Author Topic: How the west was won....  (Read 22964 times)

keithstg

Re: How the west was won....
« Reply #120 on: October 08, 2004, 08:26:00 am »
Originally posted by redsock:
 [QB [/QB]
I'll tell you why, cause he embodies the very reason everyone hates the Yankees; he is an arrogant prick. He stands there at the plate, digging in the dirt, with his hand back calling time for the ump. Nomar may have done his routine, but at least he did it on his own time. Jeter and that fist pumping. Oakland gave Lowe shit last year for pumping his fist at the end of the series... shit, Jeter pumps his fist when he makes a routine play at SS. Jeter got lucky enough to play on a team that wins. He very easily could have been on a Montreal or a Pittsburg. Now he's still acting like he's the shit even though the yanks haven't won dick in 4 years. I hate that fucker. [/QB][/QUOTE]

First of all, 4 years ago is better than 86 years ago, right? And in the past four years the Yankees have won the AL twice.

Regarding Jeter, he hustles every play of every game, and plays to win. Very few players in baseball today have his heart and hustle (Nomar is a perfect example). I can think only think of a few, Eckstein and Schilling come immediately to mind. Hate Jeter all you want, but respect the talent and the drive.

sonickteam2

« Reply #121 on: October 08, 2004, 08:52:00 am »
Originally posted by keithstg:

First of all, 4 years ago is better than 86 years ago, right? And in the past four years the Yankees have won the AL twice.

Yankees fans are such history buffs.  i mean really, who cares what even happened last year.  its over.  26 world Series doesnt mean shit, not this week, not next week. And i already know, that when they lose to the Red Sox (eventually, they will) they will say, "oh wow, 26-1, we are still kicking your ass" only our asses wont be the sore ones.  

This year, we have a better team....and next week we'll have the chance to prove it.

respect the talent and the drive?  blah blah blah....Jeter is a pretty boy bitch and I would take Cabrera anyday.  :D

keithstg

« Reply #122 on: October 08, 2004, 09:00:00 am »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:

Yankees fans are such history buffs.  i mean really, who cares what even happened last year.  its over.  26 world Series doesnt mean shit, not this week, not next week. And i already know, that when they lose to the Red Sox (eventually, they will) they will say, "oh wow, 26-1, we are still kicking your ass" only our asses wont be the sore ones.  

This year, we have a better team....and next week we'll have the chance to prove it.

respect the talent and the drive?  blah blah blah....Jeter is a pretty boy bitch and I would take Cabrera anyday.   :D  [/b]
Baseball fans are history buffs. This is not exclusive to Yankees fans. In fact, I bet I know more about Red Sox history than you do. 26 titles does mean something - so do the Red Sox's 5. The fact that you even know how many titles that the Yanks have won shows that WS titles matter.

You can have Cabrera. Just remember that you'd rather have him when Jeter is in Cooperstown. Actually, Cabrera would be welcome to come to NY and play second if he can make the team.   :p  

Won't it be a bit empty for you when the Red Sox do win a world series, to go into the following opening day knowing that "what happened last year doesn't mean $%^&"?

sonickteam2

« Reply #123 on: October 08, 2004, 09:16:00 am »
  Baseball fans are history buffs. This is not exclusive to Yankees fans. In fact, I bet I know more about Red Sox history than you do. 26 titles does mean something - so do the Red Sox's 5. The fact that you even know how many titles that the Yanks have won shows that WS titles matter.

