Author Topic: OSCAR TALK or Why Mad Max Is The Best Movie of the Year, Sidehatch  (Read 34585 times)

vansmack

Re: OSCAR TALK or Why Mad Max Is The Best Movie of the Year, Sidehatch
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2016, 08:28:32 pm »
Fifty Shades should NOT be nominated for any awards.  ANY.  AWARD.

Best Car?   It might not win but it should at least be in the running....
27>34

Space Freely

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2016, 04:33:03 pm »
Well last weekend saw the NBA all star game played, with 23 out of 24 players being black guys. And Kendrick Lamar dominating the Grammys. Big weekend for black athletes and entertainers.

This weekend will be all about white (pseudo-)athletes and entertainers, as the Daytona 500 and the Oscars will be held. Any predictions?

Edit: Oh shit, I jumped the gun. Oscars are the following weekend.

hutch

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2016, 06:11:15 pm »
Well last weekend saw the NBA all star game played, with 23 out of 24 players being black guys. And Kendrick Lamar dominating the Grammys. Big weekend for black athletes and entertainers.

This weekend will be all about white (pseudo-)athletes and entertainers, as the Daytona 500 and the Oscars will be held. Any predictions?

Does anybody give a shit about NASCAR other than people in the south? I don't think so.. its such a horrible "sport"..turn the fuckin' steering wheel to the left, keep it there and go 500 laps??? Formula 1 is so much better.

NASCAR blows.

Space Freely

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2016, 06:37:58 pm »

Does anybody give a shit about NASCAR other than people in the south? I don't think so.. its such a horrible "sport"..turn the fuckin' steering wheel to the left, keep it there and go 500 laps??? Formula 1 is so much better.

NASCAR blows.

I know of at least one forum member who is a fan, and he lives in California, not the South.

Actually, off the top of my head, there are NASCAR races held in New Hampshire, New York, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Delaware and California. Pretty sure it went beyond being a regional "sport" years ago.

killsaly

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2016, 06:48:07 pm »
/

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2016, 10:20:40 pm »
Can we just jump to "car racing is for rednecks" and stop with the regional hatey hatiness?

Space Freely

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2016, 10:30:03 pm »
Can we just jump to "car racing is for rednecks" and stop with the regional hatey hatiness?

It is sometimes perceived that most NASCAR fans are rednecks because of the sport's Southern heritage; this stereotype is largely inaccurate. According to NASCAR, about 10% of NASCAR fans are African-American, which is a slightly smaller percentage of African-Americans than in the general population. This compares to the NFL, where African-American NFL fans represent about 11.7 percent of the total NFL base. The percentage of African-American NASCAR fans has grown by 86% since 1999. There have also been some attempts by NASCAR to bring in more African American fans into the seats, and drivers into the races. About 40% of fans are female and their numbers are rising. About 75% have attended college and more than 25% own their own homes. About 36% of NASCAR fans make more than $50,000 a year. Finally, NASCAR fans are evenly distributed across the country. For example, 20% of NASCAR fans live in the Northeast U.S.; this is in line with the general population--20% of the U.S. population lives in the Northeast. While the largest base of NASCAR fans live in the Southern U.S., only 38% of the NASCAR fans live in the South. Again, this is in line with the general population--35% of the population lives in the South.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=1006021605290

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2016, 10:36:49 pm »
None of those demographic categories are exclusive of rednecks. Interesting,  though.

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2016, 10:38:26 pm »
  more than 25% own their own homes.
Does a double wide count?

About 36% of NASCAR fans make more than $50,000 a year.
so 64% don't make much

#nascarfansareesaypickins

I can't wrap my head around the appeal of the sport
slack

hutch

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2016, 10:45:29 pm »
well its not just regional dislike .. the sport is so moronic.. they race around for hours and in the end one car wins by 1/20th of a second.. what is the frickin point??

nascar sort of started- from what i gather- informally.. as people drivin the hills of carolina delivering moonshine or something.. that has some allure... but driving around an oval track 500 times to end up with such a tiny difference..

Space Freely

« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2016, 10:56:27 pm »
  more than 25% own their own homes.
Does a double wide count?

About 36% of NASCAR fans make more than $50,000 a year.
so 64% don't make much

#nascarfansareesaypickins

I can't wrap my head around the appeal of the sport

According to the Census Bureau, 75.25% of the general working population made below 50K in 2010. So while 64% of NASCAR fans "don't make much" (your words),  75% of the general population "don't make much."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_income_in_the_United_States

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2016, 12:12:42 am »
75% of the general population "don't make much."
Sounds accurate to me, middle class is shrinking

but if you live in the Mid-Atlantic or North East and make less than 50k...you are probably poor or young (or old)

there are still parts of the us where one can live comfortably on that salary, but not around here
slack

hutch

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2016, 12:17:36 am »
75% of the general population "don't make much."
Sounds accurate to me, middle class is shrinking

but if you live in the Mid-Atlantic or North East and make less than 50k...you are probably poor or young (or old)

there are still parts of the us where one can live comfortably on that salary, but not around here

middle class is being crushed...

as far as DC we have had this conversation before but the issue is people make a lot of money around these parts- in the main- but the cost of living is so high..one may think they are well off here making 100,000 but it doesn't get you anywhere.....Chaz bought an estate in North Carolina for 1/2 of what he sold his house around here..acres and acres of Carolina's finest.. elmwood treest, badgers for walkie to talk to when he's drinking heavy...the works.. a place to keep the family horses....a hollywood bungaloo for his swedish aupair...

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2016, 10:04:35 am »
one may think they are well off here making 100,000 but it doesn't get you anywhere.....Chaz bought an estate in North Carolina for 1/2 of what he sold his house around here..acres and acres of Carolina's finest.. elmwood treest, badgers for walkie to talk to when he's drinking heavy...the works.. a place to keep the family horses....a hollywood bungaloo for his swedish aupair...
And how many square feet is your home, just for perspective?
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2016, 10:12:47 am »
one may think they are well off here making 100,000 but it doesn't get you anywhere.....Chaz bought an estate in North Carolina for 1/2 of what he sold his house around here..acres and acres of Carolina's finest.. elmwood treest, badgers for walkie to talk to when he's drinking heavy...the works.. a place to keep the family horses....a hollywood bungaloo for his swedish aupair...
And how many square feet is your home, just for perspective?

I thought you had the number???