Author Topic: Official 930 Supreme Court thread  (Read 31215 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Official 930 Supreme Court thread
« Reply #105 on: June 27, 2022, 12:44:03 pm »
I would argue the opposite

We desperately need to find a way to make less people vote.

reminder: we got rid of trump by getting more people to vote, overall.
<sig>

« Reply #106 on: June 27, 2022, 01:27:45 pm »

is it?
I thought we just rigged the election
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #107 on: June 27, 2022, 01:35:23 pm »
Shhhh. You're not supposed to say it out loud.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #108 on: June 27, 2022, 01:37:16 pm »

is it?
I thought we just rigged the election

don't be turning all QOP on us, by saying the quiet parts out loud ;)
T.Rex

Starsky

« Reply #109 on: June 27, 2022, 01:42:31 pm »

No we didn’t

We won cause we got more people to vote in the right places. We happened to have more votes nationwide but that’s irrelevant

As everyone should know by now the popular vote does not determine the winner.

In any case, the constant bellyaching by side vote that if everyone voted all would be hunky dory has worn thin…I been listening to him say this for almost thirty years and there is never one iota of supporting evidence. Let’s have the evidence side vote that if everyone voted the US would be a liberal oasis.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 01:44:34 pm by Starsky »

Starsky

« Reply #110 on: June 27, 2022, 01:44:07 pm »
And one more thing: forcing people to vote does not sit well with me.

Talk about unconstitutional!!

« Reply #111 on: June 27, 2022, 01:45:15 pm »
No we didn’t

We won cause we got more people to vote in the right places. We happened to have more votes but that’s irrelevant
All the other shit he said was gibberish...but this nailed it 100%
and just barely got the right people in the right places...just barely
was not a mandate by any means.  Popular vote means NOTHING

And one more thing: forcing people to vote does not sit well with me.
I've never advocated this
I do think everyone who is eligible should just get a mailin ballot and then it's up to them
but shouldn't be forced
slack

Starsky

« Reply #112 on: June 27, 2022, 01:47:06 pm »
Now I do agree everyone should be automatically registered to vote and voting times should be reasonable in and comparable within voting jurisdictions with national standards. But I think that’s a pipe dream.

Starsky

« Reply #113 on: June 27, 2022, 01:50:23 pm »
There is nothing I said that is gibberish.

Everyone should vote but if they did we would arguably swing more to the right. Just look at how well Trump did in the last election with all that he had going against him and how much he drove up turnout!

Take away covid or any number of other things and Trump is re-elected in a walk.

Is someone going to say wealthier more educated people tend to disproportionately vote D and the less educated poor who tend to disproportionately vote R somehow evened out D’s would stand a chance?

Of course Democrats have their own poor voting for them but it’s a much smaller set of voters.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 01:55:29 pm by Starsky »

« Reply #114 on: June 27, 2022, 01:53:58 pm »
Take away covid or any number of other things and Trump is re-elected in a walk.
take away about 40k people in 3 states and it was trump

the guy got 11million more people to show up the second time around
I think without him on the ballot, lots of them wouldn't show up
slack

Starsky

« Reply #115 on: June 27, 2022, 01:56:43 pm »
Right but you want to make it easier for those people to vote!

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #116 on: June 27, 2022, 02:01:52 pm »
Everyone should vote but if they did we would arguably swing more to the right.
No one thinks this but you. The Democrats think if 100% of eligible voters, vote, it helps Dems. You see this from their efforts to make it easier to vote.

The Republicans think if 100% of eligible voters, vote, it helps Dems. You see this from their efforts to make voting as restrictive as possible.

The Democrats think if the eligible voter pool increases nationwide (felons getting their voting rights back, just rank-and-file unregistered voters sign up holistically) it helps Dems. You see this in their efforts to increase the voter pool.

The Republicans think if the eligible voter pool increases nationwide (felons getting their voting rights back, just rank-and-file unregistered voters sign up holistically) it helps Dems. You see this in their opposition to things like automatic voter registration and automatic restoration of voting rights.

You *may* be correct, but I'm always stunned how being alone on an island on these things never seems to make you reconsider your beliefs. There's a word for people who insist they're right despite every single person telling them they're wrong.
LVMH

Starsky

« Reply #117 on: June 27, 2022, 02:05:25 pm »
A contrarían?

That’s right…I am the Salmon

There is nothing worse to me than “conventional wisdom” or just regurgitating what everyone says

The key for Democrats is to make it easier for their supporters to vote without doing so for their opponents. Seems basic but of course it’s unpalatable to say it so we hear and regurgitate all this baloney.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #118 on: June 27, 2022, 02:14:02 pm »
The key for Democrats is to make it easier for their supporters to vote without doing so for their opponents.
Of course. If every Republican in the country got a flat tire on voting day, that would be super great for Dems, but that isn't what we're talking about.

You're conflating "one side getting the vote out" [in your hypothetical, the GOP] with "everyone voting" which is not the same thing. If we split into 2 alternate universes that are absolutely identical with the exception that one universe has the voting turnout and rules we have now and the second universe has literally every adult over 18 was allowed to vote, automatically registered, and we had 100% turnout, how do you see universe #2's results compared to universe #1's? If you think it helps the GOP, can you explain why?
LVMH

Starsky

« Reply #119 on: June 27, 2022, 02:17:21 pm »
I really got to skit but one last thing

Democrats talk so much about people voting…like they won’t shut up about it

But go to most big urban areas and voting is hell. Outdated machines and huge lines election after election. Democrats expect people to wait in line for five hours sometimes in the freezing cold or rain. We see this time and time again in places like Miami, Philly, Atlanta, Detroit! Coincidentally most of these places have been run my Democrats for 50 years?

If we really care about voting like you all say we do couldn’t we at least make it somewhat easier for our natural voting constituencies to vote? Can’t we at least start with that?

But nobody cares or does anything. And we continue with this Pollyanna bull about how we want everyone to vote

Gotta run