Author Topic: Virgin Mobile Fest Baltimore 2009 date set?  (Read 181661 times)

azaghal1981

Re: Virgin Mobile Fest Baltimore 2009 date set?
« Reply #240 on: May 22, 2009, 02:00:43 pm »
I'm perfectly aware of why these "big headliners" are booked and know that all US festivals of this size do it. I just felt a need to rant angrily. That's all.

Carry on.
احمد

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #241 on: May 22, 2009, 03:31:31 pm »
If Seth can pull at least these guys I'll be more inclined to go to Merriweather:

YYYs, MSTRKRFT, Q-Tip, The Knux, Gogol, ARCTIC MONKEYS, Crystal Castles, The Cool Kids, MGMT, The Black Keys
Alot of those are already booked for Reading/Leeds/Carling that weekend.
Jeez. Of course you'd break that news to me.
‼‼?‼‼

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #242 on: May 22, 2009, 06:28:00 pm »

C'mon people, we all know the only way you can have festival like Virgin Fest is if you sell enough tickets to make something this large doable. And the only way you sell tickets is to have headliners that a lot of people like. MBV and Aphex Twin, while amazing to see, would not sell enough tickets on their own at a Festival this sized. Maybe at MPP, but not at Pimlico. So they have to be subsidized with bands like Blink-182, the Killers, Fall Out Boy etc. Look at it this way, without these "big headliners" there wouldn't be a festival.

Stop being a bunch of whiny bitches. We get what we get. None of the US Festivals of this size are all that great this year, including Lolla which i am going to. Be thankful we get anything. And if you don't like the line-up, don't go and shut the F up.

PLEASE SEND RESUME

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #243 on: May 22, 2009, 07:02:00 pm »
And if you don't like the line-up, don't go and shut the F up.
With you on the first half of that, but if we're not going to talk about live music and lineups on here, what exactly are we supposed to talk about?

Fooer

« Reply #244 on: May 23, 2009, 09:42:52 am »
I don't think there will be a Virgin Fest in the summer.  Plus Tool and Green Day I think would have been the headliners.  Instead Tool is playing Patriot Center at the end of July which is really weird for them to get that type of show.  If there is a Virgin Festival its going to be in September.  Recommend getting Pearl Jam since their going to be playing Wachovia Spectrum in September and maybe Metallica before they kick off their tour in Nashville.  Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band I doubt will play Virgin Festival.  However Bruce is looking into playing sheds and not stadiums at the end of August (Buffalo, NY) and in September and going back to arenas towards the end of September and after the Giants Stadium run.  They might get the same bands that are doing Austin Music City Limits Festival but I do not think they want Kings of Leon even though their the hottest band in the world right now.

Davyboy

« Reply #245 on: May 23, 2009, 11:06:54 am »
Weezer's site now has an update that says "Sun 8/30 Washington DC - TBA ***UPDATE: DC SHOW MAY NOT HAPPEN***  wtf?

Well, the openers for the recent Blink tour have (apparently) been confirmed here:

http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=1070232

for the TBA DC Date, it lists this:

Aug. 30: Washington, D.C. (Meriwether Festival Grounds) @ $ &

@ = Weezer
$ = Taking Back Sunday
& = Chester French

Aug 30th is a Sunday, hmmmm.

So should we go ahead and take this as a confirmation? The thing is, I can see Weezer playing, and I guess chester french too, but TBS? They just played last year. Doesn't make sense.

redsock

« Reply #246 on: May 23, 2009, 01:10:12 pm »
And if you don't like the line-up, don't go and shut the F up.
With you on the first half of that, but if we're not going to talk about live music and lineups on here, what exactly are we supposed to talk about?

I've got no problem discussing/flaming the line-up, but it is the constant negativity about this festival that is the problem. I'd like to hear this announced more than anyone, see here:http://www.bigyawn.net/?page_id=34. But just having anything at this point is a bonus, regardless of who is playing. We can assume it will not all be bands this board generally doesn't like. Weezer, being case in point. So let's just wait till the line-up is announced before talking about how much it sucks.

And yes Seth, my resume is on its way.

hutch

« Reply #247 on: May 23, 2009, 07:13:46 pm »
If you book AC DC they will come.

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #248 on: May 23, 2009, 07:33:31 pm »
I think people are forgetting that, if this thing is at Merriweather, as rumored, the headliners will be significantly smaller than past Vfest headliners.  A band that would easily sell out their own headlining show at Merriweather would probably not end up playing Vfest there.

sonickteam2

« Reply #249 on: May 26, 2009, 11:09:53 am »
But just having anything at this point is a bonus, regardless of who is playing.

not pertaining to the Vfest in particular, but...

i dont see how having a festival that you dont go to is better than not having one. seems like about the same.

also, i think if they werent having one, Seth would have told us by now. maybe i'm wrong. but there would be no reason to keep anything a secret if it wasnt going to happen. 

that said, it may not happen, but i believe as of now, they're still trying to make it work.

eros

« Reply #250 on: May 26, 2009, 11:13:23 am »
According to this, Sir Paul is (possibly) getting ready to announce some tour dates.  If it was good enough for Coachella...
ʎɐʍou

bkrome

« Reply #251 on: May 26, 2009, 12:26:00 pm »
Well the Killers were just announced for Merriweather on Monday August 31. 

One would think that if Weezer/Blink 182 were part of a festival that weekend the Killers would be on the bill as well instead of the next day. 

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #252 on: May 26, 2009, 01:03:27 pm »
We have to be getting to the point that putting on the festival doesn't even make sense anymore, don't we?

For most fans, things like this need to be planned months in advance, and there hasn't even been confirmation that Vfest is happening, or when/where it would happen.

It just seems like a potentially better decision to write off the festival, schedule the would-be festival bands for regular shows, and get to thinking about next year.

sonickteam2

« Reply #253 on: May 26, 2009, 01:18:50 pm »

One would think that if Weezer/Blink 182 were part of a festival that weekend the Killers would be on the bill as well instead of the next day. 

i dont see why that has anything to do with it, really.

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #254 on: May 26, 2009, 01:34:01 pm »

i dont see why that has anything to do with it, really.
Ditto. 

I really wish there would be some official statement made either way.  Right now, everyone on this board is trying to decipher all these "hints" and such, when I think its more probably than not that all these shows announced are just what they seem to be, regular concerts.