Author Topic: Club's 30th anniversary?  (Read 199679 times)

wml7

Re: Club's 30th anniversary?
« Reply #600 on: June 01, 2010, 09:43:45 pm »
did walky make it out to this??  all has been quiet from his side  ;D

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #601 on: June 01, 2010, 10:55:36 pm »
oh yeah, i say smylie at one point but i was talking with someone else.  i was going to say hi as soon as the conversation was over, but by the time that happened he moved on.

walkies?  you there?  where you there?

More photos here:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/gallery/2010/06/01/GA2010060101821.html

I'll have the full set up tomorrow.
These are great-- we can see ourselves in the TF audience shot. 

indeed we can!  my orange t-shirt makes it pretty easy to spot me against the far bar.  i'm even easier to pick out on the evens pic.
<sig>

lily1

« Reply #602 on: June 01, 2010, 10:59:29 pm »

Yeah, we stayed till Trouble Funk finished. Went to the backbar to scope out the better beer and catch a breather. And, well, it was Justin Jones playing. Can catch him at Iota once a month...

Sorry I missed you and the other boardies. Randomly caught Bombay in passing, and saw Lily napping in the side room upstairs, but that was about it.

Sorry I missed you, Sock of Red. Saw Bags earlier in the evening. I think I dozed during Clutch-I just couldn't get into them at all. (Don't be hatin' on me you Clutch fans! I appreciated the quality of the musicianship but the music just wasn't to my personal taste.) And the Pietasters allowed for more nap time.

Tommy Keene and Fleshtones were highlights for me. And Dave Grohl.

I just loved that there was such a focus on DC musicians-didn't even mind that Psych Furs cancelled. (I saw them earlier in the year anyway.)

Thank you Seth!!! Was an incredible and legendary evening!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 11:11:40 pm by lily1 »

chancegardener

• http://www.chancegardener.com
« Reply #603 on: June 02, 2010, 12:18:51 am »
So, any chance of a DVD or CD or download of the show for those of us who love the club but could not score tix ??

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #604 on: June 02, 2010, 12:30:08 am »
there were video cameras around - what were they for?  looked like some pretty serious video equipment.
<sig>

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #605 on: June 02, 2010, 08:53:23 am »
The Furs cancelled when they learned you disapproved of Clutch.

This really is the only answer.  ;)
3MTA3

Vas Deferens

« Reply #606 on: June 02, 2010, 09:38:42 am »
Highlights:

Slickee Boys
Tommy Keene - esp. the last song.....
Clutch, of course
Scream (I'm glad Dave Grohl only get to sing once)
Marti Jones/Don Dixon (except last song - sorry Seth, this duo do not need a drummer!)

sorry, The Fleshtones are almost unbearable to watch.
(_|_)

hutch

« Reply #607 on: June 02, 2010, 10:39:16 am »
Well looks like I destroyed another computer (this time my netbook) by flipping ice tea on the keyboard..sigh... so I've been using the internets a bit less....lasted all of three months.

Of course thanks to Seth and IMP and the 930 staff for organizing a world class event for us....Being handed the ticket on the way in at the door was a nice touch.

What I'll remember about this was how at one point I had Dante (Black Cat owner) a few feet away  from me (on side of stage) with helmet under one arm, sporting his blue hair and bobbing in glee to the Scream/Dave Grohl set...That was the special moment if too short.

I'll also remember at one point on other side of the side stage seeing Henry Rollins, Ian Mackaye, Bob Mould , the bassist from Scream, Liz the booker for IMP, etc. hanging out.. Quite a group.

I'll remember Liz with her clip pad at one point running by the left hand bar to get backstage..

I'll remember Seth on the VIP box checking out Justin Jones.. what he sees in the guy I'll never know!

I'll remember Ian Mackaye once again turning the worst performance of the night and just getting by on that built in cred he's got.. The Evens set was beyond boring. If it wasn't Mackaye would anyone have cared?

