Author Topic: Those pesky Sony/BMG CDs  (Read 13884 times)

Venerable Bede

Re: Those pesky Sony/BMG CDs
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2005, 07:02:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  A suit was filed in Europe yesterday.
and one was filed in california earlier this week, and one is supposedly gonna be filed in new york state soon.
OU812

vansmack

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2005, 01:20:00 pm »
Always good to see in a Saturday paper....

Sony halts anti-piracy software
 Hackers can exploit secret copy-protect program in CDs

- Carrie Kirby, Chronicle Staff Writer
 Saturday, November 12, 2005

Sony BMG said it has temporarily stopped manufacturing music CDs containing a controversial copy-protection program after several Internet viruses took advantage of the software to attack computers.

"We are aware that a computer virus is circulating that may affect computers with XCP content protection software," the company said in a statement Friday, referring to the secret program Sony included in some of its music CDs that would download itself onto hard drives unbeknownst to many customers.

Aside from stopping the production of CDs with the problematic program, the company said it will "re-examine all aspects of our content protection initiative to be sure that it continues to meet our goals of security and ease of consumer use."

Sony has been criticized and sued by customers over the program, which was designed to slow music piracy by limiting the number of times a CD can be copied.

Many customers were angry that the program hides itself on computers where the CD is played and is difficult to remove without damaging the computer. Computer security experts warned that the technology the program uses to hide deep in the Windows operating system could open the door to dangerous Internet viruses.

As predicted, several viruses have begun piggybacking on the Sony program to attack computers, antivirus firms said Friday. Like most viruses infecting computers in the past year, the malicious programs are designed to take over computers and make them part of zombie networks, or botnets, that can be used to send spam or attack Web sites.

However, because the viruses will infect only computers whose owners happen to have bought and installed a Sony CD with this form of copy protection, they do not present a major security threat, anti-virus experts said.

"There's no reason to belive that this is going to be a huge problem," said David Cole, senior director of antivirus firm Symantec's Security Response team. He estimated that about 100 computers worldwide may have been infected with these viruses.

Without mentioning Sony by name, Homeland Security official Stewart Baker warned entertainment companies not to let their efforts to fight piracy endanger their customers.

"It's very important to remember that it's your intellectual property, it's not your computer," the Associated Press quoted Baker as saying at a piracy conference. "And in the pursuit of protection of intellectual property, it's important not to defeat or undermine the security measures that people need to adopt in these days."

Sony has not said how many CDs with the program have already been sold or remain on store shelves. A phone call to a Sony spokesman Friday went unanswered. San Francisco's Electronic Frontier Foundation has identified 19 affected CDs, from a variety of artists including Neil Diamond, Celine Dion, Switchfoot and others.

The company has made a patch available on its Web site that removes the virus risk associated with the program. Anti-virus companies said their software can detect and remove the risky part of the program.

"We're glad Sony has stopped manufacturing the CDs, but they aren't out of the woods yet," said Jason Schultz, staff attorney for the foundation, which helped call attention to the problem recently. He called on Sony to recall the CDs it has already shipped, help people fix problems the program has caused and to disclose how many CDs and what titles carry the program.

"Simply halting production is like Exxon saying they will no longer ship oil along the Alaskan coast, but refusing to clean up the spills (that) have occurred," Schultz wrote in an e-mail to The Chronicle.

The first virus seen Thursday was ineffective and may have been designed to call attention to the weakness of Sony's program, antivirus experts said. But subsequent viruses that appeared Thursday and Friday looked like run-of-the-mill attempts to take over computers in search of illicit profit.

Virus writers sometimes embed messages in the code of a malicious program. When viruses or other attacks are carried out to send a political message, it's known as hacktivism.

"Certainly, there's nothing in the code ... thanking or cursing Sony," Cole said. "This didn't smack of hacktivism in any way."

Anti-copying systems have become more common on compact discs as music companies try to stem flagging sales, blamed in part on piracy. But the effort has been a struggle, because some anti-copying technologies have been easy to thwart and others, like this one, have angered customers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Controversial music software
 What it's for: To prevent widespread CD copying from cutting into music sales.

The problems: The software can open up computers to virus risks or other problems, and attempting to remove it may damage the PC.

Which CDs? Sony BMG releases with the software include Trey Anastasio's "Shine," Celine Dion's "On ne change pas," Neil Diamond's "12 Songs" and Van Zant's "Get Right With the Man."

Web resources:

Sony answers questions about the software and offers a security patch: cp.sonybmg.com.

Mark's Systinternals Blog explains the problems with the software: www.sysinternals.com/blog.
27>34

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2005, 02:41:00 am »
You know, it really ought to be a crime to modify someone else's computer without their knowledge or consent, just like any other form of willfully damaging someone else's property is.

http://www.alex.to/doomlink
_\|/_

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2005, 10:05:00 am »
It looks like SunnComm the other company that Sony uses for copy protecting CDs is working on MAC software. It can be found if one pokes around on the CD.  because MACs don't have the autorun feature it hard to say how these extensions are going to get installed, but they are out there. need to look at the mac hd at home and see whats on there...

http://us.gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-entertainment/sony-mac-rootkit-136702.php
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2005, 10:48:00 am »
The XPC copy protection which is getting all the attention these days has a sibling produced as mentioned above by Sunncomm. It's the protection used on My Morning Jacket, BRMC, etc..

