Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3243870 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #2670 on: June 03, 2013, 11:40:37 am »
I bet more people visit the Coors plant in Colorado than New Belgium, Oskar Blues, Great Divide, and Avery, all of which are in Colorado as well.

Does that make Coors the best brewery in Colorado?

You asked why would anyone want to fly to Burlington, VT. I answered because they make better beer in Vermont than Germany. Which is true imo and in the opinion of the vast majority of passionate American beer geeks (as opposed to the more casual beer drinker who probably hasn't heard of or tried Heady Topper, Hill Farmstead, or Lawson's).

Do more people fly to Vermont for the beer than Germany for the beer? Of course not.

One is a tiny, isolated state in a country full of great states to visit. Still people (way more than 10, and many are DRIVING, so they can take the beer back by the caseload) do go there specfically for the beer.

The other is a major country that once almost took over the world, but thankfully didn't.

If you really think there its more good beer coming out of Vermont than Germany your
 opinions on beer are meaningless to me.

we have a clear divergence of tastes here, so we're not going to agree.  you seem to like lagers, only - that goes a long way in explaining why you like german beer.  for me, most lagers are too flavorless.  take a pils and compare it to a stout, a belgian dubbel or an IPA - the pils is downright boring.  you're free to like less flavorful beer, but you're in the minority.  the growth in craft beer is coming from hoppy pale ales, imperial stouts, belgian witbiers, etc.

Yeah I am sure that the ten people who fly or drive int Vermont for their beer is the reason they don't sell outside a 50 miles area.  And I am sure no one flies to Munich to drink Hofbrau so that is the reason they have to ship their beer all over the world. Your posts on beer are getting more idiotic and more idiotic. 

and your posts are getting more and more ignorant.  you really should consider shutting up about things you don't know.  check out this tweet from The Alchemist Brewery: they sold every drop they canned on the same day it was canned., AKA none of it made it beyond the brewery because people were lining up to buy it on site.  i realize you're not familiar with the ins and outs of craft beer, so trust me when i tell you that this fact is beyond impressive.  why ship across the country when locals and tourists will come to you?  just ask the disappointed folks in boston.

and thank you for putting up Hofbrau as your example of standard bearer for german beer.  talk about frikken pedestrian.  it's an OK munich helles at best.  to put it up against vermont craft beer - pfffff...

Also I don't like Lagers exclusively.  I drank Birdhouse at Brewers art on Saturday.  Not a lager sorry.  To say you don't like lagers is idiotic once again because you can make a ton of different tasting lager beers.  To say you don't like lagers you might as well say you don't like beer.  Continue to drink your wine coolers.  Drive up to Vermont to get them.  I am sorry but anyone would tell you are an idiot if you think more people are going to Vermont for good beer than Germany.  Even the people in Vermont making the beer that you are dumb enough to wait in line to pay them.

atomicfront

« Reply #2671 on: June 03, 2013, 11:45:46 am »

You were an azz. Instead of just saying that Vermont has great beer you made a ridiculous statement that people go there because the Beer is better than Germany.  Which is ridiculous and trolling.  You could have said you went their for the beer and breweries you had and how great the beer was that you tasted instead you start a big fight and seem like a pretentious idiot.  To me I wouldn't go back to Vermont.  As I am not a skier and the hiking is so much better in New Hampshire.  

James Ford

« Reply #2672 on: June 03, 2013, 11:47:05 am »
They must have put the Magic Hat haul on the roof.

Top 10 US beer vacation destinations.

http://www.vacationrentals.com/media/top-10-beer-vacations.htm

The fact that San Diego is not included on such a list is criminal. The fact that Vermont is is unsurprising.

I bet most people go to Vermont go for skiing.  I bet more people go to the Ben and Jerry Factory Tour than tour any brewery you mentioned in VT.  The only brewery in VT that people actually buy  beer from is Magic Hat.  And you didn't even mention them.  Of course not as they actually sell beer.

