vansmack

« Reply #140 on: October 08, 2004, 01:09:00 pm »
I hate playing against Jeter, but that's not the same as saying that I hate Jeter.  There's probably 30 MLB teams that would take Jeter off the Ynakees hands if he were available, and the one that wouldn't hasn't won a World Series in over 80 years for reasons just like this.  

Thankfully, their new GM doesn't make the same mistakes previous GMs would do, concerning himself with what the fans would want, and has made the deals top make the team a better playoff team.

Only a Red Sox fan could hate some one for playing hard every play.  Then again, you put Eckstein on waivers...
27>34

sonickteam2

« Reply #141 on: October 08, 2004, 01:19:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

Only a Red Sox fan could hate some one for playing hard every play.  Then again, you put Eckstein on waivers...
there are enough short people in Boston.

vansmack

« Reply #142 on: October 08, 2004, 01:25:00 pm »
  Yankees fans are such history buffs.  i mean really, who cares what even happened last year.  its over.  
Believe me, if more Red Sox fans could forget about the history of the Sox and play for the moment, there would be a lot less negativity surrounding the team, the ball park, the fans, the ex-players....it was a Red Sox fan that coined "the Curse" - not a Yankees fan.
27>34

keithstg

« Reply #143 on: October 08, 2004, 01:25:00 pm »
  I hate playing against Jeter, but that's not the same as saying that I hate Jeter.  There's probably 30 MLB teams that would take Jeter off the Ynakees hands if he were available, and the one that wouldn't hasn't won a World Series in over 80 years for reasons just like this.  

Thankfully, their new GM doesn't make the same mistakes previous GMs would do, concerning himself with what the fans would want, and has made the deals top make the team a better playoff team.

Excellent synopsis of my earlier point. Never was this made more clear than in the last series between the Yanks and the Sox that Nomar played in...
 Theo is a good GM, I have to say.

sonickteam2

« Reply #144 on: October 08, 2004, 04:43:00 pm »

As for Arroyo, I don't know what you consider playing well, but he's allowed between 3-5 runs a game in his last five starts, excepting one very good outing on 8/26, which are decent numbers.
Arroyo is 5-0 in his last nine starts, the Red Sox are 9-0 in those starts.  call it what you want (run support) but I'll take a 9-0 record anyday!

keithstg

« Reply #145 on: October 08, 2004, 04:58:00 pm »

Arroyo is 5-0 in his last nine starts, the Red Sox are 9-0 in those starts.  call it what you want (run support) but I'll take a 9-0 record anyday! [/b]
This is splitting hairs, but allowing between 3-5 runs a start isn't going make anyone's job easier, especially against a tough opponent in the playoffs. He looks good as of now, though.

vansmack

« Reply #146 on: October 08, 2004, 05:01:00 pm »
Is Home Plate ump Runge going to ask for an appeal any time soon on check swings for the Angels, or is he just going to do it for Boston hitters?  What did Troy Glaus ever do to the umps?
27>34

sonickteam2

« Reply #147 on: October 08, 2004, 05:18:00 pm »
  Is Home Plate ump Runge going to ask for an appeal any time soon on check swings for the Angels, or is he just going to do it for Boston hitters?  What did Troy Glaus ever do to the umps?
we want our Ted Williams autograph baseball back.

vansmack

« Reply #148 on: October 08, 2004, 05:29:00 pm »
   What did Troy Glaus ever do to the umps?
Paying off the umps may backfire.  Now you've pissed him off.  Forget Lansdowne, that may be on the interstate....
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #149 on: October 08, 2004, 05:40:00 pm »
  we want our Ted Williams autograph baseball back.
Funny story about that.  My only complaint about The MLB package on DirecTV is that with Anaheim's season in a virtual unknown back in December when they made the TV deals, most of Anaheims games were on local TV, and the MLB package picks up only cable games on FSN, Comcast etc.  So while we had the Angels often, they were on the other teams broadcast.  So we heard the same stories over and over again about Erstad being a punter at Nebraska, Vlad coming over, Guillen's breakout year, Figgins stepping up for the injured so and so.....

One of the stories heard often was DaVanons dad being an MLB player and the Ted Williams ball.  Well Smackette's favorite movie is "Sandlot" and kept calling it the Babe Ruth ball and called DaVanon "the kid in Sandlot" all season long.  Gotta love her.
27>34