Author Topic: Coachella 2003  (Read 7028 times)

sonickteam2

Coachella 2003
« on: February 18, 2003, 11:30:00 pm »
so i will start YET ANOTHER Coachella 2003 thread. Since most other info is posted on the Lollapalooza thread, i will throw up the lineup here:<P>Beastie Boys<BR>Red Hot Chili Peppers <BR>NERD<BR>Ben Harper<BR>Jack Johnson<BR>Ladytron<BR>Sonic Youth<BR>The White Stripes<BR>Queens of the Stone Age<BR>The Donnas<BR>Primal Scream<BR>Kinky<BR>Mars Volta<BR>Peanut Butter Wolf<BR>Johnny Marr<BR>Badly Drawn Boy<BR>G Love and Special Sauce<BR>Rooney<BR>THE MUSIC aka the Stone Roses (jk)<BR>Hot Hot Heat<BR>Gomez<BR>Ben Folds<BR>The Libertines<BR>Soundtrack of Our Lives<BR>Idlewild<BR>Polyphonic Spree<BR>Mouse on Mars<BR>Joseph Arthur<BR>Von Bondies<BR>Particle<BR>Ben Kweller<BR>Whirlwind Heat<BR>DJ Irene<BR>Division Of Laure Lee<BR>The Mooney Suzuki<BR>Black Eyed Peas<BR>Tortoise<BR>Amon Tobin<BR>The Kinison<BR>Nightmares on Wax<BR>Hernan<BR>Underworld<BR>Groove Armada<BR>Dirty Vegas<BR>Thievery Corporation<BR>Cafe TAcuba<BR>Felix Da Housecat<BR>Master @ Work<BR>Deep Dish<BR>Roger Sanchez<BR>Richie Hawtin<BR>Darren Emerson<BR>Timoa Maas<BR>Talib Kweli<BR>Blue Man Group<BR>Fischerspooner<BR>Spymob<BR>DB<BR>Eisley<BR>22-20s<BR>Cantannos<BR>DFuse<P><BR>i hope i didnt miss any.<P>this should be a good show....i am excited to go back to cali.<P>

thirsty moore

Re: Coachella 2003
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2003, 11:50:00 pm »
The only Peanut Butter Wolf that I've heard is off of "My Vinyl Weighs A Ton".  Anyone else know about him?

Joymonster

• MySpace
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2003, 12:21:00 am »
PBW is probably the only West Coast Hip-Hop talent that I listen to. He has a goofy name, but his breaks are some of the best on the underground circuit. He came around twice last year with Madlib at the Ottobar. Good outings, but very, very short.

dtqjr

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2003, 02:27:00 am »
This is going to be a real dilemma for me this year.  I was hoping for Radiohead, which would have made my decision much easier on whether to attend or not.  Already have a room for the weekend reserved.  I attended the first one in 1999 and had a hell of a weekend.  By far the best organized and enjoyable festival event I have ever attended.<BR>Lots of great DJs and bands but is it worth the trip.  Decisions, decisions...

walkman

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2003, 02:43:00 am »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thirsty moore:<BR><B>The only Peanut Butter Wolf that I've heard is off of "My Vinyl Weighs A Ton".  Anyone else know about him?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I saw him DJ in San Francisco last year, and he was amazing.

sonickteam2

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2003, 08:37:00 am »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dtqjr:<BR><B><BR>Lots of great DJs and bands but is it worth the trip.  Decisions, decisions...</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> I think its worth the trip for sure. I mean, $200 for a plane $120 for the ticket and we got rooms for $60 a night and an $80 rental car. <BR> The thing i like is that i have only seen like 7 of these bands before , so i am excited to see some. and i figure i spend 1/2 of that money at HFS every year, so might as well have one summer concert thats good!<BR>

jadetree

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2003, 09:08:00 am »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sonickteam2:<BR><B>  I think its worth the trip for sure. I mean, $200 for a plane $120 for the ticket and we got rooms for $60 a night and an $80 rental car. <BR> The thing i like is that i have only seen like 7 of these bands before , so i am excited to see some. and i figure i spend 1/2 of that money at HFS every year, so might as well have one summer concert thats good!</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Did you realize that if you save all that money from HFS and Coachella you could see a lot of those bands and more at a great local venue and still have a lot of money left over.  You would also avoid a lot of the horrible bands on the lineup and not have to see any shows in a stadium.<P>

sonickteam2

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2003, 10:05:00 am »
well, actually it would take me like 20 trips to DC first off. and i would have to take off of work most of the time.<BR>  Personally, i like stadium shows, i can work my way close, and i can sit in the stands if i want to chill.  Also , you can meet a lot of interesting people at a large festival. Staying in California all weekend, out in the sun (hopefully), and not in some smoky club.  Coachella, for me, is a vacation, not just another night out with the same people, in the same club. It's all about the sense of adventure!!!

lily1

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2003, 10:47:00 am »
i'd be there in 2 seconds if i hadn't just ordered furniture. and i would have gone last year if i had'nt bought a computer. *must stop buying major purchases at least 4 months prior to festival.* oh wait, that would be christmas. erm, okay, so unless they make it during the summer or fall, i can't go.

lily1

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2003, 10:51:00 am »
i generally feel the same way, though i do like intimate settings, but with this set up, the last thing i really care about is in what type of venue the performance is. i'd be more concerned with the set times and not missing bands because they are going on at the same time as antoher band i want to see on another stage/tent/etc. though from what i've read, they are really trying to stagger the set times so this isn't a problem like it has been in the past. <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sonickteam2:<BR><B>  Personally, i like stadium shows, i can work my way close, and i can sit in the stands if i want to chill.  Also , you can meet a lot of interesting people at a large festival. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

sonickteam2

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2003, 11:48:00 am »
i have heard that that is the biggest Coachella complaint.  Missing bands, and too much happening at once.  I dont see how they can really fix that. With 4 stages, someones gonna miss something!<P>I am skipping HFS this year as well as my annual trip to Toronto for this show!<P>maybe next year it'll be in the summer!

Dandy01

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2003, 06:22:00 pm »
how far is Indio from LA?  or is there a more convenient airport closer to the location?

paige

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2003, 07:40:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sonickteam2:<BR><B><BR>  Personally, i like stadium shows, i can work my way close, and i can sit in the stands if i want to chill.  Also , you can meet a lot of interesting people at a large festival. Staying in California all weekend, out in the sun (hopefully), and not in some smoky club.  Coachella, for me, is a vacation, not just another night out with the same people, in the same club. It's all about the sense of adventure!!!</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>i dont like stadium shows because of the lack of intimacy and overall familiarity. i always tend to meet new people at shows, regardless if its a house show with 40 kids or a soldout show at 930 or something. i also hate stadiums because of all the annoying gross people there (read: HFStival). ugh. they're in the way and they are so annoying!<BR>

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2003, 08:44:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sonickteam2:<BR><B>well, actually it would take me like 20 trips to DC first off. and i would have to take off of work most of the time.<BR>  Personally, i like stadium shows, i can work my way close, and i can sit in the stands if i want to chill.  Also , you can meet a lot of interesting people at a large festival. Staying in California all weekend, out in the sun (hopefully), and not in some smoky club.  Coachella, for me, is a vacation, not just another night out with the same people, in the same club. It's all about the sense of adventure!!!</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>>> You do realize that Coachella is NOT in a stadium!There is NO seating! It is all grassey fields and it's hot as hell! After saying that I would have to say it's the best thing you'll probably see for a while. Have fun.

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2003, 01:11:00 pm »
Blur has been added to the line-up. <P>Why can't we have a festival on the East Coast like this?!