Author Topic: New Fillmore in Silver Spring; New Birchmere in College  (Read 15074 times)

beetsnotbeats

Re: New Fillmore in Silver Spring; New Birchmere in College
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2007, 05:27:00 pm »
From what I've read so far, the CP Birchmere may work with UM's School of Music. How I'm not sure but I would guess jazz and world. The Birchmere might actually work in conjunction with UM's Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center with some CSPAC seasonal shows at the Birchmere. For that matter, the new venue would be on UM land that is leased to the developer and subleased to tenants, so who knows?

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2007, 06:12:00 pm »
Originally posted by Arthwys:
  I've always thought it interesting that we've got a non-American license plate on the dark car at bottom right.  Can't quite make out what it is.
So does the one in front - 2 bimmers so I'm guessing they're german...have you noticed the station wagon is a mirror image?

anarchist

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2007, 08:07:00 pm »
no wonder seth is pissed.  mo co is giving $4mil.  md is giving $4m.  LN only has to put up $2m.

beetsnotbeats

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2007, 08:44:00 pm »

bull930

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2007, 12:35:00 am »
more bands coming to DC!!!!!

kmb187

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2007, 02:26:00 am »
... Well that stood in stark contrast to the overwhelming 9:30, small local venue allegiance.

Anyhow, when and if--I guess "if" isn't really applicable anymore--these both open, it will be interesting to see how they compete. LiveNation is a big name, but I hope the artists who have played 9:30 in the past will recognize its history and reputation and choose to play there... although that whole idea may be rather optimistic.

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2007, 08:26:00 am »
Originally posted by bull930:
same bands coming

higher tickets after bidding wars

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2007, 09:18:00 am »
I thought the birchmere was geared towards an older crowd (the artists, prices, seating) so the College Park location surprises me. If College Park students would pay $100 to see Michael Bolton I'm glad I didn't go there for grad school.
xoxo

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2007, 12:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by anarchist:
  there were two fillmores.  the original location is the current one at geary + fillmore in sf.  moved in '68 to market and south van ness.    the other opened in nyc in '68.  pretty lame that cc/LN is renaming all their venues fillmores.   boycott cc,LN,nisson etc. as far as the birch, originally they were only bluegrass and country.  now they are all over the place.  they charge big bucks and get the suburban soccer mom/family crowd.  it will be intesting to see who shows up to see rollins.  the college park birch would also complete with 930 and fm for some acts.  if anything, prices might go up if everyone is competing.  then again if you look at nyc and all the venues they have, alot of the big ones like the fm/irving + webster are dark alot.
actually webster hall isn't dark all that often. irving plaza is a different story. webster hall also has a bunch of other dance nights at the club, so from a business perspective (and theyre part of the bowery clan) it seems theyre doing well. overall - it seems that the bowery presents locations almost always have bands at their venues. the difference is the super huge locations - but most of them have other things at their arenas/auditoriums.

but really - its comparing apples & oranges. NYC has the people to come out and go to the clubs (large & small) and has an abundance of bands (local and not) that come into town.

i cant imagine that opening a HoB or Fillmore in SS is a good thing. Bands rave about the 9:30 club that I have met and say its one of their favorite places to play. I sure hope it continues.
HeyLa

Bags

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2007, 12:53:00 pm »
Originally posted by kmb187:
 I hope the artists who have played 9:30 in the past will recognize its history and reputation and choose to play there... although that whole idea may be rather optimistic.
The artists' preference may not matter much if LN tells them that if they don't play the Fillmore in DC, then they don't play other LN venues in cities A, B, C and D (where there is no great LN alternative like the 9:30).

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2007, 01:05:00 pm »
Not many people would pay $100 to see Michael Bolton. According to the Post review, the Birchmere was half empty for his show.

Originally posted by 6949:
  I thought the birchmere was geared towards an older crowd (the artists, prices, seating) so the College Park location surprises me. If College Park students would pay $100 to see Michael Bolton I'm glad I didn't go there for grad school.

azaghal1981

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2007, 01:24:00 pm »
This is true. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think some bands sign deals with LN that in effect say that they are obligated by them to play their venues if applicable.

Originally posted by Bags:

Originally posted by kmb187:
 I hope the artists who have played 9:30 in the past will recognize its history and reputation and choose to play there... although that whole idea may be rather optimistic.
The artists' preference may not matter much if LN tells them that if they don't play the Fillmore in DC, then they don't play other LN venues in cities A, B, C and D (where there is no great LN alternative like the 9:30). [/b]
احمد

sonickteam2

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2007, 01:29:00 pm »
Originally posted by Seth Hurwitz:

same bands coming

higher tickets after bidding wars [/b]
its strange that sometimes competition is good for prices, in other scenarios it is bad.

of course, i guess seth isnt really the "consumer" here.

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2007, 01:32:00 pm »
I think it's more analogous to two firms competing to get a top notch worker to come work for them, as opposed to the consumer goods market.

Originally posted by le sonick:

Originally posted by Seth Hurwitz:

same bands coming

higher tickets after bidding wars [/b]
its strange that sometimes competition is good for prices, in other scenarios it is bad.

of course, i guess seth isnt really the "consumer" here. [/b]

Bartelby

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2007, 03:43:00 pm »
Two words describe what's wrong with this deal:  Live Nation.  Goggle 'em and weep.  Do the terms "monopolistic" and "anti-trust" ring a bell? Not good for fans, not good for musicians.  May the "God" of your choice bless Seth.