Author Topic: WHFS is now......a salsa channel?  (Read 57168 times)

ratioci nation

Re: WHFS is now......a salsa channel?
« Reply #270 on: January 25, 2005, 12:04:00 am »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  iTunes won't play the stream for me at home either, but Winamp does with no problem.

And WMA 10 plays the Win stream just fine.
ok, i will try it out, thanks

Jaguär

« Reply #271 on: January 25, 2005, 12:43:00 am »
Originally posted by pollard:

Curse you for getting me to tune in for Tegan & Sara.  I can't stand those two.
I dont think I have ever actually heard them,...[/b]
Count your blessings!

distance

« Reply #272 on: January 25, 2005, 03:14:00 am »
Originally posted by Jaguär:

Curse you for getting me to tune in for Tegan & Sara.  I can't stand those two.
I dont think I have ever actually heard them,...[/b]
Count your blessings! [/b]
i definitely agree. i saw them on muchmusic once, eh?

« Reply #273 on: January 25, 2005, 10:07:00 am »
My lackey comes through for me. Thanks Pollard, this station seems right up my alley. And it's not blocked by my work censors, like KEXP is.

my friend in Minneapolis told me this station just started there

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/radio/services/thecurrent/  

last 6 hours of what they have played

some fine music'n [/b]

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #274 on: January 26, 2005, 09:35:00 am »
Great just what we need, all those people who signed the petition thinking they had anything to do with HFS coming back on the air.   :roll:  

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/tv/bal-to.whfs25jan25,1,7758779.story
 Protests were heard, WHFS rocks online
 It also can be heard on Live 105.7 FM

By Rob Hiaasen
 Sun Staff

January 25, 2005

WHFS is back, in an alternative way.

The much-mourned and lowly rated rock station - which switched to Spanish pop only this month - has been revived and refitted for an online audience. On Friday, Infinity Broadcasting and America Online launched WHFS.com - a 24-hour, seven-day-a-week online radio station featuring new music, old music from WHFS, and performances from past HFStivals.

If listeners aren't interested in an audio stream of the former rock station, WHFS can also be heard weeknights and all day Saturdays and Sundays on Baltimore's Live 105.7, with host Tim Virgin, who had worked at the former station. The Baltimore FM radio talk station is also owned by Infinity, which brought back WHFS after listeners protested through online petitions and public rallies.

"We heard loud and clear how important WHFS and its programming are to the Washington, D.C./Baltimore community," Infinity spokesman David Goodman said in a released statement. "The legacy of WHFS as a pioneering music station will continue to live on for millions of listeners around the world."

There's also good news for festival fans. On "Live 105.7" yesterday, WHFS program director Lisa Worden announced there will be an HFStival probably in May. On Friday night, Dave Grohl - former Nirvana member and lead singer of The Foo Fighters - called in to congratulate the station and offered to play at any HFStival this year.

What a difference two weeks make in the radio business.

On Jan. 12, rock fans were stunned to turn on 99.1 FM and hear a Spanish-language station called El Zol. Salsa had replaced Slipknot. A revolt was born.

With no prior announcement, Infinity had dropped the "homegrown progressive" rock station that had introduced such bands as Good Charlotte and had produced the popular music festivals.

New York-based Infinity noted poor ratings and a burgeoning Hispanic listening audience as reasons for the format change. In the fall quarter, WHFS attracted an average of 1.3 percent of listeners - or 20th place among stations in the Washington metropolitan area. The station faired a bit better in the Baltimore metro area, with 2.5 percent of listeners or 13th place among stations, according to Arbitron figures released this month.

But diehard rock fans don't tend to flinch at low ratings; they tend to get angry, sign a WHFS online petition (more than 30,000 signatures) and stage rallies - such as the WHFS rally in Washington on Jan. 15, where listeners carried "Honk 4 HFS!" signs.

"We figure if we have enough of an outcry, we can cause some rumblings at Infinity," said Rusty Rowley, a protest organizer from Hyattsville. "At least we're being noticed," said the 26-year-old engineer.

He and other organizers had planned a Baltimore rally for next month - that is, until they heard WHFS on 105.7 FM over the weekend. Their online prayers had been answered. They can hear Korn, Slipknot and Crossfade again - just not on 99.1 FM. (The station El Zol expects to change its call letters to WZLL-FM.)

On WHFS.com yesterday, listeners could take heart in the Web site's message: "You demanded WHFS come back. And here it is. Rock on." As for Rowley and the legion of WHFS loyalists, "You asked if we thought we could make a difference," he said yesterday.
T.Rex

Guiny

« Reply #275 on: January 26, 2005, 09:51:00 am »
The Foo Fighters at HFSestival, not a bad start.

Dandy01

« Reply #276 on: January 26, 2005, 02:08:00 pm »
Rock Format Dies But HFStival Lives
 New Venue Likely for Station's Concert
 By Paul Farhi
 Washington Post Staff Writer
 Wednesday, January 26, 2005; Page C01

The radio format that made it famous is gone, but the show will go on. The annual rock bacchanalia known as the HFStival will be held this year, officials said, despite the uncertainty caused by this month's sudden move away from rock by its sponsoring radio station, WHFS-FM.

