Author Topic: Those pesky Sony/BMG CDs  (Read 13885 times)

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
Re: Those pesky Sony/BMG CDs
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2005, 12:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  personally copy protection doesn't really effect me,
And yet 2/3rds of the posts in this thread are from you...

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2005, 12:06:00 pm »
i'm pointing it out for those who may have let the Sony XPC software be installed on thier PCs and the subsequent problems it's causing people.

while copy protection dosen't effect me, it dosen't mean i like it.
T.Rex

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2005, 01:33:00 pm »
hey, i appreciate your outrage and keeping us up to date, kosmo ...

in cases like this, outrage from the public is NECESSARY, otherwise sony will just keep on keepin on ... i'm constantly surprised at how much weight sustained and organized public outcry has against corporation greed, negative letters and good boycotts really can help ... complete difference (in my mind) from protesting public policy issues
(o|o)

ggw

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2005, 01:46:00 pm »
Originally posted by [username edited by p.c. moderator]:
  *insert random second grade sex joke here*

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2005, 02:08:00 pm »
I've admittingly been spending to much time reading blogs and comments on this issue, most of which I agree with.  However, I always grin at those who claim that record companies are out dated in the internet age and will soon go out of business.  That the internet has levelled the playing field and any artist/band can get thier product out there and succeed.  To which I say yeah right....

Of the thousands of CD released each year, which ones have the biggest sales?  Those released by majors or thier imprints.  Record companies have the marketing muscle, promo departments, and distribution networks to get product into peoples hands.  If any artist wants to break out of the sub 100K sales they'll need to be with some sort of record company major or indie.  

Myspace is touted a method of bands not needing record labels to push their product.  So does having 10s of thousands fans signed up as a friend of the band translate into sales?  What about the other 10,000+ bands who have pages on myspace, what kind of sales are they going to get by going direct to the consumer.  Myspace just put out a cd with 17 of those 10,000 band of those. It still required to work with Interscope to get it to the marketplace.  So when do the other bands get their chance in the spotlight.

Right or wrong labels serve as filters and have the capability to sell what the people want or think they need.  

The part of the record industry which should change is the amount of control artists have over thier careers and product.  Artists should be treated as free agents from the get go, being able to have control of thier masters from the start, and moving from company to company.
T.Rex

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2005, 02:13:00 pm »
  The part of the record industry which should change is the amount of control artists have over thier careers and product.  Artists should be treated as free agents from the get go, being able to have control of thier masters from the start, and moving from company to company.
This is the most ridiculously "fight-the-power-i'm-out-of-touch-with-reality" thing I've ever read on this board. And Rhett posts here.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2005, 02:21:00 pm »
why? Established artists  take thier catalog to different labels, why shouldn't developing artist be granted the same priveldge.

More and more artists are licensing their masters to record companies it should become standard pratice.
T.Rex

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2005, 02:25:00 pm »
  why? Established artists  take thier catalog to different labels, why shouldn't developing artist be granted the same priveldge.
First, artists, when they start out, are "free agents" as you put it. They are not tied down to a record label until they choose to sign a contract. God forbid people honor their decisions. If a label is going to front for recording and touring advances and yadda yadda yadda, why should the artist be allowed to simply jump ship the second they garner any popularity?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2005, 02:32:00 pm »
Most recording contracts are loan agreements anyways for a set number of records.  My point is that artist should be given to the options to have shorter contracts, and if they meet the obligations of the contract be free to move.  Bands on smaller labels are bought out by bigger labels.  Bands also have the ability to produce thier records and shop them around to the label willing to license them at the most favorable terms.
T.Rex

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2005, 02:38:00 pm »
  My point is that artist should be given to the options to have shorter contracts, and if they meet the obligations of the contract be free to move.
Imagine I'm a hockey player for a second. I want to play for the Detroit Red Wings. The Red Wings will pay me $2 million/year for 5 years. This is unaccepatable, I want more per year, and think as I improve, I should be able to get even more, so I don't want a 5 year deal, I want two (so I can get a better deal 2 years from now). Additionally, the Red Wings wear Nike, and I want to wear CCM.

What do I do? Do I protest and demand the Red Wings offer me a different contract? Do I cite the inherent "unfairness" of what they're offering? No, I pass on playing for a top-rate organization and I go play for the Toronto fucking Maple Leafs. I think you see my point.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2005, 02:45:00 pm »
no because there is difference between signing a licensing agreement and signing a recording contract.
T.Rex

« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2005, 02:48:00 pm »
  there is difference between signing a licensing agreement and signing a recording contract.
Oh, really? Never mind then.

ggw

« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2005, 03:00:00 pm »
 Toronto fucking Maple Leafs.
Shouldn't it be the "Toronto fucking Maple Leaves"?

« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2005, 03:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Shouldn't it be the "Toronto fucking Maple Leaves"?
Everyone they had who was any good left, so yeah, "leaves."

vansmack

« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2005, 04:00:00 pm »
  Imagine I'm a hockey player for a second. I want to play for the Detroit Red Wings. The Red Wings will pay me $2 million/year for 5 years. This is unaccepatable, I want more per year, and think as I improve, I should be able to get even more, so I don't want a 5 year deal, I want two (so I can get a better deal 2 years from now). Additionally, the Red Wings wear Nike, and I want to wear CCM.
It's called "renegotiation" and it happens all the time - more so in professional sports than anywhere else probably.  And if arbitrators get involved, all bets are off.  Just watch the TO saga unfold and what the players union are going to do.  It will amaze you when the Eagles won't be allowed to keep TO on the bench despite continuing to pay him.
27>34