Well it too is Spyware and of concern.

http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/?p=925
T.Rex

beetsnotbeats

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2005, 06:00:00 pm »
Let's face it. Autorun should now be considered a security risk that exposes those who have it enabled to all manner of cyberbogyemen. Firewall and security programs should  by default shut off autorun. Autorun is dead; may it burn in digital hell.

vansmack

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2005, 07:20:00 pm »
Nice.  Thanks a lot Sony Music.

Sony's decision to include rootkit-like copy restrictions on some of its music CDs is prompting some companies to review whether they allow their staff to use personal CDs at work.

Last week, Trojan horses emerged that avoid detection by using the digital rights management, or DRM, software used by Sony BMG Music Entertainment on some of its audio CDs. This software uses the same techniques used by rootkit malicious software to hide itself from the operating system, which makes it particularly difficult to detect.

Andrew Yeomans, vice president of global information security at Dresdner Kleinwort Wasserstein, said that he is already assessing whether the Europe-based investment bank needs to tighten up its controls.

"I'm reviewing the autorun settings for music CDs, but not planning to ban their use," Yeomans said. "We certainly don't want arbitrary software to be installed."

Yeomans added that the bank cannot prevent all its employees from running executable programs from a CD or download. That's because some people have to be given administrator rights to use certain applications, which would allow them to override such restrictions.

Richard Starnes, president of the Information Systems Security Association, said that other companies should consider whether they need a policy on CD use.

"This is certainly something that would trigger a review of policies. I would advise companies to review the situation," Starnes said.

"If it's solely a Sony issue, it is easier for a company to make a decision that it will not allow particular Sony CDs. But if it becomes widespread, then it becomes difficult to decide what CDs are allowed or not allow," added Starnes, who was speaking before Sony announced it had stopped producing CDs containing the rootkit-like software, called XCP.

Other companies have confirmed that they are also watching the situation closely.

"Something that can get in and hide itself would have the security people screaming their heads off," said the capacity manager at one major financial firm, who asked to remain anonymous.

"Up until now, they thought that audio CDs are safe. I think that will change, and I wouldn't be surprised if every major bank changed their policy. The fact that this software can be used to hide other stuff means that the possibilities for getting at customer data are horrendous," he added.

Opposition to Sony's behavior has been fierce, with threats of boycotts and even legal action.

Ingrid Marson and Graeme Wearden of ZDNet UK reported from London.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5951177.html?tag=nl.e589
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2005, 07:43:00 pm »
i'm guessin that sony's stockholder meeting is going to be more entertaining then some of their cd releases...

the amount of money sony will lose over the fallout as result of trying to prevent piracy will be more than if they had just left well enough alone...
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2005, 09:25:00 am »
It gets better and better... The "uninstaller" for the XPC software which kicked off the current furvor can cause even more security problems when run.

wapo update
T.Rex

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2005, 09:54:00 am »
If I was one of the artist's with a release using this shit I'd be right pissed.  This is so far from over.  Burn sony burn.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2005, 10:02:00 am »
a swap is in the works... of course i want a free ps2 or psp to go along with my new cds.  and chaz is right the artists are the ones getting screwed bigtime over this...

a bigger fear is that sony will sell off the record companies to one of the other majors and create even less competition, meaning more DRMed crap, etc.  thankfully, the backcatalog stuff hasn't been touched by this stuff, but it's only a matter of time.

link
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2005, 11:10:00 am »
And if copy protecting CDs isn't enough, there was a recent Sony patent that would enable them to allow a game to only be played on the console it was first loaded into.  i.e. eliminating sharing renting or buying used games.  Speculation is that it's could show up in PS3s.  This sure could cause problems with all the stores selling used games, on one hand  they could refuse to carry new ps3 hw and games to make a stand or get screwed by the competition who don't give a rats ass about the used game market.

Would gamers take a stand against such protection or continue as if it's a nonissue..

Sony really is an aggrogent establishment..
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2005, 11:33:00 am »
Its still under investigation but there is evidence that Sony in their attempt to copy protect their own material, infringed on the license that LAME encoding DLL was released under by not properly giving credited for using it within the their program.  in the words of Dr. Doom "Fuckers!"
T.Rex

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2005, 11:39:00 am »
*insert random crybaby comment about Sony here*

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2005, 11:57:00 am »
ok more whining then... smackie has probably been following this one closer than i, but it would appear that the next generation of DVD technology that Sony is pushing for, Blu-ray, is even more anti-consumer than what we have now.

personally copy protection doesn't really effect me, it's not like i need to make archival copies of dvds, and with cd's it just limits where i can listen to them.  no file sharing or pirate internet radio stations here as i don't fancy getting caught and having to pay those fuckers seeing as i'm home owner with assets.

DRM technology is fine for online music services like Napster, Yahoo, etc, that allow you to preview music.  I don't buy into the consumer friendly line some tout about the iTunes Music Store. IMHO it's no bargin and come with a DRM anchor.  Maybe it's just me, but most of the CDs bought don't suffer from the only one track is good syndrome.  It's either the entire CD is great or crap, so I'm not out searching for that one elusive track.
T.Rex