You can have Cabrera. Just remember that you'd rather have him when Jeter is in Cooperstown. Actually, Cabrera would be welcome to come to NY and play second if he can make the team.    :p  

Won't it be a bit empty for you when the Red Sox do win a world series, to go into the following opening day knowing that "what happened last year doesn't mean $%^&"?
i know 26 WS titles because of annoying yankees fans actually.

and why would i care about Jeter once he's in Cooperstown?  he wont even be playing anymore.

ok, point is, history is fine and dandy but when we're talking about whos the better team...lets leave the stats from before WW2 out of it.

and if the Sox win the Series...I wont be watching baseball for a couple years....takes too much out of me!!!

keithstg

« Reply #124 on: October 08, 2004, 09:25:00 am »
    ok, point is, history is fine and dandy but when we're talking about whos the better team...lets leave the stats from before WW2 out of it.

and if the Sox win the Series...I wont be watching baseball for a couple years....takes too much out of me!!!
Post WW2, the Yankees have won 16 World Series. There's no "talking" about who is the better team. It's not debateable.

sonickteam2

« Reply #125 on: October 08, 2004, 09:31:00 am »

Post WW2, the Yankees have won 16 World Series. There's no "talking" about who is the better team. It's not debateable. [/b]
no, thats who WAS the better team.

keithstg

« Reply #126 on: October 08, 2004, 09:35:00 am »

Post WW2, the Yankees have won 16 World Series. There's no "talking" about who is the better team. It's not debateable. [/b]
no, thats who WAS the better team. [/b]
Seems like you're not sure what time period you want to talk about. I'm not the one who wanted to leave the stats before WWII out of it. The Yankees won the AL East this year (just like in the six years prior), as you know.

Enough of this. How about another implosion by Jeff Weaver and Jim Tracy's management...

sonickteam2

« Reply #127 on: October 08, 2004, 09:38:00 am »
  Seems like you're not sure what time period you want to talk about. I'm not the one who wanted to leave the stats before WWII out of it. The Yankees won the AL East this year (just like in the six years prior), as you know.

I am talking about NOW. The WWII thing was just a reference point that is far back in the past.  i wasnt really referring to everything post 1944.

did you really think thats what i meant?

does winning all those World Serier really distort your perception like that?

Guiny

« Reply #128 on: October 08, 2004, 09:52:00 am »
I don't care what anyone says, Roger Clemens at 42 is still GOD.

sonickteam2

« Reply #129 on: October 08, 2004, 09:57:00 am »
and i am not sure why we're pitching Bronson Arroyo today.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #130 on: October 08, 2004, 10:19:00 am »
Originally posted by redsock:

Oakland gave Lowe shit last year for pumping his fist at the end of the series...  
well, i'd advise you look at where the pumping his fist started and ended. . .oh, and the fact that he did it straight at the a's dugout, with a hip thrust at the a's dugout to boot.  i think that's why the a's and its fans gave lowe alot of shit.  if lowe wants people to look at his crotch, i'd tell him to do that in san francisco.
OU812

sonickteam2

« Reply #131 on: October 08, 2004, 10:20:00 am »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
   i think that's why the a's and its fans gave lowe alot of shit.
i thought Oakland was just where the poor gay people lived?

Venerable Bede

« Reply #132 on: October 08, 2004, 10:21:00 am »

Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
   i think that's why the a's and its fans gave lowe alot of shit.
i thought Oakland was just where the poor gay people lived? [/b]
no, oakland is where the poor black people live. . and jerry brown.
OU812

keithstg

« Reply #133 on: October 08, 2004, 10:42:00 am »

I am talking about NOW. The WWII thing was just a reference point that is far back in the past.  i wasnt really referring to everything post 1944.

did you really think thats what i meant?

does winning all those World Serier really distort your perception like that? [/b]
My perception is fine. Does losing all those games distort yours? I'm not going to try and figure out what you meant, I'm just going to answer your question as written.

We can look at the entire past, up until last week, and the same is true for the Yankees / Red Sox.

Arroyo is starting in game three because with a 2-0 lead, it's the smart play, as Wakefield can  be used in long relief if Arroyo (who has been consistent of late) gets in trouble, or if Schilling's foot keeps him out of a game 4.

sonickteam2

« Reply #134 on: October 08, 2004, 10:54:00 am »
   I'm just going to answer your question as written.

so much for intelligence.

i dont think Schilling starts game 4.  I dont think there should be a game 4, but i wouldn't start Schilling unless we go back to Anaheim.

Arroyo has been playing well ever since Allen Iverson's been doing his hair.