Author Topic: New Fillmore in Silver Spring; New Birchmere in College  (Read 15068 times)

leaf

Re: New Fillmore in Silver Spring; New Birchmere in College
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2007, 04:36:00 pm »
Somebody mentioned it already, but i'll second it.  Leggett went after the money and tripped over himself.  The Birchmere at least was local - which goes a long way with the self-consciously all-too concerned East Silver Spring Takoma Park crowd - and booked neo-folkies and an ocassional Dead rip-off band which is't exactly controversial.  

Wait until all the birkenstock-clad parents of 3-10 year olds (some of whom have juvenile records for doing bong rips at the Capital Centre 17 years ago) who are already afraid to go into silver spring after dark see the lists of bands that hit the filmores and HoB's in other cities.  

The NIMBYism hasn't even started.  I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2007, 05:01:00 pm »
Chris Crocker says: Leave 930 alone!!
‼‼?‼‼

anarchist

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2007, 10:35:00 pm »
do you eat in local restaurants or chessecake factory?  support local venues, boycott large monopolies.  live nation now controls the warner also.

azaghal1981

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2007, 10:55:00 pm »
Originally posted by anarchist:
  live nation now controls the warner also.
As well as the 6th&I Synagogue.
احمد

kmb187

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2007, 11:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
 The artists' preference may not matter much if LN tells them that if they don't play the Fillmore in DC, then they don't play other LN venues in cities A, B, C and D (where there is no great LN alternative like the 9:30).
Good point.

Unfortunately.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2007, 11:43:00 pm »
Originally posted by azaghal1981:

live nation now controls the warner also.
As well as the 6th&I Synagogue. [/b]
Doesn't GOD control the 6th&I Synagogue? I mean, really...

azaghal1981

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2007, 11:58:00 pm »
Depends on who you ask, I guess.

And if so, he royally fucked up by letting its concert promoting fall into the wrong hands.
احمد

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2007, 09:18:00 am »
  do you eat in local restaurants or chessecake factory?  support local venues, boycott large monopolies.  live nation now controls the warner also.
Yeah because the few of you who boycot starbucks and the cheesecake factory are really making a difference.

Most people will go where their favorite bands are playing.
xoxo

redsock

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2007, 10:39:00 am »
You know, I've had the opportunity to hear a lot from all sides of this equation, and I think everyone in this business is about making money, bottom line. The venues, the bands, the booking agents, the promoters, all of them. The music is somewhat secondary here. Can't blame them I guess, but keep that in mind when you bash the "fill in the blank" for ticket prices, monopolizing shows (as if 9:30 by default doesn't already have a monopoly on certain size shows in this city), etc.

In the end, we, the fans with $$, determine how a market deals with performance spaces. I'd love to live in a city like NY that can support so many venues and bring every band under the sun there. Except I hate NY for every other reason. But those venues don't open up cause someone says "let's give the fans more opportunity to see great music." They open cause they see a chance to make more $$. End of story. The same way 9:30 can charge $5 or more for a miller light, or the Synagogue can rent it's space for performance.

Speaking of which, anyone can put on a show at the Synagogue, if you've got an idea why don't you make something happen instead of complaining about the people who do put shows on there. It is amazing how much complaining goes on by lazy people. Don't like it, fucking do something about it, or at least try.

I love 9:30, I love the Cat, the Hotel, LiveNation, all of them have a place. But there are pieces of all of them that make me sick too, about the biz in general that makes me sick. But I'm not gonna trash any of them for trying to make money, cause that it is a given in this industry. If you have a problem with that you shouldn't go see live music.

« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2007, 10:45:00 am »
What if the cheesecake factory food and service is better than the food and service of the local restuarant?

Sage 703

« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2007, 10:53:00 am »
Originally posted by redsock:
  You know, I've had the opportunity to hear a lot from all sides of this equation, and I think everyone in this business is about making money, bottom line. The venues, the bands, the booking agents, the promoters, all of them. The music is somewhat secondary here. Can't blame them I guess, but keep that in mind when you bash the "fill in the blank" for ticket prices, monopolizing shows (as if 9:30 by default doesn't already have a monopoly on certain size shows in this city), etc.

In the end, we, the fans with $$, determine how a market deals with performance spaces. I'd love to live in a city like NY that can support so many venues and bring every band under the sun there. Except I hate NY for every other reason. But those venues don't open up cause someone says "let's give the fans more opportunity to see great music." They open cause they see a chance to make more $$. End of story. The same way 9:30 can charge $5 or more for a miller light, or the Synagogue can rent it's space for performance.

Speaking of which, anyone can put on a show at the Synagogue, if you've got an idea why don't you make something happen instead of complaining about the people who do put shows on there. It is amazing how much complaining goes on by lazy people. Don't like it, fucking do something about it, or at least try.

I love 9:30, I love the Cat, the Hotel, LiveNation, all of them have a place. But there are pieces of all of them that make me sick too, about the biz in general that makes me sick. But I'm not gonna trash any of them for trying to make money, cause that it is a given in this industry. If you have a problem with that you shouldn't go see live music.
Amen.

walkonby

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2007, 11:00:00 am »
boycott money effecting the simple minds of thought processes.

boycott 7-11 for being better than handy mart.

boycott 930 for getting bigger bands than black cat

boycott 14th street because it comes before 12th.

boycott asphalt because it has a monopoly on our roads.

and boycott people who use only the first letters of words instead of spelling out the entire fucking thing.

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2007, 03:13:00 pm »
my big gripe in all of this really is $8 million of taxpayers money being used to subsidize probably the last people that need it

having just sent my MD qtrly pymnt in, this particular sickens me that I am helping to pay for Live Nation to compete with me

other than that, there's my disgust with the arrogance of any public official that they can plow ahead with something because they know what's best for everybody

reminds of when they somehow renamed National Airport to Reagan

but, of course, why open this stuff up for public forum, when it might slow down what they're trying to get done quickly without those silly citizens slowing it down with their so called valued opinions & rights

seriously though...it might be a really cool space that we could do something exciting with

I wouldn't know...was never offered the opportunity

that's just way wrong

vansmack

« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2007, 07:34:00 pm »
Originally posted by Seth Hurwitz:
 $8 million of taxpayers money being used to subsidize probably the last people that need it
Bingo.  They turned a gross profit of $224 Million in the 2nd quarter alone - you'd think they could make a few adjustments in corporate overhead and find $8 Million of their own to make this work.

If Legget decides to move up the policital ladder, it will be interesting to see who stuffs his campaign war chests down the road....
27>34

Bartelby

« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2007, 09:56:00 pm »
This is a total sell-out.  Live Nation is also known as:  Clear Channel (radio play-time); Redlight Management (talent management); Live Nation - venue management; Music Today - merch fulfillment - t-shirts/cds shipping; digital music downloads; tour management.  This company is predatory; greedy, opportunistic and dangerous to artists and fans. The only thing that could ever make this acceptable to a politician or city planner is campaign contributions and bribes; there's no pay off music lovers or artists.  crickets....crickets....chirp. Wake the f*ck up.