Author Topic: SNL  (Read 20966 times)

vansmack

SNL
« on: October 30, 2005, 11:59:00 pm »
This discussion will inevitably turn into how much SNL sucks, but I noticed something this weekend that I thought was forbidden.

The musical guest was in a skit.  Now, on the rare occasion that the musical guest is also the host, it's OK, but I can't remember another time when the muscial guest was also in a skit.

I'm pretty sure I've also read (maybe Jay Mohr's book about his stint on SNL?) that it's was a major no-no.  Any one else know?
27>34

beetsnotbeats

Re: SNL
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 12:16:00 am »
I've seen it happen several times. Even a couple of Rolling Stones appeared in a Billy Goat ("pepsi pepsi pepsi!") skit.

poorlulu

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 12:16:00 am »
yeah but how often is the musical guest knobbing the guest star?

i'm pretty sure they were a package deal.........

i'm also pretty sure i've seen snl when that's happened before though just can't think when..........helpful i am.........  ;)

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 12:18:00 am »
i'm an avid SNL watcher, and while extremely rare; it does happen on occasion.  

when Ashlee Simpson was first on the show (yes, the whole lipsynching ordeal.  meh heh heh...), she appeared in the opening monologue sketch.  

also, when Pink was on once she as well participated in a sketch or two...i remember reading an article somewhere that she talked about having relatives that worked as writers on the show or something like that.

so who knows.  i guess it all depends on what kinds of connections you have as a musical guest...

Chip Chanko

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 12:57:00 am »
Beck was in a sketch with kevin spacey a few years ago. It had something to do with pot. This was a weird episode...I think also the one where John Cleese and Michael Palin did a depressing rendition of the Dead Parrot sketch. Probably the worst Monty Python moment ever.

distance

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 01:14:00 am »
SP were in a skit in 98.

i don't think it's really _that_ unusual that recently that the musical guest will be in one... at least recently.

muschi

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 08:21:00 am »
ok is it ok at this point in the thread to start bitching about how snl sux and when it started to go downhill? or not quite yet?    :D

palahniukkubrick

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 08:43:00 am »
Originally posted by muschi:
  ok is it ok at this point in the thread to start bitching about how snl sux and when it started to go downhill? or not quite yet?     :D  
hold on just a little longer, man.

I'm pretty sure Paul McCartney appeared in a few sketches when he was a musical guest. I think Steven Tyler did too.

kcjones119

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 09:50:00 am »
Aerosmith was in Waynes World sketch

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2005, 10:04:00 am »
Michael Stipe was in a skit as a Christmas Fairy.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2005, 10:20:00 am »
Originally posted by distance:
  SP were in a skit in 98.

SP (1998): one song, one skit.
 Zwan: two songs.

GREAT move, SNL.   :roll:

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2005, 10:21:00 am »
Originally posted by Chip Chanko:
  I think also the one where John Cleese and Michael Palin did a depressing rendition of the Dead Parrot sketch. Probably the worst Monty Python moment ever.
That was an awful version.

pj

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2005, 10:37:00 am »
On the season opener, they did a little skit before Kanye West went on stage. He is walking from his dressing room to the stage when he runs into Mike Meyers (who was on tv with him during the "George Bush doesn't care about black people" comment.) Not sure if this exactly counts as a skit, but I have to say it was a pretty funny moment.

Mike Meyers to Kanye- "Hey, been to any good telethons lately?"

eros

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2005, 10:47:00 am »
Originally posted by pickup hiccup stickup:

Originally posted by muschi:
  ok is it ok at this point in the thread to start bitching about how snl sux and when it started to go downhill? or not quite yet?      :D  
hold on just a little longer, man.

I'm pretty sure Paul McCartney appeared in a few sketches when he was a musical guest.[/b]
Paul McCartney on the Chris Farley show...classic.

Remember when you were in the Beatles?  That was awesome!
ʎɐʍou

flawd101

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2005, 10:48:00 am »
Originally posted by kcjones119:
  Aerosmith was in Waynes World sketch
and a superstar skit.

but SNL sucks now...