Author Topic: Sex Pistols Query  (Read 6828 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Sex Pistols Query
« on: August 08, 2003, 09:58:00 pm »
Why no warmup acts for the Sex Pistols in DC? The rest of the dates have Dropkick Murphys and Rev Horton Heat.  Not like it's a big deal, I'm just being curious.  I know curiousity killed the cat...
T.Rex

andyrichter

Re: Sex Pistols Query
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2003, 11:55:00 pm »
dunno.  another good question is why hasn't this show sold out yet?  i would've thought it had sold out a long time ago.

mankie

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2003, 09:30:00 am »
Maybe partly because they're doing no promotion in DC. When I went up to Philly last Sunday for the Man Utd game I saw a massive billboard promoting the Pistols show up there, I haven't seen anything in this area.

My guess is a lot of the original Pistols fans are about my age (43) and most of them have somewhat lost interest in the music scene so don't check out to see who's coming on a regular basis...and therefore have no idea they're coming to town. Just a thought.

bungle bud

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2003, 10:17:00 am »
its not sold out cos the pistols are old and shite.

mankie

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2003, 10:48:00 am »
Originally posted by bungle bud:
So is Wilco, Rolling Stones, James Brown etc etc. and they seem to do okay.

andyrichter

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2003, 01:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by bungle bud:
old, shite and also people realize paying $40+ to see lydon screaming about anarchy in the uk seems a bit ridiculous and outdated now.

Jaguär

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2003, 02:41:00 pm »
I'd like to know how long their set is. Can't imagine it being much longer than your average set considering they don't have much of a back catelogue and all of their songs are typically Punk short. And not having an opening band only makes it that much tougher for a lot of people to decide to plob down a half a Cleveland (w/ service fees) for a 30-45 minute show, especially in this rotten economy. I can understand the asking price for a band with their fame but once you get through all the left-over hype, you really need to include a lot of half way decent filler. You know, like getting an old, emaciated turkey and stuffing it with some good chestnut dressing on Thanksgiving so your guests feel satified and don't go away hungry. Seems to me that there are lots of bands who would open for drinks on the house just for the glory of opening for The Sex Pistols.

Thinking of the local Punk scene, Fugazi would be a great opener. Not my kind of music (I'm not into the whole Discord sound in the least!) but I know if you could get Ian and the boys to get together just for that show, a lot of people would come just for them. I know, just more Punk dreams.

Captain Jack

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2003, 08:58:00 pm »
Fugazi would never play a $40 show, except for MACROCK which may not even cost that much but it's more of an event than most shows.

sonickteam2

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2003, 10:22:00 am »
It seems to me , with all of the smart people on here, able to see the evils and wrong doings in the world, that we wouldve all realized that this is just a publicity/marketing thing.  I mean really...punk is/was about something "now" something that is relevant to life, now. No love songs that about people who are made up in someones head, or guy speaking Icelandic.  
   Anyway, Punk is not old "semi" original members of a 70s UK punk band whos not MAD or PUNK anymore and neither are their fans.

boooorring. but if we all pay the $40 and go to the show, maybe some other bands that are better off remembered young and punk, not old and in need of a gig, will come back...you know, like Jane's Addiction maybe!

MaLo

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2003, 10:54:00 am »
Originally posted by Captain Jack:
  Fugazi would never play a $40 show, except for MACROCK which may not even cost that much but it's more of an event than most shows.
$40  is if you purchase the pass to get into all the shows..the individual shows are usually just a couple bucks...at least they were when i was at JMU..they might've changed the rules or something

MaLo

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2003, 10:56:00 am »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:

boooorring. but if we all pay the $40 and go to the show, maybe some other bands that are better off remembered young and punk, not old and in need of a gig, will come back...you know, like Jane's Addiction maybe!
i feel like i am the only person on earth that doesn't like Jane's Addiction...i really can't stand them..and i've tried to listen to them too

jadetree

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2003, 11:01:00 am »
Originally posted by MaLo:
  i feel like i am the only person on earth that doesn't like Jane's Addiction...i really can't stand them..and i've tried to listen to them too
I don't like them either

Sir HC

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2003, 11:20:00 am »
I would personally pay big bucks for a PIL reunion with John, Jah, and Keith.  That would be a great show, and since that music is not so "punk engergy" the old farts could probably pull it off well.

Mobius

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2003, 11:36:00 am »
Why can't a band play with punk energy just because they're pushing 50?  The context is different from 1977, and the drugs may be different, but the personalities and chemistry aren't necessarily different just because they're older.

mankie

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2003, 12:12:00 pm »
Originally posted by Mobius:
  Why can't a band play with punk energy just because they're pushing 50?  The context is different from 1977, and the drugs may be different, but the personalities and chemistry aren't necessarily different just because they're older.
Because they'll look stupid doing it...just like I would if I was in the mosh pit pogo'ing at 43 years old. On the other hand, if they don't care about looking stupid...like the Rolling Stones obviously don't...then why not?