Author Topic: How the west was won....  (Read 22969 times)

keithstg

Re: How the west was won....
« Reply #90 on: October 07, 2004, 02:53:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

[/b]
Jones thinking Jeter wouldn't go?  Has he not seen this guy hustle on every play he makes, even in the all-star game?  Unbelievable. [/QB]
It's true about Jeter's hustle, and while I can only guess what he was thinking, I'd bet that he thought that the liner was so shallow that hustle or not, Jeter wouldn't chance it.

I'm glad that he was wrong. I think that the Twins are in serious trouble now.

vansmack

« Reply #91 on: October 07, 2004, 02:53:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
  i have no problem with nathan coming in for a 3rd inning. . .he used to be a starter. . .3 innings should be nothing.  there's no excuse for jacque jones lobbying it in. . .jeter would have been out if he throws a strike to the catcher.
I'm a little surprised by this.  

He hadn't thrown 3 innings in over a year and half.  Only once this season did he throw more than one inning, and that was in the beginning of the season.  His pitch count never reached 50 all season long.  He had thrown 11 straight balls, was lucky to get Olerud to swing at ball 4, walked two straight, and Gardenhire lets him face A-Job with two on?

It was understandable to bring him in in the 10th - if you win, you have a day off and don't need him in game 3.  But if a gassed closer is your only hope, then how did you win 90+ games all season?  He surely didn't pitch in all of those wins.

Great, so if Jones throws the ball home, maybe Jeters out.  But if A-Jobs ball doesn't bounce out of the park, the game was already over.  Why was he facing A-Job?  Why was nobody warming up when your closer started his third inning?

And I'm not picking on Gardenhire exclusively.  Dumd moves like this seem to happen a lot when teams play the Yankees.

And I was screaming at Scioscia to bring in Donnelly to face Varitek too.  Go with what got you there and manage for this win.  If you're content to let K-Rod throw two innings, why not let Donnelly get one fucking out for you?  Your starter is at 110 pitches!!!!!
27>34

sonickteam2

« Reply #92 on: October 07, 2004, 03:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by keithstg:

i dont think so.  they win one out of two in Minnesota, and they get Santana back on the mound.

that said.  i dont think (or want) the Twins can beat the Yankees anyway. but i dont think they are in any more trouble than they were before game one

sonickteam2

« Reply #93 on: October 07, 2004, 03:29:00 pm »
  then how did you win 90+ games all season?  
Minnesota   92 70 .568  
   Chicago     83 79 .512  
   Cleveland   80 82 .494  
   Detroit     72 90 .444
   Kansas City 58 104 .358

Guiny

« Reply #94 on: October 07, 2004, 03:32:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:

Originally posted by keithstg:

i dont think so.  they win one out of two in Minnesota, and they get Santana back on the mound.

that said.  i dont think (or want) the Twins can beat the Yankees anyway. but i dont think they are in any more trouble than they were before game one [/b]
My guess is Santana might pitch game four in Minnesota. Especially if they lose game 3. I highly doubt that they go to Lohse in game four. Not only has the rest of the league tee'd off on him, but the Yankees just did last week.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #95 on: October 07, 2004, 03:51:00 pm »
like i said, and i think you agreed. . .there was nothing wrong with having nathan START in his 3rd inning of work.  nevertheless, nathan should have been pulled earlier, and should not have faced rodriguez. . .you do things differently in the playoffs, how many times has torre used rivera for 3 innings, i wonder?
OU812

« Reply #96 on: October 07, 2004, 03:55:00 pm »
so what do y'all think about Dale Earnhardt jr losing 25 chapionship points for saying "shit" on tv?

vansmack

« Reply #97 on: October 07, 2004, 04:55:00 pm »
  like i said, and i think you agreed. . .there was nothing wrong with having nathan START in his 3rd inning of work.  nevertheless, nathan should have been pulled earlier, and should not have faced rodriguez. . .you do things differently in the playoffs,
I wouldn't even have started the 12th with him.

Mulholland or Romero should have started the 12th, or the 4th or 5th starter.  Your bullpen is deeper now.

Then again, it's the A's fan telling me that you do things differently in the playoffs.  You might want to tell your GM that.

how many times has torre used rivera for 3 innings, i wonder?
He wisely didn't last night.....but has too often this season, which is why he looks tired and blew his first post season save in NY last night.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #98 on: October 07, 2004, 04:57:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  so what do y'all think about Dale Earnhardt jr losing 25 chapionship points for saying "shit" on tv?
I heard a great thing on the radio this morning.  An announcer said that the Dodgers were starting today's game down 3-0 because a reporter was doing a live interview with Milton Bradley and he cursed.  That made me laugh.
27>34

redsock

« Reply #99 on: October 07, 2004, 05:05:00 pm »
Yankess-Twins series is over. Yankees take one little thing and build on it. You might as well not even try to beat the Yankess in extra innings. It's a lose lose situation, unless you are the home team. Cause no matter how many you score in the top of the inning, they are always gonna come back and beat you in the bottom. Happens everytime, especially in the playoffs.

I hate it -- and them -- but that's just the way it is. Jeter contineus to build on the the fact that he is my most hated person in all of the world, worse than George Bush. that thing he does at the plate, how I hate that fucker.

Guiny

« Reply #100 on: October 07, 2004, 05:08:00 pm »

how many times has torre used rivera for 3 innings, i wonder?
He wisely didn't last night.....but has too often this season, which is why he looks tired and blew his first post season save in NY last night. [/QB]
I never remembered Rivera pitching three innings in a game this year. If he did, It's news to me. Three days in a row maybe, but I highly doubt three innings in one game. Not with Flash Gordon there.

sonickteam2

« Reply #101 on: October 07, 2004, 05:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rob_Gee:
 I never remembered Rivera pitching three innings in a game this year. If he did, It's news to me. Three days in a row maybe, but I highly doubt three innings in one game. Not with Flash Gordon there.
I have never seen him pitch 3 innings in a row either.

hey rob, how good do those Red Sox look?

Venerable Bede

« Reply #102 on: October 07, 2004, 05:23:00 pm »

[/b]
how quickly you forget. . alcs game 7 last year, rivera threw 3 innings to get the win.  

i will admit that i highly doubt rivera ever threw 3 innings in any game during the regular season, but torre is not afraid to use him in the playoffs.
OU812

Guiny

« Reply #103 on: October 07, 2004, 05:25:00 pm »
    hey rob, how good do those Red Sox look? [/QB]
They are looking scary good. They definetely look like they have more confidence than they did last year. If Pedro pitches like last night, that one, two punch will be hard to beat.

sonickteam2

« Reply #104 on: October 07, 2004, 05:26:00 pm »

[/b]
how quickly you forget. . alcs game 7 last year, rivera threw 3 innings to get the win.  

i will admit that i highly doubt rivera ever threw 3 innings in any game during the regular season, but torre is not afraid to use him in the playoffs. [/b]
we were talking about this year. and in the regular season.  i know just how damn long he pitched for last year!!!!!   :roll: