Author Topic: neko case and high dials  (Read 4709 times)

anarchist

neko case and high dials
« on: April 08, 2006, 06:26:00 pm »
the two are touring together.  dc is the only town where they are playing seperate venues.  is this a weird pairng for a tour?  how come hd are not playing with nc in dc?

eltee

Re: neko case and high dials
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 07:11:00 pm »
It is kind of a bugger...

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 07:25:00 pm »
Why fret? Martha Wainwright should be good.

britton

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 02:16:00 am »
just saw them tonight in philly.  fantastic show.  martha played a good set and was well received.  neko said she was sick but played for a good hour and a half with plenty of older tunes.  after reading the mojo article last year, i was searching for some crazy-ass control freak tendencies in neko, but she seemed cool.  except when she threatened to kill the sound man over the reverb.

redsock

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 01:00:00 pm »
And if you still want to see the High Dials, you should run over to DC9 and catch them after Neko, looks like you will have time, as they won't go on till close to 11:30.

Tom Servo

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 01:42:00 pm »
Originally posted by redsock:
  And if you still want to see the High Dials, you should run over to DC9 and catch them after Neko, looks like you will have time, as they won't go on till close to 11:30.
Hey Redsock, what's the sellout potential for the High Dials tonight?  Sunday night + other shows probably lowers the chance, but I don't want to assume and get shut out.

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 02:05:00 pm »
I have to ask. Why start a show at 11:30 on a Sunday night? Doesn't anybody have real jobs?

redsock

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 02:29:00 pm »
Originally posted by Tom Servo:

Hey Redsock, what's the sellout potential for the High Dials tonight?  Sunday night + other shows probably lowers the chance, but I don't want to assume and get shut out. [/b]
Wish I knew. The High Dials have always drawn well at other DC venues, but given it is a Sunday, and a pretty busy night for shows, I highly doubt it will sell out.

redsock

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 02:34:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakajima, Fired by Mascis:
  I have to ask. Why start a show at 11:30 on a Sunday night? Doesn't anybody have real jobs?
Is 11:30ish any different than 11? Cause that is when all the 3 band Black Cat shows go on. And most headlienrs at the cat play for more than an hour, where as DC9 bands are done in an hour. I imagine the High Dials might go over that though. But I'm also hoping for a late night Neko appearance.

I can see your point, and I have to be at work at 8:30 tomorrow. But I also live 10 minutes away. If people like that music I'm sure they won't see it as a big sacrifice.

evilsanta

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006, 05:58:00 pm »
well 11:30pm on a sunday means that it's impossible for anyone wanting to get to an from the show on metro and see much of the high dials set. finding parking in the area after 9pm will be tight due to a soldout 9:30 club show.. both reasons to consider when trying to attend this show... that and having to be a work at 7am.

evilsanta

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2006, 06:09:00 pm »
when do the positions go on... their website says 8:30 which i'm assuming actually means when doors open?

anarchist

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2006, 06:13:00 pm »
there are plenty of jobs out there.  how often can you see neko case at the 930 and then walk one block and see the high dials?  that in itself is worth quiting your current job and finding a new one.

evilsanta

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2006, 06:15:00 pm »
switching jobs over a rock show will never be an option for moi...

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2006, 06:28:00 pm »
  Is 11:30ish any different than 11? Cause that is when all the 3 band Black Cat shows go on. And most headlienrs at the cat play for more than an hour, where as DC9 bands are done in an hour.  
So they start later and play shorter sets?  That's not a very good argument.  And what are the odds they actually start on time anyway?

redsock

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2006, 06:52:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:

Is 11:30ish any different than 11? Cause that is when all the 3 band Black Cat shows go on. And most headlienrs at the cat play for more than an hour, where as DC9 bands are done in an hour.  
So they start later and play shorter sets?  That's not a very good argument.  And what are the odds they actually start on time anyway? [/b]
My point was, they end at about the same time the headlining band at the Black Cat would. So it doesn't save you any time. In all likleyhood the HGs will be starting before 11:30 anyway.

This show should be very much on time actually, assuming the High Dials get here from New York ok.

And the order of the the first two bands is up in the air a bit, but the first band should be on by 9pm, and the second by 10ish. Canadian Invasion is the other band involved.