Author Topic: The Faint  (Read 6881 times)

kurosawa-b/w

The Faint
« on: February 18, 2003, 07:47:00 pm »
Another Saddle Creek band will be on the road this Spring... I've only heard the one single. Does anyone have the album?<P>Thurs, May 8  The Faint  9:30 Club

walkman

Re: The Faint
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2003, 10:19:00 pm »
I own their second album, Blank-Wave Arcade, and a burn of the latest disc, Danse Macabre.   I want to like them a lot.  But the reality is that their stuff gets a little boring over 10 tracks.  That being said, I hear they smack the hell out of those synths live.<P>In vagely related neo-80s news, apparently The Notwist are touring the US in April.  Anyone else excited?

wingelbert humptyback

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2003, 10:23:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kurosawa-b/w:<BR><B>Another Saddle Creek band will be on the road this Spring... I've only heard the one single. Does anyone have the album?<P>Thurs, May 8  The Faint  9:30 Club</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I've heard the entire album and it did nothing for me. The Faint are actually one of the few Saddle Creek bands I really just don't care for at all. I absolutely love synth pop and I'll admit they can write a decent hook, but everything about their music feels so shallow and superficial. Image well before content (e.g Fischerspooner).

wingelbert humptyback

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2003, 10:25:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by walkman:<BR><B>In vagely related neo-80s news, apparently The Notwist are touring the US in April.  Anyone else excited?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>like you wouldn't believe!

walkman

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2003, 10:31:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wingelbert humptyback:<BR><B> like you wouldn't believe!</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Ah, it does my heart good to find a fellow traveller of German weirdness.

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2003, 11:17:00 am »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by walkman:<BR>...That being said, I hear they smack the hell out of those synths live.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yeah I saw them play at the Black Cat and they did put a good live show on. One thing I really enjoyed was everything was live and no backing tracks.<P>MindCage<BR><A HREF="http://www.deep6.com" TARGET=_blank>Deep6 Productions[/url]<BR><A HREF="http://www.mindlessfaith.com" TARGET=_blank>Mindless Faith[/url] <BR>
3MTA3

paige

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2003, 12:19:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by walkman:<BR><B>  That being said, I hear they smack the hell out of those synths live.<BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>they were really great live, i thought. i saw them at GW when they opened up for no doubt. normally i'm not too into that kind of music, but it was a fun show. not sure if i could listen to their albums though....there are some bands that just sound better live

wingelbert humptyback

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2003, 12:56:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by walkman:<BR><B> <BR>Ah, it does my heart good to find a fellow traveller of German weirdness.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>have you seen any of their videos? i have the 'pick up the phone' single that includes the excellent claymation done for that same track. really cool stuff.<P>of course, i have to say I was also highly impressed by mk12's video for the faint's "agenda suicide" (especially considering it was the first video they had done). i might not dig their music, but they picked a damn good company to create their video.

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2003, 03:17:00 pm »
Thanks for the insight. Wingelbert and Walkman, you two seem to have similar tastes to mine, so I may hold off on getting the album until after further investigation. I seem to remember listening to a couple tracks online and feeling disappointed. I may still check out the live show if it is a quiet week.

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2003, 03:23:00 pm »
Haven't you all realized that I am Wingelbert?

wingelbert humptyback

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2003, 03:32:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rhett Miller:<BR><B>Haven't you all realized that I am Wingelbert?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hey, I resemble that remark.

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2003, 05:55:00 pm »
Les Savy Fav is also playing this show. I keep missing LSF shows, so I may go to this one after all. <p>[This message has been edited by kurosawa-b/w (edited 02-20-2003).]

walkman

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2003, 07:31:00 pm »
LSF is another band that I wish I liked more.  That being said, the live show is stupefyingly great (at least the one time I saw them).  But as far as really loud rock and roll goes, I recommend that you join me in going apeshit over McLusky.  A Welsh power-punk trio, with a Steve Albini-produced (think ass-punishing)  record, "McLusky Do Dallas."<P>Sample lyric: "My love is bigger than your love!/We take more drugs than a touring funk band! Sing it!" <P>Sample song title: "The World Loves Us (And Is Our Bitch).<P>Enough said.

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2003, 09:03:00 pm »
I love McLusky. And was actually listening to them all weekend long. Can't wait to hear their new album and see them again. <P>P.S. I love that song. It's probably my favorite on the album. "And we're all going straight to hell!"<p>[This message has been edited by kurosawa-b/w (edited 02-20-2003).]

megs

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2003, 09:19:00 pm »
heehee walkman...you shoulda been on the message boards in november!! we had a great time singing the praises of mclusky, and their fabulous gig at the velvet lounge (and a big ole cheers to all who were there, by the way!)...i'm always glad to find another mclusky fan.<BR>by the way, hannah, how do you find all these gig dates?! you have fantastic sources, darling...<BR>oh and my favorite mclusky song...probably either collagen rock or lightsabre cocksucking blues. o how i want them to come back soon!!