Author Topic: Official 930 Supreme Court thread  (Read 30885 times)

Re: Official 930 Supreme Court thread
« Reply #135 on: June 29, 2022, 01:59:32 pm »
Interesting....
Congress set the number of justices on the Supreme Court in 1869 at nine to match the number of circuits in the federal court system.

Guess how many circuit courts there are today?

slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #136 on: June 30, 2022, 10:39:30 am »
SCOTUS rules in favor of Greenhouse Gases and then throw Biden a bone regarding his ending of the "Remain in Mexico" policy... Biden can and did act properly to end said 45** policy

T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #137 on: June 30, 2022, 12:34:01 pm »
changing my user name to Eeyore

Minority rule could be on it's way!!!

JUST IN: The U.S. Supreme Court has agreed to hear a case that involves the independent legislature doctrine. That is the feverish idea that state legislatures should have unfettered control over how elections are run and regulated.

https://twitter.com/boltsmag/status/1542527685498486784?s=20&t=MOFOxNoLU60oTpiqQyNkhQ

"The doctrine, if adopted, would provide new legal cover for Republicans to use their vast powers in states to subvert elections, shield aggressive gerrymanders, and restrict access to the vote in Democratic strongholds at the local level,"

among other things this would allow state legislations to go around their state courts

YIPPEE

at least i can stream music from a French company
T.Rex

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #138 on: June 30, 2022, 12:43:53 pm »
at least i can stream music from a French company

for now
<sig>

« Reply #139 on: June 30, 2022, 12:46:19 pm »
yikes...but States run elections, not the federal gov't
it's caused LOTS of problems, but I don't think the Federal Gov't is the solution
I don't have a good answer, but I think we need to as the GQP wants to make it absurd

although...he is not wrong
Michael Harriot@michaelharriot
Slavery, segregation, voting rights, gerrymandering and abortion all have one thing in common:

“States rights.”

Since the first draft of the constitution, “Leave it up to the states” has been code for “Leave it up to the racists.”
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 12:51:15 pm by I am the Cuttlefish ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #140 on: June 30, 2022, 12:58:26 pm »
Yes States run re-elections but this case is whether or not State Legislatures can do an end run around that States Courts...

i guess a scenario would be... Further restrictions would be placed by a State Legislature that is QOP controlled, but that state's courts lean liberal.. by this doctrine no one could bring a lawsuit in that State Court to challenge that restriction

shit is complicated and it makes my head hurt, but it's yet another minority rule fever dream likely rubberstamped by the current court...
T.Rex

Space Freely

« Reply #141 on: June 30, 2022, 10:31:04 pm »

« Reply #142 on: June 30, 2022, 11:26:11 pm »
That no one will notice

You have to give a little to get anything
They are not honest brokers is the issue
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #143 on: July 01, 2022, 08:51:45 am »
https://jezebel.com/biden-set-to-appoint-anti-abortion-kentucky-judge-to-li-1849126339

What's he thinking with this one?

This what I was referring to as rapidly spreading misinformation about Biden. Apparently, whom ever made this initial report has walked this back. But, it didn't stop any of a number of outlets to post sensational click bait headlines about the story..  it's all about the clicks without doing the due diligence on a story.
T.Rex

vansmack

« Reply #144 on: July 02, 2022, 04:26:10 pm »
This is an absurd request, especially after the football coach decision on first amendment rights:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/02/politics/supreme-court-justices-homes-maryland/index.html
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #145 on: July 05, 2022, 02:11:49 pm »
Hogan goes full Republican....

"In light of a recent Supreme Court ruling and to ensure compliance with the Constitution, I am directing the Maryland State Police to suspend utilization of the ‘good and substantial reason’ standard when reviewing applications for Wear and Carry Permits."

so much fuckery because of a poor written statement.. as someone pointed it's virtually impossible to update the US constitution, like other developed democracies..

>:(
T.Rex

« Reply #146 on: July 05, 2022, 02:14:54 pm »
so I think a 'reason' for owning the gun is a weird thing and I don't think that has to be a part of why you are getting a gun

Background checks and red flag laws yes, but a 'reason' just seems silly and I'm sure all you need to say is "for protection'
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #147 on: July 05, 2022, 02:25:28 pm »
so I think a 'reason' for owning the gun is a weird thing and I don't think that has to be a part of why you are getting a gun

Background checks and red flag laws yes, but a 'reason' just seems silly and I'm sure all you need to say is "for protection'

i can assure you this is a uniquely american point of view.  in every other western country i'm aware of, you can't just buy a high-powered gun - especially handguns - without providing a valid reason.  "personal protection", without being able to identify a specific threat, doesn't cut it. 

for folks from other countries, it's bewildering how normalized gun ownership is in the US.  but here we are.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 03:24:39 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

« Reply #148 on: July 05, 2022, 02:34:38 pm »
well I get that...but we are discussing how we do things in the US, so doesn't really matter what they do in Siam

also try as we might, I think putting the genie back in the bottle is impossible

we need to focus on getting some gun safety laws passed and not dither on the fringes of what would be the 'perfect solution'

of all the things we are going to parse, that people have to put a 'reason' seems like the most useless one out there
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #149 on: July 05, 2022, 03:39:21 pm »
well I get that...but we are discussing how we do things in the US, so doesn't really matter what they do in Siam

This may be the stupidest thing I've read on this board.

Other countries are case studies on what works and what doesn't. American exceptionalism doesn't apply. We're doing it wrong here.