Author Topic: The Nats Thread  (Read 306307 times)

vansmack

Re: The Nats Thread
« Reply #285 on: September 16, 2014, 01:05:56 pm »
Heard on the radio that Williams was considering leaving Zimmerman on the bench as a DH

I think you meant PH.  Or if Williams is already working out his World Series roster, then you've got bigger problems...
27>34

shemptiness

« Reply #286 on: September 16, 2014, 01:26:31 pm »
Heard on the radio that Williams was considering leaving Zimmerman on the bench as a DH

I think you meant PH.  Or if Williams is already working out his World Series roster, then you've got bigger problems...

He's talking about DHing in the instructional league.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #287 on: September 16, 2014, 01:49:38 pm »
Heard on the radio that Williams was considering leaving Zimmerman on the bench as a DH and possibly to come in relief in left field or at first base.
this doesnt really make any sense when you consider ryans defense is his liability at this point. you dont put a defensive downgrade in as a late game sub

i dont really have any doubt that ryan will be a starter come playoff time.
Or he'll work left field or first base to give some guys a day off. Like I said, this was just a report on the radio. I thought it was interesting. Seeing as how Desmond and Cabrera have been since he joined the team and Rendon on 3rd.
‼‼?‼‼

hutch

« Reply #288 on: September 16, 2014, 10:37:13 pm »
yay! first team to clinch!

so who will we play??

i'm hoping someone takes me to a playoff game.. :)

vansmack

« Reply #289 on: September 17, 2014, 02:32:40 am »
yay! first team to clinch

Actually,  Anaheim clinched a playoff spot last night,  but it happened after you went to sleep so I'm not surprised you missed it.
27>34

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #290 on: September 17, 2014, 06:11:53 am »
first team to clinch a division though. bit more celebration worthy

on that note, how crazy is it that the nats hadnt actually clnched a playoff spot at all until they won the division for good.

really good game to clinch on too. that was some blast by desmond, and theres something really awesome about storen being on the mound to clinch it

really hoping the nats lock down the #1 seed in the coming weeks. let st louis and la wear out their best pitchers in the first round. the nats look good but id really rather they not have to face both teams

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #291 on: September 17, 2014, 06:23:50 am »
magic number for #1 seed is 10 btw

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #292 on: September 17, 2014, 07:18:13 am »
Yeah Baby!

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #293 on: September 17, 2014, 09:23:42 am »
Man, that blast from Desmond went about a mile. What a game. So awesome to have Drew out there to close out the game. It would be great if we got 1 final sweep with our bench guys in there tonight. Atlanta fans barely booed at the end of the game. That place sucks. I wonder how sad that concert was after the game lol.
‼‼?‼‼

vansmack

« Reply #294 on: September 17, 2014, 12:38:31 pm »
let st louis and la wear out their best pitchers in the first round. the nats look good but id really rather they not have to face both teams

This is hugely important - especially to avoid the Dodgers in a 5 game series (which I think the Nats will, but you never konw).  Having to face Kershaw twice in a 5 game series seems slightly unfair...
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #295 on: September 17, 2014, 12:51:31 pm »
Impressive.

Most wins by an NL team, past three seasons
Nationals 271
Cardinals 268
Braves 265
Dodgers 264

I would have thought the Giants would be at or near the top of this list.
27>34

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #296 on: September 17, 2014, 01:14:23 pm »
let st louis and la wear out their best pitchers in the first round. the nats look good but id really rather they not have to face both teams

This is hugely important - especially to avoid the Dodgers in a 5 game series (which I think the Nats will, but you never konw).  Having to face Kershaw twice in a 5 game series seems slightly unfair...
true, but his short rest start in last years playoffs went terribly iirc.

even with kershaw, im hoping for a nats/dodgers nlcs. the nats looked comfortable against la this year and i think the cardinals are still a big time mental obstacle id rather not see the nats have to face.

though i dont think san fran or pittsburgh would necessarily be a cakewalk in the nlds, so i dont want to get too far ahead of things here

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #297 on: September 17, 2014, 02:20:22 pm »
I think all the teams in the NL who are headed to the playoffs would make for very solid/stressful series. Nats are playing with so much confidence right now. Will be interesting to see once the picture clears up over the next week!
‼‼?‼‼

vansmack

« Reply #298 on: September 17, 2014, 06:06:35 pm »
true, but his short rest start in last years playoffs went terribly iirc.

I was thinking Games 1 (Oct 3) & 5 (Oct 9) which would give him 5 days rest.   I think Game 4 is out of the question as it's 3 days rest (Oct 7).

All of this assumes they don't need to use him in the one game playoff.
27>34

hutch

« Reply #299 on: September 17, 2014, 06:14:23 pm »
Maybe I'm misremembering but the way I remember it the Nats hit Kershaw fairly good....oh wait, maybe that was the King