Author Topic: IT BEGINS! B&S Tickets  (Read 44105 times)

Re: IT BEGINS! B&S Tickets
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2006, 12:49:00 pm »
Hmmm, maybe NYC would be a better bet. We had been planning to take a day trip there anyway. At least it's nonsmoking in NYC, that might be something I can say to convince Celeste she needs to go...

My wife asked me last night, "Now are Belle and Sebastian just two people, or are they a whole group?" and also made the comment that their music is so quiet that it might not translate into a good live club show.

Anybody that has seen them have a comment on the latter statement?

Originally posted by nkotBaba:
  If I remember correctly, it's standing for the most part, but they do have a balcony with a bar that might have high-top tables.  The place is strange, though; they rope off the drinking section from the rest of the club.  That means if you're not planning on drinking, you might be stuck with all of the kiddies.

Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes, Japanese Golfer:
  I was at the dentist and missed the whole thing.

Is the Electric Factory a seated venue or standing only? And does Philly have a no smoking law?
[/b]

nkotb

« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2006, 12:53:00 pm »
Personally, I wound up liking them a lot more once I saw them live.  They're definitely a little more rockin' on stage, but not to the point where songs are drastically different.  At their last 9:30 show, they definitely stuck to their poppier songs as well, so the show was a great time.  They're fairly funny between songs, too, which is a plus. That was one of my favorite shows of that year (2004?).  Just don't expect a high "sexy" quotient.

Hmmm, maybe NYC would be a better bet. We had been planning to take a day trip there anyway. At least it's nonsmoking in NYC, that might be something I can say to convince Celeste she needs to go...

My wife asked me last night, "Now are Belle and Sebastian just two people, or are they a whole group?" and also made the comment that their music is so quiet that it might not translate into a good live club show.

Deathprod

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2006, 12:53:00 pm »

They've been brilliant (even soundwise) at both 9:30 and Black Cat

If I remember correctly, it's standing for the most part, but they do have a balcony with a bar that might have high-top tables.  The place is strange, though; they rope off the drinking section from the rest of the club.  That means if you're not planning on drinking, you might be stuck with all of the kiddies.

Is the Electric Factory a seated venue or standing only? And does Philly have a no smoking law?
[/b]
[/b]

katyd123

« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2006, 12:53:00 pm »
what's messed up is that the B&S concert is still not even listed on the 9:30 website!  I mean, good thing i get the 9:30 emails but what about those poor saps that had no idea it was going to happen?

pj

« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2006, 12:56:00 pm »
I got one for Monday, but the original plan had been for a bunch of us to go on Sunday. I don't think any of us realized it would sell out so quickly. Sucks they all won't be joining me and my other friend who refused to say die and each got our ticket.

Chip Chanko

« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2006, 12:58:00 pm »
The last two albums are much more rocking...so i assume that translates to a fun show.

[/b]
[/b]

bearman🐻

« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2006, 12:59:00 pm »
I found out about the shows through the Belle and Sebastian mailing list, got the links to tickets through their e-mail, etc. I would have been frustrated because I was expecting to see a link on the 9:30 site, but instead you had to go through tickets.com instead of linking from an announcement on the main page. Plus, it pays to look here. I think I was the one who answered the question that general sale was today, 10am. It really wasn't posted anywhere else that it wasn't a presale.

katyd123

« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2006, 01:03:00 pm »
yeah..i saw it on B&S's website and then got an email but yeah..it wasn't a presale with a password like usual...should be a good show...for me and the one friend i bought a ticket for!  saw them alone last time they played 9:30 and it rocked...in that chill B&S way.

sonickteam2

« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2006, 01:04:00 pm »

[/b]
also, you cannot smoke except for the upstairs area, which is the drinking area.  

so downstairs = no drinking, no smoking

upstairs = drinking AND smoking.  

also, they have TVs and screens for the upstairs ppl to see the show.

vansmack

« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2006, 01:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  If no legs get broken, this whole thing will be a letdown.
you be betty has not posted yet so there's still a chance.
27>34

pip

« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2006, 02:52:00 pm »
Is it just me or does it seem like to anyone else that tickets.com has improved their site? I was fully prepared to spend an hour in their "virtual waiting room" bullshit, but as it turned out, the tickets came up right away and I was done with the whole process in less than two minutes.

thegazelle

« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2006, 02:58:00 pm »
To clarify Electric Factory a bit, upstairs is 21 and over only and downstairs is all ages. But you can't get a drink upstairs and then go downstairs to watch the show. If you go upstairs to drink, you have to stay up with your drink. They also sell beers in really large cups (at least 20 oz. I believe). The upstairs gets really packed sometimes and it's impossible to move and now they have little lounges with seats up there (not sure if they're for regular peeps or if you have to be special). Good place for the most part, but I think the talking gets worse there than at 9:30 club.

Oh, and if you're into a bit of the sweet leaf or other extracurricular treats, they do a VERY thorough job of checking guys and girls. I know for a fact that my naughty bits were touched before walking into a Trey Anastasio show. I wanted to be held afterwards. They'll tear into cigarette packs as well. Either way, people still do drugs in there, but the search is very hardcore (depending on the artist). Just a PSA if that's anybody's bag.

Originally posted by sonickteam, forum nice guy:

[/b]
also, you cannot smoke except for the upstairs area, which is the drinking area.  

so downstairs = no drinking, no smoking

upstairs = drinking AND smoking.  

also, they have TVs and screens for the upstairs ppl to see the show. [/b]

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2006, 03:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by thegazelle:
 I think the talking gets worse there than at 9:30 club.
you mean DC isn't a uniquely horrible place to attend a concert where everyone talks and noone dances?  i'm shocked
(o|o)

bearman🐻

« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2006, 04:20:00 pm »
Was anyone else at the Belle and Sebastian show at the Black Cat in 1998 when you could hear a pin drop while they were playing? That was one of those nights where the audience totally helped turn that show into something special. They went nuts in between songs, but while they were playing you didn't hear a THING excpet for the band. It was pretty cool...hopefully the 9:30 shows will be that enjoyable.

freddyadu

« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2006, 04:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaParanoia:

Originally posted by thegazelle:
 I think the talking gets worse there than at 9:30 club.
you mean DC isn't a uniquely horrible place to attend a concert where everyone talks and noone dances?  i'm shocked [/b]
How can you include both of those together?  Not dancing and enjoying the music shouldn't bother anyone else in a manner that incessant talking does.