The multiact extravaganza has been a Washington springtime ritual for more than a decade. Last year's show, with 36 performers, attracted 60,000 fans to an all-day marathon at RFK Stadium.

But the festival's existence was placed in doubt by Infinity Broadcasting's decision to do away with WHFS's alternative-rock format in favor of Spanish-language pop music on Jan. 12. Before the format flip, WHFS gave the concert hours of publicity and played the music of many of the featured bands.

Infinity spokeswoman Karen Mateo said yesterday that plans for this year's concert remain sketchy, but the company was committed to another go-round. Although no date, bands or venue have been chosen yet, "for all intents and purposes, yes, we plan to continue," she said. "We're working on it."

The rock show is a big moneymaker for Infinity, in contrast to the financially struggling WHFS -- a situation that prompted one local radio executive to describe WHFS as "a concert with a radio station."

Even with Infinity's commitment, several problems stand in the way of mounting an outdoor concert on the same scale as recent HFStivals.

For one, RFK Stadium most likely won't be available for another show this spring, given that the facility will be the home of the new Washington Nationals baseball team. Seth Hurwitz, owner of Washington's 9:30 club and producer of last year's HFStival, said he was working with Infinity on selecting a site but that it was "way too premature" to discuss it. "We're looking at our options. The people want [the show], the bands want it, and so does the company," said Hurwitz, who also heads I.M.P. Inc., the company that will operate Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia this season.

Further, the loss of WHFS as a rock station complicates Infinity's promotion of the event. The company late last week began airing WHFS-style alternative rock -- some of it hosted by former WHFS DJs -- on weekday nights starting at 7 and round the clock on weekends on Live 105.7, a station Infinity owns in Baltimore. In addition, Infinity and America Online have launched WHFS.com, a streaming-audio version of the defunct radio format.

But neither of these moves provides the same degree of promotional muscle in the Washington area that WHFS, based in Lanham, once provided. The signal of Live 105.7 can't be heard clearly in Washington or its immediate suburbs. And streaming-audio stations rarely capture more than a fraction of a broadcast station's local audience because they can't be heard in cars.

Mateo, the Infinity spokesman, said the majority of HFStival fans come from the Baltimore area. But as an alternative, she said the company is considering using one of its Washington area stations, WJFK-FM, to promote the concert.

It was unlikely, she said, that the new WHFS, nicknamed "El Zol" and soon to change its call letters to WZLL-FM, would be a very effective promoter of the show.

helicon1

« Reply #277 on: January 26, 2005, 03:28:00 pm »
I was out-of-town when the "switch" happened. So when I finally got back into my car last night and tuned to preset #2, I just started cracking up laughing. I knew the change happened but it still surprised me when I finally heard it. I kind of like the new format!

vansmack

« Reply #278 on: January 26, 2005, 06:09:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  Great just what we need, all those people who signed the petition thinking they had anything to do with HFS coming back on the air.  
The true test will be 2006 after the intial shock and people stop paying attention.  Again.
27>34

eltee

« Reply #279 on: January 26, 2005, 06:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by helicon1:
 I just started cracking up laughing. I knew the change happened but it still surprised me when I finally heard it. I kind of like the new format!
It is pretty funny. I'm thinking I'll listen to the new 99.1 now. A personal act to express the frustration from the HFS lost and what the station became. Not that it will cause any ripple, my one person stand.

Jaguär

« Reply #280 on: January 27, 2005, 01:45:00 am »
Now, I'm really pissed off!!!   :mad:  

Of all the complete and utter crap that is broadcasted over terrestrial radio, they had to go and remove the one and only show that I had any real care about and listened to on a regular basis. Now I have to go all the way to Charlotte, NC's WBT to listen to Coast To Coast fade in and out of the night sky.

It took them long enough to finally broadcast the show in the Baltimore market and then they did no real promotion for it. Over 500 affiliates and we still can't get a good pick-up of the show around here.

Why couldn't they replace one of the many Country, Hip Hop/R&B, ultra-shit Billboard Pop, Low-Carb "Lite", or extreme Right Wing talk shows that we have way too much of around this damned two bit town?

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #281 on: January 27, 2005, 02:05:00 am »
Originally posted by El Tee:
  It is pretty funny. I'm thinking I'll listen to the new 99.1 now. A personal act to express the frustration from the HFS lost and what the station became. Not that it will cause any ripple, my one person stand.
nope, it won't.  have fun!!
(o|o)

Relaxer

« Reply #282 on: November 14, 2014, 12:36:26 pm »
Looking for some assistance on the subject of Spanish music.

What are the leading Spanish music blogs and sites and publications? I'm researching this subject and am using the Google, but I know there's at least one fan of Spanish music here and I'm wondering what are some of the outlets that cover the music. Little help?
oword

Yada

« Reply #283 on: November 14, 2014, 01:04:38 pm »
Looking for some assistance on the subject of Spanish music.

What are the leading Spanish music blogs and sites and publications? I'm researching this subject and am using the Google, but I know there's at least one fan of Spanish music here and I'm wondering what are some of the outlets that cover the music. Little help?

I think you meant to post in the "hutch" thread.

Relaxer

« Reply #284 on: November 14, 2014, 01:08:51 pm »
I couldn't remember which boarder it was that was a big fan. Thanks for the reminder, I will cross-post.
oword