Author Topic: Those pesky Sony/BMG CDs  (Read 13883 times)

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
Re: Those pesky Sony/BMG CDs
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2005, 04:19:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  It's called "renegotiation" and it happens all the time - more so in professional sports than anywhere else probably.  
I get what you're saying, but it's not - it's negotiation, since there was no contract yet to renegotiate.

My point is, if a band wants a record label that can throw around the promotion $$/advances a major label can, then they have to agree with some possibly unsavory terms (long contracts, etc.). If the length of the contract and ownership of the back catalogue's masters is most important to a band, they might have to sign to an indie label. It's called you can't have your cake and eat it too.

vansmack

« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2005, 04:19:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  smackie has probably been following this one closer than i, but it would appear that the next generation of DVD technology that Sony is pushing for, Blu-ray, is even more anti-consumer than what we have now.
Both of the new standards are going to have DVD style encryption to stop piracy, and add a new technology called Advanced Access Content System (AACS).  The actual defense mechanism hasn't been decided yet, but one alternative being discussed is having your Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player sign on to the internet to detect the legitimacy of your disc, thus not allowing copies to play.

However, the Blu-Ray disc is also going to add another feature called ROM-Mark watermarking technology, but nobody's really sure what it's going to do.  The thought is that only original discs will have this watermark and if you put in a disc that doesn't have this watermark but the movie file looks for it, the disc won't play.  All speculation though.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2005, 04:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by [username edited by p.c. moderator]:
  I get what you're saying, but it's not - it's negotiation, since there was no contract yet to renegotiate.

You're missing the point, but I have to go to lunch and can't explain it fully.  

Think of it this way:  in sports, rookie contracts are structured for all rookies, and the adjustments are made through signing bonuses depending on where you were drafted.  If you succeed early in your career, your employer will renegoiate a longer term deal to keep you happy, and keep you on their team longer.  K-rod is signed for three more years at a reduced rate, but there is no way the Angels aren't going to renegotiate his deal to sign him to a longer deal and give him his just value.  And he'll likley stay with the Angels much longer.  But if you aren't making the grade, the rules force the Angels to release you, so guys like Turnbow and Jenks can get a second chance with another team. That's all Kosmo's saying (I think).
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2005, 04:29:00 pm »

It's called "renegotiation" and it happens all the time - more so in professional sports than anywhere else probably.  

My point is, if a band wants a record label that can throw around the promotion $$/advances a major label can, then they have to agree with some possibly unsavory terms (long contracts, etc.). If the length of the contract and ownership of the back catalogue's masters is most important to a band, they might have to sign to an indie label. It's called you can't have your cake and eat it too. [/b]
Why not... I'll bet more artists are gettin' wise to major label record company tactics.  You can bet that if a band like the Arcade Fire wanted to make the step up to a major and get a potential big boost in sales, they'll license future records for either a set period of time or copies with renewal or walk-away clauses built in.  The major still seeking to make money will have to emphasize more manufacturers and marketers to survive.  The playing field is leveling out, but major still hold whats required to sell big.  Artist need to be smarted about their product, and not get locked into situations where thier label own everything they record whether they choose to release it or not.
T.Rex

joeavrage

« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2005, 04:39:00 pm »
And this is why the major recording industry is just totally freaked out by what Arctic Monkeys has gone and done. Totally bypassed them and scored it big on the charts. Welcome to 2005 RIAA.

Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:

My point is, if a band wants a record label that can throw around the promotion $$/advances a major label can, then they have to agree with some possibly unsavory terms (long contracts, etc.). If the length of the contract and ownership of the back catalogue's masters is most important to a band, they might have to sign to an indie label. It's called you can't have your cake and eat it too. [/b]
Why not... I'll bet more artists are gettin' wise to major label record company tactics.  You can bet that if a band like the Arcade Fire wanted to make the step up to a major and get a potential big boost in sales, they'll license future records for either a set period of time or copies with renewal or walk-away clauses built in.  The major still seeking to make money will have to emphasize more manufacturers and marketers to survive.  The playing field is leveling out, but major still hold whats required to sell big.  Artist need to be smarted about their product, and not get locked into situations where thier label own everything they record whether they choose to release it or not. [/b]

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2005, 10:41:00 am »
Sony's Non-apology which downplays the numerous risks their software has caused, especially if one had run thier "un-installer" program.

