Author Topic: Mogwai Plan New LP in June  (Read 8087 times)

wingelbert humptyback

Mogwai Plan New LP in June
« on: February 12, 2003, 01:07:00 pm »
<BR><B>thank you jeebus...</B><P>Mogwai's Stuart Braithwaite has revealed to Pitchfork that the band are presently at work on their fourth full-length album in a studio in Cava, Glasgow. The band's official follow-up to 2001's Rock Action, which was produced by Dave Fridmann and included guest appearances from the Super Furry Animals' Gruff Rhys and ex-Slint/Tortoise/current Zwan guitarist Dave Pajo, is presently slated for release sometime in June.<P>Tentatively titled Bag of Agony, the record is being produced by Tony Doogan, known for his engineering and production work on previous Mogwai records, as well as records by Belle & Sebastian, The Delgados, The Reindeer Section, Teenage Fanclub, and just about any other Scottish band you can think of (except The Beta Band). The only guest appearances on Bag of Agony thus far are from ex-Long Fin Killie and Bows frontman Luke Sutherland and cellist Caroline Barber, who have both contributed their talents to other Mogwai releases, and, according to Braithwaite, possibly "some members of new bitter record shop workers combo The Caesarian Section."<P>The tracklist is as-yet unconfirmed, but Braithwaite did mention "Everyday Is a Schoolday", "John Dies at 56", "Kids Will/Become Skeletons", "Hunted by a Freak", and "Jebus Sabes" as some of the songs they're presently working on. When asked what he imagined the record would sound, Braithwaite said: "It will sound good, I hope. Like musical slippers and sweet milk. We will channel our hatred."<P>Mogwai are also gearing up for a brief UK tour with the "electronic Kraut punk band" Kling Klang, who've just signed a deal with Mogwai's own Rock Action label. It is expected that a U.S. tour will be planned closer to the release of Bag of Agony in June. Dates:<P>02-23 Glasgow, Scotland - Stereo<BR>02-24 Glasgow, Scotland - Live on Radio Scotland<BR>02-28 Manchester, England - TMESIS<BR>03-01 London, England - Arts Cafe<P>In related news, Mogwai drummer Martin Bulloch is selling his old pacemaker for charity on eBay. According to the auction description, the pacemaker includes Martin's hospital wristband and his European pacemaker ID card, "which enables Martin to get searched every single time he goes through an airport metal-detector." In addition, the winning bidder will receive three rare-ish Mogwai releases: the Travels in Constants EP released by Temporary Residence, a Japanese version of the My Father, My King single, and a vinyl test pressing of the Rock Action LP. Proceeds go to the British Heart Foundation. Like the band sez: "Get your old coins oot!"<P>

BookerT

Re: Mogwai Plan New LP in June
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2003, 01:20:00 pm »
I bet I know what it's gonna sound like: soft, soft, LOUD, soft, atmospheric noodling, LOUD, LOUD. repeat 11 times. Personally, haven't been too impressed with anything since "Young Team." <P>

Relaxer

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2003, 02:51:00 pm »
I haven't been real hot on their full-length LPs since "Young Team" either ("Ten Rapid" is their best, I think). I thought "Come On Die Young" was good enough, but a slight dip in quality. And I never got into "Rock Action," even though I tried. That said, their EPs have been great. The "EP+2" (with 'Stanley Kubrick') was great, and I still listen to the "My Father My King" constantly.  <BR>That said, their live sound is always fantastic. I've got a couple bootleg live shows and they're really great, better than any of the albums I think.
oword

wingelbert humptyback

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2003, 03:06:00 pm »
i actually think rock action is an excellent album. i can understand it's not for everyone, but i definitely don't think their sound and songwriting can summed up so easily by any such formula. and like relaxer, i've given "my father my king" plenty of air time. i think that track is a shining example of what that band is capable of. i also agree that regardless of whether or not you appreciate the later albums, their live shows are always impressive.

Ikarus

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2003, 07:47:00 pm »
sweet.  it'd be nice if they could get their shit straight with the 930 and play here again.  the show in 2001 was crazy good.<p>[This message has been edited by Ikarus (edited 02-12-2003).]

walkman

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2003, 08:05:00 pm »
Fully agree that Rock Action is a wonderful disc.  Probably their best in this guy's opinion.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2003, 08:19:00 pm »
somehow i survived the 930 show in 2001, but wisely chose the earplugs for the ottobar show last year (thanks again to nkotb).
OU812

nkotb

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2003, 10:39:00 am »
I wonder if the drummer is hurting for $$$, since he's selling his pacemaker on eBay...<BR> <A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2506191464&category=20050" TARGET=_blank>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2506191464&category=20050[/url]

Ikarus

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2003, 11:35:00 am »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nkotb:<BR><B>I wonder if the drummer is hurting for $$$, <BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>"...we'll donate the money to the British Heart Foundation"  <P>still, you'd think he kind of needs it.  must've gotten an upgrade or something.  the extras are cool though.

Ikarus

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2003, 02:10:00 pm »
and somewhat related, i belive arab strap has a new album coming out the month after next next.  and there was much rejoicing.

BookerT

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2003, 02:49:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ikarus:<BR><B>and somewhat related, i belive arab strap has a new album coming out the month after next next.  and there was much rejoicing.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>i bet i know what this one will sound like, too. mumbly joe about bad sex and life sucking, more mumbly joe over slow, somewhat programmed music with neither highs nor lows. repeat.<P>oh, i kid, i kid. i actually dig arab strap, much more so than mogwai. but i gotta say that their live disc, "mad for sadness" is probably my favorite one. good stuff. "red thread" was pretty good, too, i wouldn't be surprised if their new one is their best yet. and i base that on absolutely nothing.<P>

wingelbert humptyback

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2003, 03:01:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BookerT:<BR><B> i bet i know what this one will sound like, too. mumbly joe about bad sex and life sucking, more mumbly joe over slow, somewhat programmed music with neither highs nor lows. repeat.<BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Actually, Mumbly Joe left the band two months ago to forge a solo career making alt-country. <P>totally.<P>

Venerable Bede

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2003, 03:13:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nkotb:<BR><B>I wonder if the drummer is hurting for $$$, since he's selling his pacemaker on eBay... </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>well. . there is a mogwai song in the new levi's commerical.
OU812

markie

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2003, 03:16:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Venerable Bede:<BR><B> well. . there is a mogwai song in the new levi's commerical.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>which one?<P>Not the buffalo one, surely?

Venerable Bede

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2003, 03:17:00 pm »
yup. . .i believe that's a mogwai song being played in that commercial.  it's quiet, quiet, quiet, LOUD, LOUD, LOUD, quiet, quiet, etc.
OU812