Author Topic: Best album of the nineties  (Read 23410 times)

markie

Re: Best album of the nineties
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2003, 02:25:00 pm »
How about,<P>Blur: Parklife<P>Verve: Urban hymns<P>otherwise I would give an additional vote for mezzanine. Anyone got Massive Attacks new album yet? I will be looking for mine later.<P>

BookerT

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2003, 02:37:00 pm »
the correct answer is "in the aeroplane over the sea" by neutral milk hotel.

jadetree

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2003, 02:38:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BookerT:<BR><B>the correct answer is "in the aeroplane over the sea" by neutral milk hotel. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>one I can finally somewhat agree with

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2003, 03:09:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markie:<BR><B>How about,<P>Blur: Parklife<P>Verve: Urban hymns<P>otherwise I would give an additional vote for mezzanine. Anyone got Massive Attacks new album yet? I will be looking for mine later.<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>well if entertainment weekly's to believe the new massive attack is a real snoozer<P>There's a thin line between clever and torpid, to paraphase Spinal Tap, and Massive Attack finally cross it on this drowsy return after a five-year layoff.  Featuring only one founding member and absent the hip-hop trances of past albums, 100th window is a series of often still-born soundscapes.  Guest Sinead O'Connor can't decide whether she wants to parody herself(the simplistic, save-the-children rant of "A Prayer for England") or be alt-rock's Enya(her other, more placid contributions).  Beautically recorded, but so are most New Age records.  (Grade C)<BR>
T.Rex

Lamb007

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2003, 03:13:00 pm »
Superdrag "Head Trip In Every Key"

Fico

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2003, 03:16:00 pm »
I'd say:<P>Oasis-Definitely Maybe<BR>Nevermind- Nirvana<BR>New Radicals- Maybe you've been Brainwashed Too<BR>Radiohead- the Bends<BR>Smashing Pumpkins- Siamese Dream<BR>

markie

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2003, 03:18:00 pm »
back to massive attack......<BR> <A HREF="http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/fridayreview/story/0,12102,889908,00.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/fridayreview/story/0,12102,889908,00.html[/url] <P>Well the guardian does not entirely approve either and I guess if it was a new album by a new band it would either get a real roasting or be completely ignored.<P>Still with a back-catalogue as good as theirs, well I want to find out for myself what it is like.

Relaxer

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2003, 03:24:00 pm »
MBV - Loveless<BR>Verve - Northern Soul<BR>Radiohead - Bends<BR>Portishead - Dummy<BR>Pavement - S&E<P>Personal fave:<BR>Luna - Penthouse
oword

jadetree

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2003, 03:34:00 pm »
Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane over the See<BR>Wilco - Being There<BR>Son Volt - Trace<BR>Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream<BR>Guided by Voices - Mag Earwhig!<BR>Pearl Jam - No Code<BR>Weezer - Blue Album<BR>Modest Mouse - This Is a Long Drive for Someone With Nothing to Think About<P>oh and the best <P>Jeff Buckley - Grace <p>[This message has been edited by jadetree (edited 02-10-2003).]

keithstg

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2003, 03:45:00 pm »
I had forgotten about Penthouse. What a great disc. Hopefully Luna will come around again soon.

Dandy01

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2003, 03:53:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markie:<BR><B>back to massive attack......<BR> <A HREF="http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/fridayreview/story/0,12102,889908,00.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/fridayreview/story/0,12102,889908,00.html[/url] <P>Well the guardian does not entirely approve either and I guess if it was a new album by a new band it would either get a real roasting or be completely ignored.<P>Still with a back-catalogue as good as theirs, well I want to find out for myself what it is like.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I saw Massive Attack's video for their first single and found myself captivated, both by the video and the music.  The song was mellow and electronically entrancing, don't remember any outstanding vocals, and the video was a interesting depiction of life progression from fetus to adult and then back again.  I wouldn't write this album off yet.  I hear it also incorporates more middle eastern sounds than previously, don't know if that is necessarily a good thing.  Hopefully, the lack of most of the original members doesn't translate into a sorely audible loss.<BR>

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2003, 04:00:00 pm »
Eric Matthews "It's Heavy In Here"
😐 🎶

BookerT

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2003, 04:03:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by keithstg:<BR><B> Hopefully Luna will come around again soon.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>If there is one band you don't have to worry if they will come around again soon or not, it is undoubtedly luna. I think they play the area 6-8 times a year. It's ridiculous.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2003, 04:09:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by beetsnotbeats:<BR><B>Eric Matthews "It's Heavy In Here"</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>good choice.... have you heard Cardinal it's a stunner as well
T.Rex

BookerT

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2003, 04:20:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by keithstg:<BR><B> Hopefully Luna will come around again soon.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>If there is one band you don't have to worry if they will come around again soon or not, it is undoubtedly luna. I think they play the area 6-8 times a year. It's ridiculous.