I am not going to Germany as a beer vacation.  That actually seems pretty lame.  I will be drinking beer while I am there.  I will also be drinking beer in Austria.  I will have a good time drinking anything that comes my way.  As almost any beer that is made with just Hops, Malt, Yeast and water is going to be good.  Pretty hard to mess that up.  Beer is messed up by either adding corn syrup solids and rice and then adding water to it after it has finished brewing like Bud Light or Coors Light.  Or adding a bunch of fruit and sugar to it like Dogfish Head aprihop. 

James Ford

« Reply #2673 on: June 03, 2013, 11:55:53 am »
And you asked the ridiculous question as to why anyone would fly to Burlington. Which seems pretty idiotic.

If beer were the only criteria, I'd choose t fly to Burlington over Germany, in a heartbeat. As would many, many beer geeks.

You were an azz. Instead of just saying that Vermont has great beer you made a ridiculous statement that people go there because the Beer is better than Germany.  Which is ridiculous and trolling.  You could have said you went their for the beer and breweries you had and how great the beer was that you tasted instead you start a big fight and seem like a pretentious idiot.  To me I wouldn't go back to Vermont.  As I am not a skier and the hiking is so much better in New Hampshire.  

James Ford

« Reply #2674 on: June 03, 2013, 12:12:07 pm »
There's always a couple of head scratchers on those kinds of lists.

Boston is another one, IMO. Oh wait, alot of people drink Sam Adams and Harpoon, so they must be grat beers and hence Boston must be a great beer destination.

that list is stupid. the inclusion of Missoula is weird. i've been there, and been to both places (big sky and kettle house), and there's nothing to write home about.

atomicfront

« Reply #2675 on: June 03, 2013, 12:24:55 pm »

The fact that San Diego is not included on such a list is criminal. The fact that Vermont is is unsurprising.

I bet most people go to Vermont go for skiing.  I bet more people go to the Ben and Jerry Factory Tour than tour any brewery you mentioned in VT.  The only brewery in VT that people actually buy  beer from is Magic Hat.  And you didn't even mention them.  Of course not as they actually sell beer.

I am not going to Germany as a beer vacation.  That actually seems pretty lame.  I will be drinking beer while I am there.  I will also be drinking beer in Austria.  I will have a good time drinking anything that comes my way.  As almost any beer that is made with just Hops, Malt, Yeast and water is going to be good.  Pretty hard to mess that up.  Beer is messed up by either adding corn syrup solids and rice and then adding water to it after it has finished brewing like Bud Light or Coors Light.  Or adding a bunch of fruit and sugar to it like Dogfish Head aprihop. 

I can't wait until you get pulled over with all that beer in you car.  So you have a small SUV?  Did you say RAV-4?  I never understood the purpose of a small SUV.  All the drawbacks of an SUV with none of the benefits.   RAV-4's are tiny. I could barely get my legs to fit in the loaner one I had a few years back.  Why not just get a station wagon.  you would have more space and it would handle better.

James Ford

« Reply #2676 on: June 03, 2013, 12:31:22 pm »
Not my car. Just a random picture off of the internet. One of a humdred leaving the Alchemist with the five case per person limit, on a daily basis.

Why would someone be pulled over for having beer in their car?  You truly are a loon!

My wife likes the RAV4. That's a good enough reason for me. I'm sure she's prefer it over a station wagon because she likes the feeling of being high off the ground when she's driving.

