Author Topic: The National  (Read 13486 times)

Chulahoma

The National
« on: May 16, 2007, 04:11:00 pm »
is anyone else addicted to this band??  I've been listening to the Alligator album nonstop the past few days, and I recently received an advanced copy of their cd, Boxer, which is solid.

alex

Re: The National
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 04:27:00 pm »
The Arcade Fire show was the first I'd ever heard them, and I thought they were great.

jbcapati

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 04:29:00 pm »
I first heard of the National when I went to the MusicNow Festival in Cinci in April (Sufjan, My Brightest Diamond, Amiina).  It was curated by one of the guys in the National.  I got hold of Boxer and can't stop listening to it.  Best 2007 release I've heard this year.  Got tix for their June show at the club.

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 04:52:00 pm »
They are average to good. I have one of their old albums. I listened to their new album on their myspace page. My wife said it sounded like generic 90's rock. I can't say that I really disagree. How do they differ from that which the Tindersticks or American Music Club have already done?

ggw

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 05:47:00 pm »
Markie, Lulu, and Pollard turned me on to the National when they did an opening slot for ??? at the club a few years back.  I didn't know anything about them and was a little freaked when I noticed that one of the guitarists looked just like the drummer and the other guitarist looked just like the bass player.

Darth Ed

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 12:00:00 am »
Their headlining show at the Black Cat in March 2006 was excellent. I've already got my ticket to their upcoming 9:30 Club show and am looking forward to it! I've heard mostly raves about Boxer, but I haven't heard it myself yet.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 02:25:00 am »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Markie, Lulu, and Pollard turned me on to the National when they did an opening slot for ??? at the club a few years back.  
Wasn't it for The Tyde? But wasn't it at the Velvet Lounge?

ggw

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 11:08:00 am »
Originally posted by Jaguar:

Markie, Lulu, and Pollard turned me on to the National when they did an opening slot for ??? at the club a few years back.  
Wasn't it for The Tyde? But wasn't it at the Velvet Lounge? [/b]
Thanks to the magic of the interweb, I've determined it was with Weird War and the Walkmen.

ratioci nation

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 11:22:00 am »
I cant remember who played with the Tyde at the velvet lounge, but I dont think it was The National.  The only opener I have ever heard for the first time and liked at Velvet Lounge was The High Strung opening for Brian Jonestown.  I actually think I first heard of The National several years ago when Rhett hyped them on here, and now he says they aren't that great. Oh well.

nkotb

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 11:28:00 am »
I saw them at the same show, and my only reaction was to ask econo "Are these dudes British?"  They carried themselves like some Britpop wannabes.

That being said, I haven't heard a full album, but I'll be damned if "Fake Empire" isn't a great song.

Thanks to the magic of the interweb, I've determined it was with Weird War and the Walkmen.

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 11:38:00 am »
Wasn't me that hyped the National. I don't think I heard them until they were talked up on this board, and I only got one of their albums a couple of years ago.

Were you at the Velvet Lounge show where Arlo opened for Rilo Kiley? I know econo, markie, and lulu were there. I think there were maybe  a dozen people at that show, and I probably knew ten of them. Two guys from Arlo got in a fight/wrestling match midset, and we (celeste and I) ended up leaving before Rilo Kiley came on.

Originally posted by pdx pollard:

I cant remember who played with the Tyde at the velvet lounge, but I dont think it was The National.  The only opener I have ever heard for the first time and liked at Velvet Lounge was The High Strung opening for Brian Jonestown.  I actually think I first heard of The National several years ago when Rhett hyped them on here, and now he says they aren't that great. Oh well. [/b]

ratioci nation

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 12:07:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  Wasn't me that hyped the National. I don't think I heard them until they were talked up on this board, and I only got one of their albums a couple of years ago.

Were you at the Velvet Lounge show where Arlo opened for Rilo Kiley? I know econo, markie, and lulu were there. I think there were maybe  a dozen people at that show, and I probably knew ten of them. Two guys from Arlo got in a fight/wrestling match midset, and we (celeste and I) ended up leaving before Rilo Kiley came on.
I am almost certain it was, I think you had heard them on KEXP, and not from the album.  You may have forgot, but I liked the description so looked for the album in cd exchange for a while after that. Didnt actually hear them until after Markie and Lulu saw them by chance in New York and bought the album.  If only there was a search feature, although the thread may not exist anymore.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 07:42:00 pm »
I have no idea why their new album has gotten very good to excellent reviews. This is such an underwhelming record. In other words, this ain't no Alligator...
(_|_)

ggw

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 11:45:00 pm »
Originally posted by wanderlust aka joe marshmallow:
  I have no idea why their new album has gotten very good to excellent reviews. This is such an underwhelming record. In other words, this ain't no Funeral...

yinzer

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2007, 09:49:00 am »
it could be another alligator.  alligator wasn't alligator the first few plays.