Author Topic: CMJ Music Fest  (Read 7406 times)

kurosawa-b/w

Re: CMJ Music Fest
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2003, 05:53:00 pm »
If you go for tickets as soon as they go on sale, I don't think you will have any trouble. Just don't wait too long. Seeing them at the Bowery Ballroom will be great! I still haven't decided if I'm going to CMJ...

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2003, 06:10:00 pm »
Just hope they don't go on sale during the three days I'm in a tent without a pc my my side.  :)

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2003, 08:39:00 pm »
I just looked at the  list of bands. Biffy Clyro and British Sea Power are on the list! Wouldn't it be excellent if Biffy Clyro opened for BSP on their tour? I might actually get to see the band all my Brit friends have been talking about.

And Rhett, even if tickets go on sale during those three days, I still think you will have a good chance at getting tickets.

Bags

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2003, 11:26:00 am »
I'd love for boardies to look at the list of bands and see if there are recommendations.  You know, outside of the biggies like Shins, Death Cab for Cutie, Ted Leo, My Morning Jacket, etc.

For instance, You Am I are a great band from Australia that have actually been around forever down there.  Obviously they're finally taking a real crack at the U.S. market.  I hope to catch them.

Also, where can you find out the actual schedule with venues?

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2003, 11:56:00 am »
Stars are a wimpy synth band from Montreal not unlike Postal Service. They sound pretty good.

The Autumn Defense is Wilco bassists John Stirrat's side project. Never heard their music though.

ggw

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2003, 12:14:00 pm »
Just off the top of my head, these are the bands that I would be interested in seing:

American Analog Set
 The Apes
 British Sea Power
 The Constantines
 Earlimart
 The Gossip
 Les Savy Fav
 The Long Winters
 Longwave
 Lucero
 The Mars Volta
 Nada Surf
 Radio 4
 The Rapture
 The Shins
 Singapore Sling
 South
 The Starlight Mints
 The Tyde

jadetree

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2003, 12:57:00 pm »
My list:

Adam Green
 American Analog Set
 The Apes
 The Baptist Generals
 British Sea Power
 Broken Social Scene
 The Constantines
 Death Cab For Cutie
 Dub Narcotic Sound System
 Earlimart
 Elefant
 Kinski
 Les Savy Fav
 The Long Winters
 Longwave
 Lucero
 Mates Of State
 Mink Lungs
 Moving Units
 My Morning Jacket
 Nada Surf
 Panthers
 Pleasure Forever
 Pretty Girls Make Graves
 The Shins
 The Starlight Mints
 The Thermals
 The Tyde
 Wheat

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2003, 01:19:00 pm »
You guys remind me of when I posted a message on the Robbie Fulks chatboard saying "Some of you alt-country listeners will like just about ANYTHING, as long as it's alt-country." and Robbie pm'ed me back in agreement to the effect of "Amen, brother."

Surely, at least half the bands that are playingthe CMJ are no better than average, and only a handful are excellent. It's the law of averages.

jadetree

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2003, 01:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  You guys remind me of when I posted a message on the Robbie Fulks chatboard saying "Some of you alt-country listeners will like just about ANYTHING, as long as it's alt-country." and Robbie pm'ed me back in agreement to the effect of "Amen, brother."

Surely, at least half the bands that are playingthe CMJ are no better than average, and only a handful are excellent. It's the law of averages.
A band does not have to be great for me to have interest in seeing them live.  I would not go to very many shows if that were the case.

Bags

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2003, 01:23:00 pm »
This was my list....

Bettie Serveert
 British Sea Power
 Cobra High
 Earlimart
 Elefant
 The Long Winters
 Longwave
 My Morning Jacket
 Pretty Girls Make Graves
 The Shins
 Shonen Knife
 The Starlight Mints
 Stellastarr*
 Superchunk
 The Tyde
 Vhs Or Beta
 You Am I

markie

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2003, 01:34:00 pm »
Originally posted by bags:
  This was my list....

Vhs Or Beta

they supported Cinerama last year. I really didnt like them at all. Kind of funky disco rock with no words..... Not really my kind of thing.

Adam Green on the other hand......

Bags

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2003, 01:37:00 pm »
Tell me about Adam Green (I think I thought VHS was someone else...sounds yucky to me).

markie

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2003, 01:41:00 pm »
  Tell me about Adam Green (I think I thought VHS was someone else...sounds yucky to me).
Adam Green was in the moldy peaches. He is an antifolk artist. He is Jewish New yorker with an acoustic guitar. His first album was hilarious and brilliant. His new album that just came out adds a string section and I cannot stop listening to it. It is my favourite album for a while. I have seen him live 3 times this year.......

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2003, 01:43:00 pm »
What is an antifolk artist?

Jewish New Yorker? There's two strikes against him right there.

Originally posted by Anton Newcombe:

Adam Green was in the moldy peaches. He is an antifolk artist. He is Jewish New yorker with an acoustic guitar. His first album was hilarious and brilliant. His new album that just came out adds a string section and I cannot stop listening to it. It is my favourite album for a while. I have seen him live 3 times this year....... [/b]

markie

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2003, 01:44:00 pm »