Author Topic: The Olympic Thread  (Read 6429 times)

Re: The Olympic Thread
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2004, 11:09:00 am »
So are you a Coke drinker, or a Pepsi drinker?

Originally posted by chimbly sweep:
  personally, the corporate bullsh*t turns me off.  I mean, have y'all heard about how people carrying a Pepsi won't be allowed into events, since Coke paid so much for their sponsorship?  If you're wearing the wrong logo on your shirt you may be asked to wear it inside out, too.

That's what I call games about peace and love.

whatever.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2004, 11:12:00 am »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:

that one lady on CNBC freaks me out though, the anchorwoman who talks with her teeth together, very wierd.  but not as wierd as Jim Lampley.
the one that constants moves her head while talking? yeah she's a bit over the top...  wonder what station she does the weather at.
T.Rex

Guiny

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2004, 11:25:00 am »
Originally posted by Bollocks:
 [QB} oh, one more thing. The olympics should be for amature athletes only....no professional athletes should be allowed to compete. [/QB]
That is such crap, the Olympics are supposed to be the best from each country. Thats why we lose in baseball, cause we have 20 year olds competing against older players who have played together for a long time. Same with Basketball, a team that plays good together for a long time will beat a team of great players that hardly ever play together. (except the original dream team of course). If you really wanted to be fair, you should just say, anyone over 22 should not be in the Olympics.

ratioci nation

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2004, 11:39:00 am »
Originally posted by Rob_Gee:
  That is such crap, the Olympics are supposed to be the best from each country. Thats why we lose in baseball, cause we have 20 year olds competing against older players who have played together for a long time.
more likely in 2006 than 2005 there may be a world cup of baseball, and I don't think the US would be easy winners

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1658802

mankie

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2004, 11:39:00 am »
Originally posted by Rob_Gee:

[QB} oh, one more thing. The olympics should be for amature athletes only....no professional athletes should be allowed to compete. [/b]
That is such crap, the Olympics are supposed to be the best from each country. Thats why we lose in baseball, cause we have 20 year olds competing against older players who have played together for a long time. Same with Basketball, a team that plays good together for a long time will beat a team of great players that hardly ever play together. (except the original dream team of course). If you really wanted to be fair, you should just say, anyone over 22 should not be in the Olympics. [/QB]
Sounds like a weak excuse for the two events your country should dominate but totally choked at.

It's just my opinion that the Olympics should be for amatures only....defeats the purpose in my opinion having the pro's compete, but that's just me.

sonickteam2

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2004, 11:51:00 am »

It's just my opinion that the Olympics should be for amatures only....defeats the purpose in my opinion having the pro's compete, but that's just me.
arent there other athletes that compete professionally in other sports in other countries?
   i mean i know theres the NBA and NHL and stuff, but dont some countries pay thier national teams/athletes?

i say, use em, if they are the best

pepper*sans*salt

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2004, 11:53:00 am »
Forget patriotism. I root for the Chinese athletes. They win gold in almost every competion they are in. Talk about perfectionists.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2004, 11:55:00 am »
I think part of the problem is that the definition of a professional athelete is so vague.  If your government pays for your training and all your living expenses how is that so different than being paid to wear a certain kind of bathing suit?

Who knows....the only sport it really effects for the us is basketball and baseball and the u.s. dominance in both those sports is all but finished.  For all I know professional ping-pongers make millions in South Korea....

Random Citizen

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2004, 11:57:00 am »
  arent there other athletes that compete professionally in other sports in other countries?
Yep, there was a piece on NPR this morning noting that some NBA players are playing for their home countries in the Olympics.

sonickteam2

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2004, 12:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by chaz:
  pays for your training and all your living expenses

i guess college athletes are out too then!

sonickteam2

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2004, 12:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by Random Citizen:

Yep, there was a piece on NPR this morning noting that some NBA players are playing for their home countries in the Olympics. [/b]
i actually meant other sports. Canada has professional curlers and i think they are in the Olypmics.  i bet you didnt know that!

and i bet theres a lot more "professional" athletes than that!

chaz

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2004, 12:11:00 pm »

Originally posted by chaz:
  pays for your training and all your living expenses

i guess college athletes are out too then! [/b]
Excellent point!

Random Citizen

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2004, 12:14:00 pm »
  i bet you didnt know that!

There's a difference between knowing and caring.  ;)

sonickteam2

« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2004, 12:27:00 pm »
did anyone else notice that the Trampoline is an event now?

why? god why?

chaz

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2004, 12:37:00 pm »
Earlier this summer I heard all these radio ads campaigning to have poker added as an olympic sport.  I don't get it.