I can't wait until you get pulled over with all that beer in you car.  So you have a small SUV?  Did you say RAV-4?  I never understood the purpose of a small SUV.  All the drawbacks of an SUV with none of the benefits.   RAV-4's are tiny. I could barely get my legs to fit in the loaner one I had a few years back.  Why not just get a station wagon.  you would have more space and it would handle better.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 12:33:42 pm by James Ford »

stevewizzle

« Reply #2677 on: June 03, 2013, 12:45:15 pm »

Boston is another one, IMO. Oh wait, alot of people drink Sam Adams and Harpoon, so they must be grat beers and hence Boston must be a great beer destination.

that list is stupid. the inclusion of Missoula is weird. i've been there, and been to both places (big sky and kettle house), and there's nothing to write home about.

yeah, also weird. harpoon has a nice little beer bar, and sam adams is somewhat historic as far microbrews go, but not much else to see otherwise.  although the whole state of Massachusetts is doing really wonderful things with beer.

i should give a shout out to Penguin Cafe in Bringham Circle though.  that bar may have bankrupted me when i turned 21, but it was what got me into craft beer. and bukowski's is kind of incredible.

atomicfront

« Reply #2678 on: June 03, 2013, 12:46:53 pm »

Why would anyone get pulled over for having drugs in their car?  You are the loon. You are saying that 100's of people leave the brewery with 5 cases each day as somehow that is supposed to impress me yet you are not impressed by the big trucks full of beer from Magic Hat each day.  You make no sense at all.  More people like Magic Hat than like whatever canned beer place you are spouting off about.  Magic Hat isn't a major brewery.  So the beer geeks must be few and far between that like Alchemist.  

atomicfront

« Reply #2679 on: June 03, 2013, 12:50:43 pm »
Funny Alchemist is right next door to Ben and Jerrys.  All the pudgy beer geeks probably were going to Ben and Jerry's for a tour and found out about the brewery after stuffing themselves with ice cream.

James Ford

« Reply #2680 on: June 03, 2013, 12:52:32 pm »
In all honesty, I haven't been to Boston in nearly 20 years. And the last time I was there, I was more interested in the girl I was visiting than I was drinking beer.

But my beer loving buddy just returned from trip there with some recommendations in tow, and I AM actually going for work next year, so have been doing some advance reading on it.

yeah, also weird. harpoon has a nice little beer bar, and sam adams is somewhat historic as far microbrews go, but not much else to see otherwise.  although the whole state of Massachusetts is doing really wonderful things with beer.

i should give a shout out to Penguin Cafe in Bringham Circle though.  that bar may have bankrupted me when i turned 21, but it was what got me into craft beer. and bukowski's is kind of incredible.

James Ford

« Reply #2681 on: June 03, 2013, 12:54:51 pm »
Before I was into beer, I drove by the sign which said "The Alchemist Cannery" having no idea what it was as I made my way to Ben and Jerry's.

Now I wouldn't even bother with Ben and Jerry's if I didn't have a kid.

Funny Alchemist is right next door to Ben and Jerrys.  All the pudgy beer geeks probably were going to Ben and Jerry's for a tour and found out about the brewery after stuffing themselves with ice cream.

stevewizzle

« Reply #2682 on: June 03, 2013, 12:58:51 pm »
Cambridge Brewing Company is incredible. criminal omission - they have a solera beer that is available from time to time, and is perhaps the best sour beer i've ever had. 

also worth noting: http://www.nightshiftbrewing.com/

check out there sour futures. 

but iirc, JF, you're not the biggest sour beer fan.

James Ford

« Reply #2683 on: June 03, 2013, 01:03:09 pm »
I don't drink sours on a regular basis, but if someone makes top notch ones, I'm not averse to trying them in the name of beer tourism!

I'll have remember to ask you about all this again this time next year, since the trip isn't until 8/2014.

And I was being sarcastic about Sam Adams and Harpoon. Obviously a number of good (likely better) things going on than just them, particularly outside of Boston proper. A top 10 beer destination though? Doubt it. I'll see.

Cambridge Brewing Company is incredible. criminal omission - they have a solera beer that is available from time to time, and is perhaps the best sour beer i've ever had. 

also worth noting: http://www.nightshiftbrewing.com/

check out there sour futures. 

but iirc, JF, you're not the biggest sour beer fan.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 01:07:51 pm by James Ford »

Yada

« Reply #2684 on: June 03, 2013, 01:20:25 pm »
Is atomicfront the world's biggest troll, douche, or ignorant?

I can't seem to figure it out.