Author Topic: hot girl with mohawk @ Social D  (Read 9022 times)

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
Re: hot girl with mohawk @ Social D
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2005, 11:37:00 pm »
Oh. I've paid very, very little attention to Sting in my lifetime and not even sure if I've seen Quadrophenia. If I did, it was so long ago that I've completely forgotten about it. But thanks.    ;)

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2005, 11:42:00 pm »
In "Quadrophenia," Sting (who at that time was little known) plays the leader of the mods, who is the hero to our young mod protagonist, Jimmy.  

Near the climax of the movie, as Sting seems ever more larger than life, Jimmy accidentally spots him at his day job, working at a hotel in Brighton as a bellboy, running at the heel of fat wealthy British tourists.  

Seeing him in this servile role, Jimmy's illusion of Sting is crushed, and with it the sense of community the Mod lifestyle has brought. He realizes that Mod (like Punk) is no substitute for an adequate sense of self. Despondent, he runs off to Brighton's pebbled beaches, and eventually drives his scooter over a cliff.
_\|/_

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2005, 12:02:00 am »
Okay. Thinking on it a bit, I did see it years ago but, obviously, it didn't make much of an impact on me.

I see your message though and it's a good one. It's kind of like meeting some Rock stars and other celebrities in real life. It can often ruin your entire image of them when you realize that they are just people with a different image or lifestyle. Even worse when they turn out to be pricks.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2005, 09:25:00 am »
Originally posted by Doctor Doom:

Seeing him in this servile role, Jimmy's illusion of Sting is crushed, and with it the sense of community the Mod lifestyle has brought. He realizes that Mod (like Punk) is no substitute for an adequate sense of self. Despondent, he runs off to Brighton's pebbled beaches, and eventually drives his scooter over a cliff.
I can't remember though...was he on or off the scooter when it goes over???

• my blog
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2005, 09:33:00 am »
Originally posted by Chaz, Lover of all Forum Members:
I've seen the movie a bunch of times, and I've never been able to tell.  I think they leave it ambiguous on purpose.
_\|/_

Sir HC

« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2005, 10:36:00 am »
I thought you saw him up on the cliff afterwards looking down on his bike.

« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2005, 10:39:00 am »
Thanks, Doom, for more eloquently and maturely capturing and distilling the sentiment I was trying to express in my initial comment.

Punks are among the world's most image- and fashion-obsessed people, and the worst thing is, at least in the DC hardcore scene of 20 years ago where I got to know these folks, it was an incredibly hypocritical sort of image obsession because nobody wanted to admit that that's what they were doing.

It's no surprise, really... anyone who wants to define their entire being according to some pop-culture category is involved in image-sculpting.  It's understandable when you're a teenager steeped in insecurity, but hopefully most people have snapped out of the need to belong to such peer groups by their 20s.

• my blog
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2005, 12:36:00 pm »
Rhett, nice to know we don't always disagree.  :)

Sir HC, really?  I guess I need to rent it again.  Nowadays, through the magic of modern Digital Video Disc (DVD) technology, it may be possible to settle this question once and for all.
_\|/_

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2005, 02:22:00 pm »

Originally posted by Chaz, Lover of all Forum Members:
I've seen the movie a bunch of times, and I've never been able to tell.  I think they leave it ambiguous on purpose. [/b]
i thought it was ambiuous as well, but i do recall evidence of someone being on the cliff.  

Can't find the album booklet online at the moment, but if memory serves the final picture is just of the smashed scooter which implies that Jimmy is just letting go of the mod lifestyle.
T.Rex

Sir HC

« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2005, 02:39:00 pm »
  Rhett, nice to know we don't always disagree.   :)  

Sir HC, really?  I guess I need to rent it again.  Nowadays, through the magic of modern Digital Video Disc (DVD) technology, it may be possible to settle this question once and for all.
Pretty sure.  I remember too seeing someone on the top and there were no other people for miles when he rides in.  As Kosmo says, letting go of the lifestyle not the life.

• my blog
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2005, 02:45:00 pm »
Bloody shame about the scooter, really.
_\|/_

Sir HC

« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2005, 04:00:00 pm »
  Bloody shame about the scooter, really.
Maybe they did like "Goldfinger" and change the scooter before sending it over the cliff.  In "Goldfinger" they change the Lincoln right before it gets scrapped, putting in a 63 for the 64.

bearman🐻

« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2010, 10:29:13 am »
Ah...memories of the last time Social D played the Club. Got my tickets for this show and Ram's Head. Anyone else in?

azaghal1981

« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2010, 10:32:06 am »
I think 930 tickets are on sale now too, aren't they?

Link is buried somewhere in the JA thread.
احمد

nkotb

« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2010, 10:38:39 am »
Yep...thanks for reminding me, bearman.  Just scrolled back through to pick one up.

I think 930 tickets are on sale now too, aren't they?

Link is buried somewhere in the JA thread.