Author Topic: How the west was won....  (Read 22968 times)

Guiny

Re: How the west was won....
« Reply #105 on: October 07, 2004, 05:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
 how quickly you forget. . alcs game 7 last year, rivera threw 3 innings to get the win.  
  [/QB]
Your probably correct, but I believe Vansmack said this year. I'll also have no problem with Torre using him for three innings in a seventh game, especially that one you mentioned cause we needed every inning of him to win.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2004, 05:34:00 pm »
ok. . thanks to retrosheet.org, i am able to say that from 1997 on (because prior to that, he was set-up man for wetteland, and pitched 3 innings quite often) rivera has pitched more than 3 innings on precisely 1 occasion in that time (game 7 2003 ALCS).  now, he's pitched 2 innings or more on many occasions, including one 2 2/3 inning outing during the 2000 regular season.

i will stand by overall view that if needed, i still would think that torre would send out rivera to at least start a 3rd inning of work, and that i find no problem with gardenhire letting nathan start a 3rd inning of work last night.
OU812

sonickteam2

« Reply #107 on: October 07, 2004, 05:34:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rob_Gee:
  If Pedro pitches like last night, that one, two punch will be hard to beat.
its funny, i dont like ESPN's Page 2, but i read it yesterday cause my friend asked me to. and Bill Simmons' page, at the end was

Strangest Fact: If God offered a pitching line of "7 IP, 8H, 3ER, 3R, 2BB, 5K" before Pedro's Game 2 start, every Sox fan would grab those numbers in a heartbeat.

his numbers......7IP, 6H, 3R, 3ER, 2BB, 6K

vansmack

« Reply #108 on: October 07, 2004, 05:37:00 pm »
  Your probably correct, but I believe Vansmack said this year. I'll also have no problem with Torre using him for three innings in a seventh game, especially that one you mentioned cause we needed every inning of him to win.
I wasn't clear, but I was referring to the fact that Rivera has been overused this year.  I wasn't referring to any time that he may or may not have been used for three innings, although, for the record he was used for 2 innings 5 times this year before last night.  It's just that as his age goes up, his number of innings hasn't gone down, especially in the last 5 years.  He appeared in 10 more games this year than last year.
27>34

Guiny

« Reply #109 on: October 07, 2004, 05:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:

If Pedro pitches like last night, that one, two punch will be hard to beat.
its funny, i dont like ESPN's Page 2, but i read it yesterday cause my friend asked me to. and Bill Simmons' page, at the end was

Strangest Fact: If God offered a pitching line of "7 IP, 8H, 3ER, 3R, 2BB, 5K" before Pedro's Game 2 start, every Sox fan would grab those numbers in a heartbeat.

his numbers......7IP, 6H, 3R, 3ER, 2BB, 6K [/b]
Wow, did he also pick a winner for the WS? If so, It'll probably be right.

sonickteam2

« Reply #110 on: October 07, 2004, 05:47:00 pm »
  Wow, did he also pick a winner for the WS? If so, It'll probably be right.
I dont think that was his prediction.  silly robby.  (and i am sure he's picking the Red Sox but wont tell anyone)

vansmack

« Reply #111 on: October 07, 2004, 05:52:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:
 Bill Simmons  
There's been a running debate between Sox fans about "Would it be tainted at all if you went to the World Series without going through the Yankees?" People seem pretty split.

I love it.  It's been almost 100 years, they have the best chance they've had in 2 decades, and they still might not be satisfied.

They are a sick bunch, Red Sox fans.
27>34

sonickteam2

« Reply #112 on: October 07, 2004, 06:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

I love it.  It's been almost 100 years, they have the best chance they've had in 2 decades, and they still might not be satisfied.

They are a sick bunch, Red Sox fans.
lol. very true

i think anyone over 40 has to just want the series. and if you havent at LEAST been through Bill Buckner, i can see how you wouldnt really get it.

i want the series, and would like to go through NY, but if it doesnt happen, oh well.

Guiny

« Reply #113 on: October 07, 2004, 07:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by redsock:
 I hate it -- and them -- but that's just the way it is. Jeter contineus to build on the the fact that he is my most hated person in all of the world, worse than George Bush. that thing he does at the plate, how I hate that fucker. [/QB]
Are you sure your not confusing Jeter with Garciaparra who does that annoying thing at the plate with his wrists?

I'm not sure why there's so many Jeter haters other than the fact he's one of the most consistent and clutch players in the game and usually does it against their favorite team. I'm sure Sonick will tell me why.

redsock

« Reply #114 on: October 07, 2004, 09:11:00 pm »

Originally posted by redsock:
 I hate it -- and them -- but that's just the way it is. Jeter contineus to build on the the fact that he is my most hated person in all of the world, worse than George Bush. that thing he does at the plate, how I hate that fucker. [/b]
Are you sure your not confusing Jeter with Garciaparra who does that annoying thing at the plate with his wrists?

I'm not sure why there's so many Jeter haters other than the fact he's one of the most consistent and clutch players in the game and usually does it against their favorite team. I'm sure Sonick will tell me why. [/QB]
I'll tell you why, cause he embodies the very reason everyone hates the Yankees; he is an arrogant prick. He stands there at the plate, digging in the dirt, with his hand back calling time for the ump. Nomar may have done his routine, but at least he did it on his own time. Jeter and that fist pumping. Oakland gave Lowe shit last year for pumping his fist at the end of the series... shit, Jeter pumps his fist when he makes a routine play at SS. Jeter got lucky enough to play on a team that wins. He very easily could have been on a Montreal or a Pittsburg. Now he's still acting like he's the shit even though the yanks haven't won dick in 4 years. I hate that fucker.

Guiny

« Reply #115 on: October 07, 2004, 09:15:00 pm »
Wow, I think even Sonick woulda been nicer than that.   ;)

ratioci nation

« Reply #116 on: October 07, 2004, 09:16:00 pm »
I think Jeter used to be in a jam band.

Guiny

« Reply #117 on: October 07, 2004, 09:19:00 pm »
I also don't think he's anymore arrogant than Pedro who's skinny 160 lb ass stares at you when he tries to head hunt. Anyways we've all been down this road before so no big deal. It'll be a great series if it happens.

sonickteam2

« Reply #118 on: October 07, 2004, 11:59:00 pm »
  I also don't think he's anymore arrogant than Pedro who's skinny 160 lb ass stares at you when he tries to head hunt. Anyways we've all been down this road before so no big deal. It'll be a great series if it happens.
me, you, redsock....next weekend pal.....oh, its on.

and Jeter is just a pretty boy.

keithstg

« Reply #119 on: October 08, 2004, 08:17:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  so what do y'all think about Dale Earnhardt jr losing 25 chapionship points for saying "shit" on tv?
Typical redneck nonsense.