Author Topic: "abuses" of Iraqi POW's  (Read 27184 times)

Barcelona

  • Member
  • Posts: 1342
Re: "abuses" of Iraqi POW's
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2004, 04:46:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by Shadrach:
  In fact they are outraged, as they should be. It's not like Bush or his advisors are over there taking shifts as prison guards.
I think that the administration, perhaps except for Collin Powell, wouldn't care at all if this hadn't been brought to the public. If they don't care about what they have done in Guantanamo, I think they wouldn't care about what has been going on in Irak. Also, we all know how little US governments have cared in the past about human lives, just look at Guatemala and El Salvador, yes this was 20 years ago, but I think these republicans haven't changed too much.

Guiny

  • Guest
Re: "abuses" of Iraqi POW's
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2004, 04:48:00 pm »
I think those Iraqi prisoners of war are alot better off then the murdered coaliton and American soldiers/contractors that were killed by their captors. Human rights groups don't say shit about that, but the second an American does the smallest thing, those human rights groups who are also American jump all over it......damn assholes!!!!!!!!! They wanna see torture, I'll show their dumbass's what torture is. I also don't think any U.S. soldier/contractor should get jail time, reprimanded yes, but not jailed. If we forgive and forget (which we will eventually do) the terrorists that murder our guys then we shouldnt ruin one of our peoples lives for not letting an Iraqi get more then four hours of sleep at a time.

Fico

  • Guest
Re: "abuses" of Iraqi POW's
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2004, 04:52:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by Ball Girl:
 
 I know it's not ideal, but it's a WAR...and the things they've been showing are mild when it comes to war atrocities...I'm not saying it's right.
This is one stupid response if I've ever heard one.... this is sickening and the fact that the people involved will most likely not be submitted to a court martial at the very least sends yet another signal that this administration is arrogant and irresponsible..
 
 Had this been done to US soldiers there wouldn't be enough apologies to prevent an all out revenge on the perpetrators...oh yeah, it was too much for Mr. Bush to say he was sorry... it's a shame that people like Jessica Lynch got a decent treatment in a hospital were medicines and attention where scarce...yet we the superpower with the resources resort to this... to say this has been blown out of proportion is to be incredibly unsensitive to the basic respect of human life and decency...

jkeisenh

  • Guest
Re: "abuses" of Iraqi POW's
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2004, 04:53:00 pm »
I have to thank my venegeful, eye-for-an-eye, anti-visionary co-posters for once again reminding me why I live in a nation so widely hated.
 
 "They did it first!"
 "It's not my fault!"
 "He started it!"
 "We're just giving them what they gave us!"
 "It's wrong, but they did it too, so what?!?"

brennser

  • Member
  • Posts: 3683
Re: "abuses" of Iraqi POW's
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2004, 04:53:00 pm »
exactly - they're not outraged that it happened - they're just outraged that it leaked out
 
 and can you imagine the shit that must be happening in Gitmo with a more disciplined group of soldiers who aren't dumb enough to take pictures incriminating themselves
 
 and yes, Bede, anyone who opposed women in the military on the grounds that they couldn't be as depraved as men can rest easy now
 
 "But dehumanizing the victim makes things simpler
 It's like breathing with a respirator
 It eases the conscience of even the most conscious
 and calculating violator
 Words can reduce a person to an object,
 something more easy to hate
 An inanimate entity, completely disposable,
 no problem to obliterate"
 
 
 
Quote
Originally posted by Barcelona:
   
Quote
Originally posted by Shadrach:
  In fact they are outraged, as they should be. It's not like Bush or his advisors are over there taking shifts as prison guards.
I think that the administration, perhaps except for Collin Powell, wouldn't care at all if this hadn't been brought to the public. If they don't care about what they have done in Guantanamo, I think they wouldn't care about what has been going on in Irak. Also, we all know how little US governments have cared in the past about human lives, just look at Guatemala and El Salvador, yes this was 20 years ago, but I think these republicans haven't changed too much. [/b]

  • Guest
Re: "abuses" of Iraqi POW's
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2004, 04:55:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by Fico:
  t's a shame that people like Jessica Lynch got a decent treatment in a hospital were medicines and attention where scarce
Was this before or after the Iraqis raped her unconscious body???

Fico

  • Guest
Re: "abuses" of Iraqi POW's
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2004, 04:59:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by Rob_Gee_a.k.a _Guiny:
  I think those Iraqi prisoners of war are alot better off then the murdered coaliton and American soldiers/contractors that were killed by their captors. Human rights groups don't say shit about that, but the second an American does the smallest thing, those human rights groups who are also American jump all over it......damn assholes!!!!!!!!! They wanna see torture, I'll show their dumbass's what torture is. I also don't think any U.S. soldier/contractor should get jail time, reprimanded yes, but not jailed. If we forgive and forget (which we will eventually do) the terrorists that murder our guys then we shouldnt ruin one of our peoples lives for not letting an Iraqi get more then four hours of sleep at a time.
Thanks Guiny, you remind me why people like George Bush govern this country when I'm all out of answers. Count yer blessings cos' you will probably never be at the other end of the abuses perpetrated by this and other administrations...but what comes around goes around.

