Author Topic: The Olympic Thread  (Read 6427 times)

nkotb

Re: The Olympic Thread
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2004, 10:34:00 am »
And any German "women" team.  

Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  I think the Olympics would be better if if everyone played in the nude, as it was originally. Well, except for maybe the women weightlifters should remain clothed.

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2004, 10:37:00 am »
I dunno...woulda been nice to see Katherina Witt skate in the nude, back in the day.

Originally posted by nkotbie:
  And any German "women" team.  

I think the Olympics would be better if if everyone played in the nude, as it was originally. Well, except for maybe the women weightlifters should remain clothed.
[/b]

sonickteam2

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2004, 10:37:00 am »
Originally posted by chimbly sweep:
  personally, the corporate bullsh*t turns me off.  I mean, have y'all heard about how people carrying a Pepsi won't be allowed into events, since Coke paid so much for their sponsorship?  If you're wearing the wrong logo on your shirt you may be asked to wear it inside out, too.

That's what I call games about peace and love.

whatever.
man, i am glad i am not THAT bitter.  Sure, I hate the commercials and advertising and all the BS politics that go into it. But i try to look at the athletes and at least "pretend" that i am watching the dreams of many and all that happy stuff.

I can ignore the corporate part for two weeks.

lily1

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2004, 10:39:00 am »
no shit, kosmo. coud he have sounded anything more like a dumb american? embarrassing.

btw, brazil's outfits for the ceremonies were the best! the german outfits looked like this big wad of flesh walking down the track.

Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  after watching the opening ceremony's bob costas has become a PILS... Putz I'd Like to Slap

mankie

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2004, 10:45:00 am »
Okay, let me try to explain myself a little better.

The Olympics should be about the games first and foremost. Of course emphasis in this country should be on the Americans competing, but not the only focus.....I really don't give a rats arse if the American athlete competing in the polevault was potty trained at age 2, or prefers peanut butter and marmalade to peanut butter and jam. Just show the fucker jumping over the bar...as well as the other polevaulters jumping too. And if the doodle is eliminated during the heats, then continue showing the event through to the medal round for crying out loud.....this attitude by NBC has now bitten them in the arse. Case in point. The swimmer Phelps was all hyped up to win 8 golds and therefore beat Spitz record. He lost in his second race so that is now not possible. Because of the way they marketed this poor bloke he now looks like a total loser and nobody cares what the fuck he does from this point on.

How would the tour de Frog have been covered if NBC had done it? The last 5 minutes of the odd stage when Armstrong was in the lead?

That's my point...show all the games, even if America isn't the strongest in a particular event.

If Britain was like that sports would never be on the friggin telly over there.  :D  

oh, one more thing. The olympics should be for amature athletes only....no professional athletes should be allowed to compete.

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2004, 10:50:00 am »
um, I thought the focus of the Olympics has always been on the medals competition between countries. Of course it's a nations competing against nations thing, whereas the Tour de France is not. Ideally, the athlete is there to represent her/his country, not himself.

eltee

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2004, 10:52:00 am »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:

The Olympics are a pile of shit, and I'm not watching.

There's not even a single player from Greece on the Greek baseball team.

Isn't there an American guy coaching Russia or some other foreign basketball team?

Why do we have to have a goon like Alan Iverson representing us?
ok, how about everyone but Rhett voice thier thoughts.  Rhetts sound like some tobacco chewing, gun toting Dale Earnhardt fan standing in line at Wal-Mart somewhere. [/b]
My roommate announced yesterday that she had a revelation -- "So cool - The Olympics started in Greece and now they are being held [again] in Greece!?!"
 ah, epiphanies  :roll:

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2004, 10:57:00 am »
i agree totally with our english friend... i'm loathe to watch primetime olympics coverage because of the special interest stories on the atheletes, all of which have some perdictable element of personal tragedy.

at least they are providing coverage on other cable channels, so it was a fun to watch some womens field hockey (australia vs germany) and table tennis.  not that i would make a point of watching either exclusively, it gets a bit tedious after awhile.  

the womens beach volley ball, i'm sure is being tivoed in certain households   :D
T.Rex

mankie

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2004, 10:58:00 am »
Originally posted by Sugartastic Tee Silk:

[/b]
My roommate announced yesterday that she had a revelation -- "So cool - The Olympics started in Greece and now they are being held [again] in Greece!?!"
 ah, epiphanies   :roll:  [/QB]
I wonder if the stadiums were empty first time round?

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2004, 11:00:00 am »
I wonder if the winners of events get little boys as prizes, like during the first Olympics?

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2004, 11:00:00 am »
Yeah  some good points but do you think most americans are going to watch a ukranian woman and a polish woman battling for gold in the pole vault?  There's just no $$ in that for NBC.  Sad but true.  Sure the whole thing is a grab for cash for NBC but what do you suggest they do?  Broadcast the events that will earn them less money?

And i'd hardly say anyone has characterized phelps as a failure now that his bid for 8 is spoiled when his relay team lost.  And even though I've watched very little coverage thus far he hardly looks like a loser.

All in all though...yeah these are commercial times, and the Olympics are no different.  It's sad, but not at all surprising.  I still enjoy the competition in the sports that interest me...at least when I have a chance to tune in.

And I must admit I delight in the pummeling of the american basketball team.   :D

ratioci nation

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2004, 11:05:00 am »
Originally posted by chaz:
  And i'd hardly say anyone has characterized phelps as a failure now that his bid for 8 is spoiled when his relay team lost.  And even though I've watched very little coverage thus far he hardly looks like a loser.
interesting article
 http://sport.guardian.co.uk/olympics2004/swimmingandpool/story/0,14805,1283985,00.html

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2004, 11:06:00 am »
What makes Phelps a loser is that he referred to Jenna Bush as "hot".

mankie

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2004, 11:08:00 am »
Originally posted by chaz:
  Yeah  some good points but do you think most americans are going to watch a ukranian woman and a polish woman battling for gold in the pole vault?    :D  
I guess the European sports fan is different from their American counterpart then.....how many Europeans, other than the Russians of course, do you think watched the miracle on ice? Lots and lots and lots and lots....Do you think it was just Brazilians and Germans watching the world cup final? Or Portugese and Greeks watching the Euro 2004 final.

sonickteam2

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2004, 11:09:00 am »
I agree wholeheartedly that the NBC network coverage sucks a little.  The cable channels are at least showing "all" of certain events, even if its not Americans or American dominated.

I watched the Iraq football match and some good badminton matchups!

that one lady on CNBC freaks me out though, the anchorwoman who talks with her teeth together, very wierd.  but not as wierd as Jim Lampley.