Personally, I expect a message with happy ending when exchanging my CDs.

http://cp.sonybmg.com/xcp/

To Our Valued Customers:

You may be aware of the recent attention given to the First4Internet XCP content protection software included on some SONY BMG CDs. We have learned that the software includes a feature that may make a user's computer susceptible to a virus written specifically to target the software.

We share the concerns of consumers regarding discs with XCP software, and we are instituting a program that will allow consumers to exchange any CD with XCP software for the same CD without copy protection. We also have asked our retail partners to remove all unsold CDs with XCP software from their store shelves and inventory. We will make further details of this program available shortly.

We deeply regret any inconvenience this may cause our customers and we are committed to making this situation right. It is important to note that the issues regarding these discs exist only when they are played on computers, not on conventional, non-computer-based CD and/or DVD players.

Our new initiatives follow the measures we have already taken, including last week's voluntary suspension of the manufacture of CDs with the XCP software. In addition, to address security concerns, we provided to major software and anti-virus companies a software update, which also may be downloaded at http://cp.sonybmg.com/xcp/english/updates.html. We will shortly provide a simplified and secure procedure to uninstall the XCP software if it resides on your computer.

Ultimately, the experience of consumers is our primary concern, and our goal is to help bring our artists' music to as broad an audience as possible. Going forward, we will continue to identify new ways to meet demands for flexibility in how you and other consumers listen to music.
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2005, 10:43:00 am »
and it would appear Sony/BMG and EMI are still committed to including some kind of copy protection on all cds issued next year.
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2005, 01:11:00 pm »
I don't see a Artic Monkey's success story happening anytime soon in America, seeing as they themselves have signed to a major label in order reach these shores. A deal worth 725K pounds... The Bravery are  close but still required the support of a major label to reach a wider audience.  

Even in England after Artic Monkey were able to create the hype for themselves, they stilled signed with Domino who are at the moment a red hot independent label.  With artists like Franz Ferdinand on board.  UK radio is much more open to UK indle labels.  

I think it would be great for an independent artist to crack the big time sales wise in the US, just don't see it happening anytime soon.
T.Rex

vansmack

« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2005, 01:23:00 pm »
Nice little pigeon hole they've gotten themselves into.

They can't release an uninstall unless they're willing to forgo thier top artists being played on PCs, which most teens use to play their music.

But if they don't uninstall, they've left millions of computers vulnerable to a virus and they are liable.

I love it.

And who, of all people, comes to the consumers rescue?

On Saturday, a Microsoft engineering team indicated that it would be updating the company's security tools to detect and remove parts of the Sony BMG copy-protection software to help protect customers.

27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2005, 01:46:00 pm »
yes but which company invented the autorun feature which is what most of the copy protection programs take advantage of... seeing as most consumers don't even know how to turn it off, bypass it, or not run in admin mode.  just asking...    ;)

and why Internet Explorer required to be used to run the uninstaller? because an active-x component was written that was also lazily left behind.
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2005, 01:58:00 pm »
and if anything Apple and iTunes is coming to consumers side, by not supporting the Sony/BMG copy protection software and forcing them to provide instructions on how to get around it.
T.Rex

vansmack

« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2005, 02:11:00 pm »
I wasn't defending MS, I just thought it was odd that they jumped at the chance to remove the software considering the files Sony's software creates are WMA's using MS DRM.

And the only reason Apple didn't support it was because Sony opted to use WMA (Apple did submit a bid).  If Sony said AAC with iTunes DRM, you can bet Apple would have supported it.
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2005, 02:18:00 pm »
no your right it was odd for Micro$oft to come out so publicly and quickly in regard to the issue... but it is odd that Micro$oft didn't get on Sony's case earlier on this issue, seeing as it must have caused some user errors before being uprooted.
T.Rex

yinzer

« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2005, 02:58:00 pm »

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2005, 12:13:00 pm »
Sony has finally released the list of CD which have the XCP copy protection on them.  Is it complete?

ARTIST                   ALBUM
 A Static Lullaby -   Faso Latido
 Acceptance -           Phantoms
 Amerie   -                Touch
 Art Blakey   - Drum Suit
 The Bad Plus   - Suspicious Activity?
 Bette Midler    - Sings the Peggy Lee Songbook
 Billy Holiday   - The Great American Songbook
 Bob Brookmeyer   - Bob Brookmeyer & Friends
 Buddy Jewell   - Times Like These
 Burt Bacharach   - At This Time
 Celine Dion   - On Ne Change Pas