Fico

  • Guest
Re: "abuses" of Iraqi POW's
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2004, 05:03:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by Dupek Chopra:
   
Quote
Originally posted by Fico:
 
Was this before or after the Iraqis raped her unconscious body??? [/b]
It's the first time I hear of such a thing. Are you running yer gob or has this been documented some place??? the 15 minutes I saw of her on tv seemed to suggest otherwise..

  • Guest
Re: "abuses" of Iraqi POW's
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2004, 05:07:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by Fico:
  It's the first time I hear of such a thing.
Then you had better clean the wax from your ears.

godsshoeshine

  • Member
  • Posts: 4826
Re: "abuses" of Iraqi POW's
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2004, 05:12:00 pm »
well, we didn't find any weapons of mass destruction or terror ties, so america turns to removing a terrible dictator that tortures and murders his own people. it doesn't bode well when it seems apparent that prisoners are murdered and tortured under the liberation. sure, this may be blown out of proportion in our eyes, but does that matter? i think if we put some people in jail, fired a high level d.o.d. employee or two, things will blow over. doubt it will happen though. even if higher level officials didn't know about it, they had subordinates that did. we are not at war with the iraqi people (only a quarter of these people are actually ever charged.), we need them to trust us.
o/\o

Bags

  • Member
  • Posts: 8512
Re: "abuses" of Iraqi POW's
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2004, 05:17:00 pm »
Good points there, folks.  It's not as bad as it could be, you should see some of the other war atrocities, they tortured our troops  -- yeah, let's torture them just a little less, let's commit atrocities that just aren't the worst....
 
 We are NOT a nation of an eye for an eye ('cept of course in death penalty-crazed Texas -- see a pattern?).  We are supposed to be civilized and seeking freedom for the world's citizens (why we are somehow blessed by [our] god to do so still eludes me, but that's what we do...).  
 
 I don't care if the torture makes the Iraqis hate us more, but what about the rest of the world?  Oh yeah, we already told them to fuck off. Then what about ourselves?
 
 If you don't think we should be holding ourselves to the highest standard, I'm even more afraid of where we're headed as a nation and a people than I thought I was.
 
 All that said, I can't say that I see a reason at this point to blame this on the Bush administration per se.  Sure, they're mostly all neo-con war mongers, but they weren't there and may not have known what's going on in particular facilities. The soldiers involved have violated international law, and there should be proceedings to deal with those violations.

redsock

  • Member
  • Posts: 1891
Re: "abuses" of Iraqi POW's
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2004, 05:28:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by Dupek Chopra:
   
Quote
Originally posted by Fico:
  t's a shame that people like Jessica Lynch got a decent treatment in a hospital were medicines and attention where scarce
Was this before or after the Iraqis raped her unconscious body??? [/b]
Sadly, stories like Lynch and Tillman are used far to ofter as pro-war propaganda by the powers that be. Though, I have to admit, the Lynch story has always been a little vague to me. But I guess I should have seen the TV movie made about it all, right?

Guiny

  • Guest
Re: "abuses" of Iraqi POW's
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2004, 05:34:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by Fico:
 [/qb]
Thanks Guiny, you remind me why people like George Bush govern this country when I'm all out of answers. Count yer blessings cos' you will probably never be at the other end of the abuses perpetrated by this and other administrations...but what comes around goes around. [/QB][/QUOTE]
 
 I guess if Sadaam Hussein is on the ballot, you'll be voting for him. Be glad Bush is governing this nation or else you might have already been hung for insulting your leader like Hussein woulda done. I do count my blessing cause i was over there at one time and luckily didnt get ambushed or caught. But i guarentee i'd rather have happen what the Americans did to the Iraqi prisoners and not happen what the insurgents do to us. Hangin' burnt from a bridge just doesn't do it for me.

vansmack

  • Member
  • Posts: 18133
Re: "abuses" of Iraqi POW's
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2004, 05:34:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by Shadrach:
  Where's the cover up? No one at the White House is denying that it happened.
Quote
Asked about a meeting with Rumsfeld yesterday in which Bush reportedly admonished his defense secretary, the president said, "I told him I should have known about the pictures and the report." In addition to the photos showing Iraqi prisoners being mistreated and humiliated, the military in March received a report from an Army major general detailing the abuse at Abu Ghraib and recommending disciplinary actions and other remedies.
   
27>34

Re: "abuses" of Iraqi POW's
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2004, 05:43:00 pm »
I don't recall anyone being hung for insulting ANY American president. I don't think the notion of NOT hanging someone for insulting the president started with the Bush administration.
 
 
 
Quote
Originally posted by Rob_Gee_a.k.a _Guiny:
   
Quote
Originally posted by Fico:
 [/b]
Thanks Guiny, you remind me why people like George Bush govern this country when I'm all out of answers. Count yer blessings cos' you will probably never be at the other end of the abuses perpetrated by this and other administrations...but what comes around goes around. [/QB]
I guess if Sadaam Hussein is on the ballot, you'll be voting for him. Be glad Bush is governing this nation or else you might have already been hung for insulting your leader like Hussein woulda done. I do count my blessing cause i was over there at one time and luckily didnt get ambushed or caught. But i guarentee i'd rather have happen what the Americans did to the Iraqi prisoners and not happen what the insurgents do to us. Hangin' burnt from a bridge just doesn't do it for me. [/QB][/QUOTE]