Author Topic: Grandaddy at the 9:30  (Read 12947 times)

jadetree

Re: Grandaddy at the 9:30
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2003, 11:14:00 am »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Jadetree/Ginger/Bob Pollard  
You forgot matthewsweet, I just came back to ask on the FAQ if I could buy Recher tickets for GBV at 9:30 box office, and I did not stop reading because I was upset or anything, I was not at all, I just thought the whole thing was really bizarre and decided not to read anymore.  I will bring the cd GGW.

markie

« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2003, 11:17:00 am »
GGW, do you have the old decemberists? I prefer that to the new one.......

And YAY! Jadetree is back. YAY!

ggw

« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2003, 11:18:00 am »
Originally posted by The Pariah:
  GGW, do you have the old decemberists? I prefer that to the new one.......

I do (if you are referring to Castaways and Cutouts).  I was just listening to it this morning, which is why I thought of it.

Bags

« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2003, 11:20:00 am »
The coolest thing about this post is that I can keep it all clear!  I was good on Markie up to Pariah.  And I didn't get jadetree as Pollard at all!

Man, I need to learn the member # of those two guys.

Hey Bubba/Pariah/Scientist/Anton/Markie --

Could you tell Jadetree/Ginger/Bob Pollard that I've got that Superdrag show for him.  Ask him if he could make a copy of the new Decemberists for me.

markie

« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2003, 11:25:00 am »
  I do (if you are referring to Castaways and Cutouts).  I was just listening to it this morning, which is why I thought of it.
Yes, Its really good. The new one isnt so good. There is no July july style pop to lift it......

Barcelona

« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2003, 11:55:00 am »
Does anybody know Home? How do they sound like?

ggw

« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2003, 12:09:00 pm »
Originally posted by Barcelona:
  Does anybody know Home? How do they sound like?
If you're looking for some awesome background music to a post- girlfriend pot- smoking session, you've found it.

http://pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/h/home/13-netherregions.shtml

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/h/home/xiv.shtml
  http://www.arenarockrecordingco.com/home/index.asp  

perhaps?

Home are lo-fi pioneers who are happy to leave that rubric behind. Think Built to Spill performing Dark Side of the Moon at the pyramids on millennium eve. (Who writes this stuff, anyway?)

http://www.jetsetrecords.com/bands/home/bio.asp

thirsty moore

« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2003, 12:20:00 pm »
The first sentence is fantastic!  The rest is absolute garbage.  Why is that style of reviewing popular?

Home are lo-fi pioneers who are happy to leave that rubric behind. Think Built to Spill performing Dark Side of the Moon at the pyramids on millennium eve.

Bags

« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2003, 12:42:00 pm »

Originally posted by Barcelona:
 [qb] Home are lo-fi pioneers who are happy to leave that rubric behind. Think Built to Spill performing Dark Side of the Moon at the pyramids on millennium eve. (Who writes this stuff, anyway?)
 [/b]
That sounds like a NIGHTMARE to me.  But that's just me, I'm very picky about my lo-fi.

broadkat

« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2003, 05:52:00 pm »
hey, anyone think this show's really gonna sell out?  i can't get tickets.com to load and i'm debating whether to use ticketmaster, tho i'd really hate to.

Jaguär

« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2003, 05:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by broadkat:
  hey, anyone think this show's really gonna sell out?  i can't get tickets.com to load and i'm debating whether to use ticketmaster, tho i'd really hate to.
Don't waste your time with Ticketbastards. They don't sell tickets for the 9:30 Club. It may just sell out so I'd get there early if you can. If all else fails, have back up plans or be prepared for an early night.

mankie

« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2003, 06:45:00 pm »
Originally posted by SPARX:

Originally posted by The Pariah:
  I will be going, along with Poorlulu, and Jadetree. The later of which is refusing to read the board, so calls up people to ask what is going on here.

So I am not quite sure if I am talking behind his back now, or not.

GGW, I have that CD of the Dandy Warhols from Sparx for you....... If you can remind me later about it...... Is there anything else you want bringing?

Oh and Rhett sent me an email which included the following, "We've made a pact with each other to no longer read the chatboard as of my last post"

I am sorry they are gone. And I am sorry if you all think I am a jerk.

