Author Topic: Best album of the nineties  (Read 22998 times)

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
Re: Best album of the nineties
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2003, 04:45:00 pm »
"OK Computer" and "Siamese Dream" both have moments of brilliance, but as a whole, they are seriously overrated.
_\|/_

keithstg

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2003, 04:57:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BookerT:<BR><B> If there is one band you don't have to worry if they will come around again soon or not, it is undoubtedly luna. I think they play the area 6-8 times a year. It's ridiculous. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Good point - they are always around, it seems. More so if you make the drive to NYC...

wingelbert humptyback

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2003, 05:19:00 pm »
i dont think i could pick a best album of the 90s, but off the top of my head some of my favorites would be:<P>radiohead - the bends<BR>kent - isola<BR>sunny day real estate - diary<BR>the charlatans - some friendly<P>as for Massive Attack, I'd be surprised if the new album manages to do anything noteworthy. I think it'd take a lot of revinventing at this point for them to redefine themselves beyond the limits of the very genre of music they helped pioneer. trip hop is just on it's last legs and they're going to need a lot more than some Eastern instrumentation (something that's been done to death in both Trip Hop and electronic music in general) to really blow people's minds. On the other hand, losing most of their members couldn't possibly devastate their sound any more than it did to Gus Gus.<BR><p>[This message has been edited by wingelbert humptyback (edited 02-10-2003).]

markie

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2003, 05:26:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wingelbert humptyback:<BR><B><BR>as for Massive Attack, I'd be surprised if the new album manages to do anything noteworthy.<BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well Mezzanine was rather fine, and noteworthy. That album only featured two of the original members. I dont see why this album or future albums should not be great.

chills

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2003, 05:27:00 pm »
Sugar's Beaster ranks on the top of my list (although i guess it was technically an EP at a borderline 30 minutes).  For me, it seemed to really sum up the dismal reaction to the flamboyant 80's in a way that wasn't just radio-grunge.  Plus, arguably, it was the last decent creative expression from Bob Mould, which is kinda too bad.<P>

wingelbert humptyback

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2003, 05:45:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markie:<BR><B> Well Mezzanine was rather fine, and noteworthy. That album only featured two of the original members. I dont see why this album or future albums should not be great.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Maybe I am too much of a pessimist, but I think Mezzanine was released at a point when there was still room left for growth in that genre. Now it's 2003, and trip hop seems to me like it's been sucked dry. <BR>Besides, Mezzanine had Liz Frasier on it. That automatically means it's a better album. =)

grotty

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2003, 05:48:00 pm »
[Eric Matthews "It's Heavy In Here"]<P>Hmmm...haven't listened to that one in a while. I think I'll go give it a spin.

markie

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2003, 06:21:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wingelbert humptyback:<BR><B> Maybe I am too much of a pessimist, but I think Mezzanine was released at a point when there was still room left for growth in that genre. Now it's 2003, and trip hop seems to me like it's been sucked dry. <BR>Besides, Mezzanine had Liz Frasier on it. That automatically means it's a better album. =)</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>like that then RnR should have had the decency to die in 1969? By that point almost everything had been done, right?<P>I dont think you can predict an end of a genre so easily. Perhaps later additions to the genre are less novel, but it does not mean they are without merit. Or perhaps they will kick start a whole new genre, like blue lines did.<P>Oh and BTW its Liz Fraser. Personally I like Tracey Thorn and Horace Andy<P>

wingelbert humptyback

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2003, 06:58:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markie:<BR><B> I dont think you can predict an end of a genre so easily. Perhaps later additions to the genre are less novel, but it does not mean they are without merit. Or perhaps they will kick start a whole new genre, like blue lines did.<P>Oh and BTW its Liz Fraser. Personally I like Tracey Thorn and Horace Andy<BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ah, that is a <B>massively</B> unforgiving type-o, but it happens. I'll never listen to "This Love" the same way again, I assure you.<BR>Anyway, I agree that it sounds somewhat silly to predict the end of a genre, but it does happen. And either way, I wasn't predicting it's demise as much as noting it's running on fumes. Personally, the fact trip hop was so novel and forward thinking during it's inception is much of what drew me to it in the first place. Once Babyfox died off and Lamb began rehashing their own breakthrough ideas, I began to lose interest. The fact is there <I>were</I> a handful of artists pushing the envelope there and I have trouble accepting the meager remains who seem quite content with just regurgitating "Blue Lines". That's just my opinion.

happiness is all the rage

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2003, 07:00:00 pm »
i love dookie too... but being the huuuuge TPR fan that i am, i'm going to go with Very Emergency.  call it pop all you want... i lurve it <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by paige:<BR><B>greenday - dookie. well its one of my favorites... maybe not THE BEST</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

markie

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2003, 07:05:00 pm »
but isnt the point that everyone wishes they would regurgitate blue lines, but instead they are taking different musical avenues?<P>The reviews of this album sure dont sound like blue lines to me.<P>Personally I am not a big trip-hop expert. But blue lines and meazzanine were part of lifes soundtrack back home.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2003, 09:26:00 pm »
my favourites from the 90s:<P>red house painters- self titled (rollercoaster)<P>pavement- crooked rain crooked rain<P>guided by voices- bee thousand<P>small factory- for if you cannot fly<P>sugar- copper blue<P>low- the curtain hits the cast<P>luna- penthouse (i second that)<P>there are probably a ton i'm forgetting, but that's off the top of my head.<p>[This message has been edited by Venerable Bede (edited 02-10-2003).]
OU812

myuman

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2003, 10:20:00 pm »
To add to my OK computer vote, since I didn't see it here... would be Ten by PJ.  I was in college at the time, and thought Nirvana stunk, but for some reason, this album got continuous play for... well, I still listen to it at times.  I remember thinking that it was the first grunge (more pop grunge) that I took to... and certainly more listener friendly than Green River and Mudhoney.

walkman

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2003, 10:46:00 pm »
My Bloody Valentine â?? Loveless, hands (and heads) down.<P>Mercury Rev â?? Deserter's Songs is another one that's up there...I haven't seen it posted yet.

colonoscopy

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2003, 11:59:00 pm »
Hot Hot Heat - Makeup The Breakdown<BR>Aesop Rock - Labor Days<BR>Sage Francis - Personal Journals<BR>DJ Spooky - Riddim Warfare<P><BR>I'm getting Verklemped, talks amongst yourselves.