Author Topic: BRMC Roll Call  (Read 4906 times)

Arthwys

BRMC Roll Call
« on: June 01, 2007, 11:50:00 am »
I am psyched for this show as I've been trying to see them since the first album and no such luck.  Worst was when the damn hurricane isabelle hit and I opted out of not metro-ing in, only to find out the next day they did an amazing 3 hour set for the 3 score people that did show up.  Anyone know anything about the opener?
Emrys

Relaxer

Re: BRMC Roll Call
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 12:02:00 pm »
Originally posted by Arthwys:
  I am psyched for this show as I've been trying to see them since the first album and no such luck.  Worst was when the damn hurricane isabelle hit and I opted out of not metro-ing in, only to find out the next day they did an amazing 3 hour set for the 3 score people that did show up.  Anyone know anything about the opener?
I saw that hurricane show (with a great opening set by the Warlocks, I think) and it was fantastic, but I don't remember it being overly long and certainly not 3 hours.
oword

bnyced0

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 12:09:00 pm »
Originally posted by Arthwys:
Not sure where you got 3 hours from, it was definitely good though.  I remember going over to Cafe Saint Ex afterwards and trying to dodge tree limbs and other debris. The Cobbs are decent, don't know much about the others.

aniym

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 12:23:00 pm »
I'm in. Missed their 2005 show, but I didn't really like Howl anyway, so didn't bother going. Baby 81 however, was a very different story.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 12:38:00 pm »
im in! i saw them last night - and ill add my review that i posted elsewhere. no clue about any 3 hour set, but last night was 2 hours! and i have no voice thanks to it. oh apparently ive seen the other opener dead combo. a friend reminded me that they opened for the raveonettes, but since i have no memory of seeing them, ill assume it was mostly forgettable. and dont forget BRING YOUR EARPLUGS!

Well I have no voice anymore thanks to the lovely lads of BRMC.

Started out meeting some friends at a pub for some pints. Twas good, until I realized that we'd be missing the opener, whom I really wanted to see. Ah well. I hadn't eaten anything in awhile, so the buzz was fast approaching.

Anyway, caught the tail end of The Cobbs. I liked their stuff and they were sounding great live. No complaints. Much better than the songs I had heard online.

Around 9:10 or so, BRMC hits the stage. "Took out a Loan" is the first song. Guitars fill the room, with a big big sound. This is how I had wished the JAMC were. It was so f'ing loud with such energy. Robert and Peter are excellent on guitars and vocals. Each song would blend into the next with almost no breaks in between songs. Long drawn out spacey guitar jams were the absolute highlights of the show.

The set was near 2 hours long, with almost no breaks. One hell of an encore that included songs they had never before played live. With almost no talking between songs during their set, the encore had lots of chatter. Peter asked for requests which had 5 zillion songs being yelled out. They played Rifle along with a bunch of others.

The acoustic songs were nice and although Im not a fan of Howl, it was a great addition to their set.

New York proved to be a great audience. A sold-out show with fans who adore them. We were clearly there for the kind of show that they delivered.

Now the question is - can DC fans deliver and give them what they need. I'm afraid not, but some friends and i will be in the very front having a blast. so if youre in dc and coming to the show, dont be a stranger and come by and say hello.

and i recommend everyone to get out there if you can. as i said its not sold out, and they are expected on at 11:30.

cheers,
 -r
HeyLa

ggw

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 02:03:00 pm »
That Hurricane Isabel show was awesome.  It wasn't extraordinarily long, but they definitely rewarded the few dozen souls who braved the weather by playing a lot looser with the songs.

I'll be at the show tomorrow.

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 02:11:00 pm »
The Post said their new album is fairly lame. But fairly lame is the new fun...

ggw

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 02:14:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
Fairly lame is fairly accurate.  Some bright spots, but as a whole it's kind of a snooze.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 02:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

Fairly lame is fairly accurate.  Some bright spots, but as a whole it's kind of a snooze. [/b]
love the new album! and it sounds really great live. i think it gets better with each additional listen. i was walking down lex at lunch and saw a guy with a 'weapon of choice' shirt. brought a smile to my face.
HeyLa

aniym

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 04:11:00 pm »
Hmm, i checked out a couple of reviews online, and even though the shows are all supposed to be close to 2hrs, there's very little from the first album on the setlist, aside from the requisite 'Punk Song'. 'Rifles' gets included, but 'Love Burns','Red Eyes and Tears' and 'Spread Your Love' doesn't  make the cut.

OK, it's kind of an old album now, so on to 'Take Them On...'. I really do think it's a bit galling for them to not include 'Stop', 'US Government' or even 'We're all in Love' (which I hated, but still). Apparently, only In Like the Rose and a couple of other minor songs make it in.

The vast majority of the setlist appears to be from Baby 81 (they might just play the whole thing) and Howl. Which is disappointing. I like Baby 81, but overall it's pretty top-heavy, and was really looking forward to the live treatment of the their older stuff.

wxdude

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 04:16:00 pm »
I agree with that assessment, I think most of the songs sound very similar unlike Howl which incorporated a variety of styles. I'm probably in the minority, but I think Howl was their best work.

westendgirl

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 07:08:00 pm »
I'm in and looking forward to my first show! Wonder if the parking lot will fill up. I still haven't decided if I will show up for the openers.

manimtired

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2007, 07:52:00 pm »
i think Howl is wonderful...missing the show due to a birthday outing:(

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2007, 08:00:00 pm »
  The Post said their new album is fairly lame.
since when do you consult something as mainstream and sold-out as the Post for your musical opinions?!?  i thought you were all, like, indie... i would have guessed that the WaPo not liking it would amount to an endorsement in your books  :)
<sig>

cernoch79

• Cernoch Design
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2007, 09:07:00 pm »
I'll be there.

Posters will too.