Sorry.

Oh and lets please not drag it all up again.
Sorry to hear it.Tell Jadetree to get his butt back here!!It's water under the bridge at this point,right?I wondered what happened to that thread,it must've gotten even uglier. [/b]
What happened? What did I miss? A huge bust-up and I wasn't invited? DAMN YOU, DAMN YOU ALL!  :)

Jaguär

« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2003, 11:35:00 pm »
Grandaddy on Conan Friday night.

PR_GMR

« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2003, 02:18:00 am »
Just got back to Baltimore from the show.. And it was outstanding. All bands were good true and through. The Super Furries rawked! They played a superb set.

Night opener, Home, was a solid band. I'm not familiar with their catalogue, so can't talk specifics, but I strongly liked a couple of songs in their set. Can't say much about them. They made me think of Wilco, which isn't bad in my book. I wouldn't describe them as lo-fi, as someone posted above. Apparently, they've been around for a long while, as the guitarist made a reference of them playing at the 'old' 9:30 Club.

The Furries just put a great show, an excellent headlining set. I first saw the Furries at the new Ottobar here in Baltimore over a year ago. They were touring in support of Rings Around The World at the time. The venue was very small, but they played their asses off nonetheless. Tonight at the 9:30, they performed even better and to a larger crowd. This is a band that deserves more exposure here in the States, and I hope their fan base grows. With sets like the one they performed tonight, their name will grow. New exciting highlight tracks from their latest record Phantom Power, such as the all-out fun 'Golden Retriever' and the hard-rocking 'Out Of Control', were mixed in with the best tracks from 'Rings Around The World'. It was a pleasure hearing 'Juxtapose With You', 'Receptacle For The Respectable', and 'Run, Christian, Run'. 'Receptable..' was particularly amazing. They closed the set with their no-nonsense rocker, 'The Man Don't Give A Fuck'. They played most of that song, walked offstage as one of the members tweaked it, then returned onstage donning furry suits (as seen on the 'Golden Retriever' video). Just a great set--I'm taken by the Furries range in sound. Many of their songs metamorphose into surprisingly different tunes halfway through.. and they work. The Furries can go from rock band, to soul act, to techno-dance act, all in the course of one song and make it all stick together and work.

Grandaddy also played well... though I must confess I'm not familiar with their catalogue and wasn't particularly feeling their vibe. I'm only familiar with two songs of theirs. I've read Grandaddy fittingly described as 'Neil Young meets Aphex Twin' and that's a very fitting description and not a bad assestment of their sound. I do have a problem with them. The problem is their sound and mood is about the same in every song, and the repetitivenes is quite noticeable. My friend commented to me that he found them repetitive after a few songs. I matter-of-factly agreed. I do give them kudos for their choice of rear projection material: the video for the second song in their set, 'Yeah Is What We Had', was a very on-the-mark and saddening video about the beginning and end of a relationship. The video moves backwards, starting with the bitter end of the relationship and ending with the happy chance encounter of the couple while hailing a taxi. My friend and me both liked the song and video. A sad yet truthful video--we've all been there in that situation; me specially very recently. On a not-sad note, I liked the footage they showed of that one cat smacking the s hit out of that dog; that was one kickass cat. Is Grandaddy obsessed with cats or what? Although I found Grandaddy to be repetitive, I still found them partly enjoyable, and stuck around enough to hear my favorite song (out of the two songs I was familiar with..hehe), 'The Crystal Lake', which was a hit about three years ago.

So in general, a great show tonight at the 9:30. I'm so there.. when the Super Furry Animals again roll back through town.    :cool:

myuman

« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2003, 07:08:00 am »
I think PR_GMR pretty much hit it.  I however was very familiar with GD setlist, for I've been too lazy to take sumday out of the car player and it's been in there for weeks.  But even with familiarity, I agee.  The "farm boy" image that I was picking up isn't exactly what I go for in rock and roll.  SFA exceeded my expectations, but I'm not huge on their sound.  I go for GD's sound more (electronics, etc.), but wasn't totally impressed with the staging. So I rate them as equals on this night and give the night as a whole high marks.