On the minus side I'll remember Clutch being told to end their set NOW when they'd just about started a song and where getting going only to make way for Trouble Funk to take 30 minutes to set up and mug for pictures. I guess thats just the way it is... TF did have the crowd going so maybe it was for the best but.. The Obama cutout or what have you during Drop the Bomb was cool..

To me the evening wasn't about the music- which wasn't really all that much up my alley- but about celebrating the 930 and by extension DC so ultimately about us which is as it should be.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 10:56:14 am by hutch »

blipvurt

« Reply #608 on: June 02, 2010, 01:10:54 pm »
Here's my We Love DC write-up of Monday's amazing event. Thanks Seth and everyone who work at DC's best venue!

http://www.welovedc.com/2010/06/02/we-love-music-the-930-club-30th-anniversary-concert/

PS - Please excuse my suck-ass photos - I will never claim to be a photog.

walkonby

« Reply #609 on: June 02, 2010, 01:27:17 pm »
my story is simple, and perhaps a bit sad.  on my way to the show from my forest abode, i made it 20 minutes when i noticed a sound, a strange sound at that.  as if the road had suddenly changed grooves on my needle skip traction.  i had to pull off in a hurry to check out to see.  yes . . . there it was, a front wheel flat tire.  and not just a hole, or a leak with it's hiss and you know you can't make it much further, but rather a slice or a gash and my tire was whole wheat shredded.  on a bolt.  it was a bolt in the road that i had hit and it destroyed a new tire i had for two months.  i knew right then and there that it was no way i was attempting to drive 2 hours up and 2 hours back on a doughnut.  and it cost me $150.  oh yeah . . . as i was changing it, just to be nice, the clouds opened up into a pour down water bucket that enforced even more that ole murphy's law chestnut, "hah hah hah human, you are not going, so have some rain pain to wash away your baby tears."  the end.  another time forumers.    

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #610 on: June 02, 2010, 01:43:13 pm »
dang, that sucks walkies.  sorry to hear that. 

on the upside, you didn't get mugged and shot - which is an inevitability in mean ol' DC, right? silver lining, silver lining...
<sig>

walkonby

« Reply #611 on: June 02, 2010, 01:48:22 pm »
dang, that sucks walkies.  sorry to hear that. 

on the upside, you didn't get mugged and shot - which is an inevitability in mean ol' DC, right? silver lining, silver lining...

that would have been the icing on my "always happens in scarytown" cake. 

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #612 on: June 02, 2010, 02:07:54 pm »
Here's my We Love DC write-up of Monday's amazing event. Thanks Seth and everyone who work at DC's best venue!

http://www.welovedc.com/2010/06/02/we-love-music-the-930-club-30th-anniversary-concert/

PS - Please excuse my suck-ass photos - I will never claim to be a photog.

good write-up!  had me re-living the evening.  one small factoid correction, because i'm annoyingly nit-picky this way: you wrote "Bob Mould simply owned the stage. He stood stage right and played unaccompanied."  he was actually stage left, also know as house right.  "stage left" and "stage right" are always from the performer's perspective, not the audience's (example). 

i'll stop now  :-X
<sig>

blipvurt

« Reply #613 on: June 02, 2010, 02:40:03 pm »
Thanks sweetcell. Both for enjoying the article and the correction! Someday I will get that stage-left/right thing through my thick skull.

Shadrach

« Reply #614 on: June 02, 2010, 02:58:35 pm »
I'm happy to read that Clutch has finally made believers out of several of you. And all it took was a free show. I think over the years there's been a thought that turning you folks onto Clutch was this conspiracy that eddie, thatguy and myself cooked up to trick you into listening to some crappy band. That just couldn't be further from the truth. We see and hear literally hundreds and thousands of bands a year here and there just isn't another band that is as consistently amazing show after show, year after year. So to those of you that liked what you saw and heard, come see them in all their glory the next time they come through 9:30 and those of you that remain non-believers, sorry we weren't able to indoctrinate you, but hey it's your loss.

Pure Rock Fury.