Author Topic: CMJ Music Fest  (Read 7405 times)

CMJ Music Fest
« on: August 18, 2003, 06:04:00 pm »
Anybody ever been? I'm not interested in being there for the whole thing, just wondering if they sell individual show tickets for the shows that are tied in with the festival.

Also, is it so huge that it would make a dent in the NYC hotel market, or is NYC so big that it wouldn't affect said market?

jadetree

Re: CMJ Music Fest
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2003, 06:32:00 pm »
Never been, but I know there were tickets available through the normal channels for some of the shows last year.

Random Citizen

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2003, 07:55:00 pm »
If I recall correctly, the CMJ Fest happens during a week with another major event, maybe NYC Fashion Week or something like that. But CMJ usually offers promo hotel rates to conference attendees.

There are individual tickets available to the public for the various shows, but they're first-come, first-served. So get there early because I'm sure they go fast if the club is small since conference badges get admitted first.

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2003, 08:45:00 am »
I was able to buy individual tickets in advance last year through both Ticketmaster and Ticketweb depending on the venue.

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2003, 09:50:00 am »
Thanks for the info, y'all. Specifically, I was referring to the Shins show at the Bowery Ballroom on October 24 (Friday). I'm hoping that there are advanced tickets for that one. We were planning on going to NYC around that time, and it would be great to see them there. If anyone hears about tickets for that show, please post it here. Thanks...

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2003, 02:24:00 pm »
FYI, Bowery Ballroom uses Ticketweb. I will let you know if I hear anything.

mjnova

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2003, 03:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  Thanks for the info, y'all. Specifically, I was referring to the Shins show at the Bowery Ballroom on October 24 (Friday). I'm hoping that there are advanced tickets for that one. We were planning on going to NYC around that time, and it would be great to see them there. If anyone hears about tickets for that show, please post it here. Thanks...
Not to sound mean, but you'd probably have about as good a chance travelling back in time and getting tickets for the Producers with Lane/Broderick.  

That said, I'm going to CMJ, with my radio station kindly covering the registration cost.  Should be a good time, presuming most of the shows aren't 21+.  But then again, given that it starts on a Wed, it's pretty obvious they don't really give a flying fuck about college students attending.

jadetree

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2003, 03:02:00 pm »
Originally posted by mjnova:
 Not to sound mean, but you'd probably have about as good a chance travelling back in time and getting tickets for the Producers with Lane/Broderick.  

why do you say that?  I looked at several shows last year, and there were tickets available.

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2003, 03:04:00 pm »
Apparently because lots of fags like to go to Nathan Lane plays.

Originally posted by Robert Pollard:

why do you say that?  . [/b]

mjnova

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2003, 03:07:00 pm »

why do you say that?  I looked at several shows last year, and there were tickets available. [/b]
Well yeah, but Shins aren't the nobodies that most bands playing are.  I'm 100% sure their show will sell out, and that it will sell out reeeeally fast.

mjnova

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2003, 03:09:00 pm »
  Apparently because lots of fags like to go to Nathan Lane plays.

why do you say that?  . [/b]
[/b]
Huh?  Either way, I wish you luck.

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2003, 03:11:00 pm »
I realize that. They are doing three sold out shows there in September. The point of my question was whether the general public were going to get an equal chance at the tickets, or were record company and radio morons going to get all the tickets.

It's funny that Mercer played a small place like Iota within the past year. Must be a lot of music and press goons talking them up of late.

why do you say that?  I looked at several shows last year, and there were tickets available. [/b]
Well yeah, but Shins aren't the nobodies that most bands playing are.  I'm 100% sure their show will sell out, and that it will sell out reeeeally fast. [/b]

mjnova

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2003, 03:19:00 pm »
  I realize that. They are doing three sold out shows there in September. The point of my question was whether the general public were going to get an equal chance at the tickets, or were record company and radio morons going to get all the tickets.

It's funny that Mercer played a small place like Iota within the past year. Must be a lot of music and press goons talking them up of late.

Industry goons will be on that like message board posters on an easy cliche.

chknfngrs

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2003, 03:20:00 pm »
you know what, Mercer's set was good, but I really enjoy Iron and Wine a lot more. Great album, That's who should be playing.

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2003, 03:24:00 pm »
I enjoyed them both, but thought Rosie Thomas was the best.

Originally posted by chknfngrs:
  you know what, Mercer's set was good, but I really enjoy Iron and Wine a lot more. Great album, That's who should be playing.