Author Topic: Death Cab Roll Call?  (Read 2743 times)

Bombay Chutney

Death Cab Roll Call?
« on: October 23, 2004, 11:47:00 am »
It seems like this was a tougher ticket than expected.  Who's going?

J'Mal

Re: Death Cab Roll Call?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 12:41:00 pm »
GOING!

Darth Ed

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 01:32:00 pm »
I'll be outside the club, desperately asking everyone that passes by if they have an extra ticket and hoping that someone does.

Darth Ed

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 02:51:00 pm »
Well, thanks to honeysuckls it looks I will get a ticket! Of course, I can't be confident until I actually have the ticket in hand...

xcanuck

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2004, 02:57:00 pm »
Woo hoo! Just found out that we managed to get tickets to the show so we'll be there.

Anyone know anything about the openers (Pretty Girls Make Graves)?? Interesting name...fits in with the "death" theme - kinda like the Death and Dismemberment tour. That was a great double bill.

ratioci nation

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2004, 03:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by xcanuck:
  Anyone know anything about the openers (Pretty Girls Make Graves)?? Interesting name...fits in with the "death" theme - kinda like the Death and Dismemberment tour. That was a great double bill.
http://www.matadorrecords.com/pretty_girls_make_graves/music.html

Named for either the Smiths' song or a line from Kerouac's The Dharma Bums, Seattle, WA's Pretty Girls Make Graves began touring the country only months after the Murder City Devils, which Derek Fudesco also played bass in, called it quits. During the summer of 2001, Fudesco started writing songs with friends Andrea Zollo (who he played with in Death Wish Kids), ex-Bee Hive Vaults members Nathen Johnson and Nick DeWitt, plus Kill Sadie's Jason Clark. Their first release, a self-titled, four-song EP full of bursts of energy and emotion released on Dim Mak, created enough interest to land them a spot in the AP's "100 Bands You Need to Know in '02." In April 2002, Good Health came out on Lookout! Records. Miming the same energies as the EP, but in nine songs and 27 minutes, the full-length combined early Fugazi and a bit of Rocket From the Crypt, but made new. Add X-Ray Spex and the Avengers influences coupled by backup vocals and a hard-hitting rhythm section and it's easy to understand where they're coming from. Zollo resists critics' comparisons to Sleater-Kinney or Bikini Kill, because in fact, Pretty Girls Make Graves sound nothing like either group.
 -All Music

Joymonster

• MySpace
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2004, 03:12:00 pm »
I'm going for Pretty Girls Make Graves only. Don't really care much for Death Cab...

eltee

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2004, 03:38:00 pm »
I'm in.

k0d0s

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2004, 04:04:00 pm »
Are the doors really @9?

lily1

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2004, 04:05:00 pm »
i'd love 2 extra tickets if anyone has them...i'll be online for about another hour...

Bags

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2004, 07:27:00 pm »
I saw PGMG at the Black Cat about a year ago.  I liked them a lot; bought their album which is also good.  I missed out on getting tickets, which means it wasn't a huge priority for me, though.

lily1

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2004, 12:19:00 am »
so here's a good one....we went over the club tonight around 11.15 to see if we could score tickets outside. a guy walks out, maybe about 2 feet fron the door, stands on the landing, and calls his friend, while telling me that if his friend isn't coming, he'll sell us his ticket. the friend isn't coming so the guy pulls out his ticket, and then proceeds to tell us that he paid $75 for it and that he'll sell it for 1/2 price. in total earshot of the 930 staph, and on 930 property. i retort that i'll pay face value and that's it. he is adamant about me paying his asking price, turns around and walks back into the club. meanwhile, a patron pops her head out the door to ask what happened, and i tell her. from that, a 930 staph member strolls out, and tells me that he just talked to the guy and that he can guarantee that he will be trotting back out in 10 minutes to get rid of the ticket, and that he will be selling his extra ticket for face value only. how's that for excellent customer service from the 930 staph? what a total dumbass for 1)paying $75 for a ticket, 2) trying to sell it for nearly double the face value, and 3) trying to scalp it, right near the doorway, and in total earshot, of not one, but 3 930 staph members and finally 4), getting busted by the 930 staph.

what a total dumbass.

the actions of the 930 staph alone, made up for the fact that we were not able to get the number of tickets we needed for the show. so while i miss dcfc yet again, i metroed home happy knowing that this guy got his ticket scalping comeupppance.

thanks 930 staph member! you rock!

Darth Ed

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2004, 02:34:00 am »
Great show! This one definitely did not disappoint. Thanks again, honeysuckls! I rather liked PGMG as well. Would have liked a little air conditioning. I think they turned the AC on twice for about two minutes each during the whole DCFC set. The show was too damn crowded, but the music was so good that I didn't care much. Decent audience too, except for the obnoxious guys who came in late and squeezed in front of me twice.

Anyone know the set list? If you do, please post it. Thanks.

Driveway

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2004, 02:36:00 am »
eh the show was ok.  they need to play more songs from transatlanticism.  i think they only played 4...  i really like listening to death cab cds, but live they never really do it for me.  'sound of settling' sounded really rough.  what was the last song they played?  if only they were 'opening' for ben kweller again.

jkeisenh

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2004, 09:13:00 am »
Originally posted by DriveWay:
  eh the show was ok.  they need to play more songs from transatlanticism.  
ewewew.  couldn't disagree more.  i've seen 'em like 6 times before, and I liked the setlist this time the most-- it was a great mix of the best of their older stuff.  highlights for me included "styrofoam plates," which i had assumed they never play live because it's so, well...  i loved hearing "photobooth," "movie script ending," "i was a kaleidoscope," etc.  I would have liked to hear more from Something About Airplanes, but i'm pretty satisfied.

Let me say that PGMG were definitely a better stage presence than DCFC.
 Let me also say the crowd was boooo-ring.  As hard as I tried to dance and make it fun, the people around me made me want to scream.
 Let me also say that i now think my DCFC live needs have been fully met, and that i'm not sure i'll go see 'em again.