Author Topic: New Bands  (Read 4221 times)

Barcelona

New Bands
« on: October 05, 2004, 08:55:00 pm »
You may have already talked about this band, but for what I've listened to so far, this might be a great band.

The Arcade Fire

Any other new or recent band?

sonickteam2

Re: New Bands
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2004, 10:02:00 pm »
I am digging the new Midnight Movies CD

Midnight Movies

Bags

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2004, 11:28:00 pm »
Does anyone know the Saturday People?  I almost bought this CD as it was filed under Velocity Girl, but I held off in the end....

From AMG:  by MacKenzie Wilson

Hailing from the nook that brought Tuscadero, the Dusters, and Unrest, the Saturday People define their own lush indie rock with jangly guitars and an effervescent live persona. The band â?? which features Velocity Girl expatriate Archie Moore (bass), ex-Tree Fort Angst mate Terry Banks (guitar), Dan Searing (drums) from the Ropers, and the Castaway Stones' Greg Pavlovcak (guitar/vocals) â?? have been perfecting their own folk-pop influential stylings in their native D.C. since the late '90s. The debut single Feel So Real was issued in 1999, but their proper self-titled studio effort appeared on Slumberland in early 2001.

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004, 09:10:00 am »
I think I once met one of the guys in that band. They're alright.

Originally posted by Bags:
  Does anyone know the Saturday People?  I almost bought this CD as it was filed under Velocity Girl, but I held off in the end....

From AMG:  by MacKenzie Wilson

Hailing from the nook that brought Tuscadero, the Dusters, and Unrest, the Saturday People define their own lush indie rock with jangly guitars and an effervescent live persona. The band â?? which features Velocity Girl expatriate Archie Moore (bass), ex-Tree Fort Angst mate Terry Banks (guitar), Dan Searing (drums) from the Ropers, and the Castaway Stones' Greg Pavlovcak (guitar/vocals) â?? have been perfecting their own folk-pop influential stylings in their native D.C. since the late '90s. The debut single Feel So Real was issued in 1999, but their proper self-titled studio effort appeared on Slumberland in early 2001.

malkmess

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004, 09:19:00 am »
there's a london band called special needs who just released their new single "francesca" in the uk... check them out, they're terrific..

www.specialneedsweb.com

(yes, they know their band name isn't great)

sonickteam2

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2004, 09:33:00 am »
Originally posted by malkmess:
  there's a london band called special needs who just released their new single "francesca" in the uk... check them out, they're terrific..

www.specialneedsweb.com

neither is thier website...yuk. i cant bear to look at it....

redsock

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2004, 09:48:00 am »
Action Action is pretty cool.... except for their commercial on MTV2. Who does that except for lame emo bands? They are neither lame nor emo, if that helps.

Barcelona

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2004, 10:37:00 am »
Thanks, I'll check these bands.

However, the more I listen to the songs on the album, the more I like this band http://www.arcadefire.com

According to Allmusic.com, similar artists include the Pixies, Interpol, Roxy Music or David Bowie. Influenced by Talking Heads, one of the best bands ever, good sign.

ggw

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2004, 10:49:00 am »
Originally posted by Barcelona:
 However, the more I listen to the songs on the album, the more I like this band  http://www.arcadefire.com

Agreed.

malkmess

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2004, 12:07:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:

Originally posted by malkmess:

www.specialneedsweb.com

neither is thier website...yuk. i cant bear to look at it.... [/b]
try this instead, it's got all the good stuff on it anyway:

http://www.poptones.co.uk/bands/specialneeds/media.htm

Jaguär

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2004, 11:23:00 pm »
Originally posted by Barcelona:
  You may have already talked about this band, but for what I've listened to so far, this might be a great band.

The Arcade Fire

Any other new or recent band?
They're okay but I much prefer Amusement Parks On Fire. A little more sophisticated and not as Poppy sounding but they still rock.

Medusa

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2004, 12:52:00 am »
A recent "trend" it seems - bands with "movie" in their name ... The Movies, Monster Movie, Midnight Movies - whatever is next?  ;)

Cheers

DJ Medusa.

Jaguär

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2004, 01:21:00 am »
Originally posted by Medusa:

A recent "trend" it seems - bands with "movie" in their name ... The Movies, Monster Movie, Midnight Movies - whatever is next?   ;)  

Cheers

DJ Medusa. [/b]
I remember looking for Monster Movie in DCCD the infamous Sunday of the not to happen Radiohead show at Bull Run and I kept finding all kinds of bands with Monster or Movie in their names but no Monster Movie. Ended up having to buy them online.

Fico

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2004, 10:38:00 am »
- Bloc Party
 - Cartel

Bags

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2004, 12:11:00 pm »
I just bought Bloc Party, but haven't listened to it yet.  Also picked up The Fever.  I'll report back...