Author Topic: Best album of the nineties  (Read 23398 times)

Joymonster

• MySpace
Re: Best album of the nineties
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2003, 01:18:00 am »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by colonoscopy:<BR><B>Hot Hot Heat - Makeup The Breakdown<BR>Aesop Rock - Labor Days<BR>Sage Francis - Personal Journals<BR>DJ Spooky - Riddim Warfare<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>With the exception of "Riddim Warfare", none of those albums were released in the 90's.<P>

colonoscopy

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2003, 01:34:00 am »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joymonster:<BR><B> With the exception of "Riddim Warfare", none of those albums were released in the 90's.<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Wait we aren't in the nineties anymore?<P>Alright Pee on My Parade.<P>and make me feel like an idiot.<P>Wu Tang - Enter the 36 chambers<BR>Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride II<BR>Oukast - ATLiens<P><BR>but enough with rap.<P><BR>These aren't the best, just the first that come to mind.<P>

Joymonster

• MySpace
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2003, 09:21:00 am »
Ahh... best hip hop release from the 90's:<P>Nas- "Illmatic"<P> <P>

Henry Dark

« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2003, 09:44:00 am »
PE Fear of a Black Planet<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joymonster:<BR><B>Ahh... best hip hop release from the 90's:<P>Nas- "Illmatic"<P> <P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

Captain Jack

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2003, 10:11:00 am »
Soundgarden - Superunknown

keithstg

« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2003, 10:36:00 am »
Aside from Nas's "Illmatic", Tribe's Low End Theory deserves a nod as one of the top rap albums of the 90s.

Relaxer

« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2003, 11:22:00 am »
For best hip-hop album in the 90s, I'd rank'em as:<P>1. Nas - Illmatic<BR>2. Wu Tang - 36 Chambers<BR>3. PE - Fear of a Black Planet<BR>4. Notorious BIG - Ready to Die<BR>5. JayZ - Reasonable Doubt <BR>6. Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory<BR>7. DMX - Its Dark and Hell is Hot<BR>8. De La Soul - Is Dead<BR>9. 2Pac - All Eyez on Me<BR>10. Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx<BR>
oword

chills

« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2003, 11:56:00 am »
My Bloody Valentine â?? Loveless, hands (and heads) down.<P>huh, I thought that was late 80's, but it was 1991.  <P>Good one.  That is just a fabulous album.

colonoscopy

« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2003, 11:19:00 pm »
how come i see an exclusion of any OutKast from the hip hop lists?<P><BR>...except mine.<p>[This message has been edited by colonoscopy (edited 02-11-2003).]

paige

« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2003, 11:26:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Relaxer:<BR><B>For best hip-hop album in the 90s, I'd rank'em as:<P>1. Nas - Illmatic<BR>2. Wu Tang - 36 Chambers<BR>3. PE - Fear of a Black Planet<BR>4. Notorious BIG - Ready to Die<BR>5. JayZ - Reasonable Doubt <BR>6. Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory<BR>7. DMX - Its Dark and Hell is Hot<BR>8. De La Soul - Is Dead<BR>9. 2Pac - All Eyez on Me<BR>10. Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>no j5?<BR>

Joymonster

• MySpace
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2003, 12:18:00 am »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Relaxer:<BR><B>For best hip-hop album in the 90s, I'd rank'em as:<P>1. Nas - Illmatic<BR>2. Wu Tang - 36 Chambers<BR>3. PE - Fear of a Black Planet<BR>4. Notorious BIG - Ready to Die<BR>5. JayZ - Reasonable Doubt <BR>6. Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory<BR>7. DMX - Its Dark and Hell is Hot<BR>8. De La Soul - Is Dead<BR>9. 2Pac - All Eyez on Me<BR>10. Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>My list would be similar except I would had replaced De La Soul and DMX with Pete Rock &C.L. Smooth "Mecca and The Soul Brother", and Black Moon "Enta Da Stage".

Barcelona

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2003, 02:19:00 am »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Venerable Bede:<BR><B>my favourites from the 90s:<P>red house painters- self titled (rollercoaster)<P>pavement- crooked rain crooked rain<P>guided by voices- bee thousand<P>small factory- for if you cannot fly<P>sugar- copper blue<P>low- the curtain hits the cast<P>luna- penthouse (i second that)<P>there are probably a ton i'm forgetting, but that's off the top of my head.<P>[This message has been edited by Venerable Bede (edited 02-10-2003).]</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>You put Low and Luna at the same level as Pavement's "crooked rain crooked rain"? Are you sure? I saw Low and Luna last year at the Blackcat and I think they were two of the worst shows I saw.<BR>

BLACKSTORM

« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2003, 08:55:00 am »
VERVE - A STROM IN HEAVEN<P>OASIS - DEFINATELY MAYBE<P>FAITH NO MORE - ANGEL DUST<P>CHRIS ISSAK - FOREVER BLUE<P>RADIOHEAD - THE BENDS (ALL THE REST OF THEIR ALBUMS SUCK!)<P>RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE - EVIL EMPIRE<P>

jadetree

« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2003, 08:59:00 am »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BLACKSTORM:<BR><B>VERVE - A STROM IN HEAVEN<P>OASIS - DEFINATELY MAYBE<P>FAITH NO MORE - ANGEL DUST<P>CHRIS ISSAK - FOREVER BLUE<P>RADIOHEAD - THE BENDS (ALL THE REST OF THEIR ALBUMS SUCK!)<P>RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE - EVIL EMPIRE<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Forever Blue and Evil Empire are not even the best albums of the nineties from those artists.

Relaxer

« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2003, 09:36:00 am »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by paige:<BR><B> no j5?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I don't really consider them a 90s band, as my favorite J5 discs were released in 2000 and last year. <P>Gang Starr's 'Daily Operation' and Method Man's 'Tical' were serious contenders, as I really like both of those. <P>I know that DMX has kind of nose-dived in quality, but I can't get over the power of his first album. He's like Tupac -- doesn't have a great voice, flow or sense of rhythm, but just overwhelms with charismatic menace.
oword