Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3242110 times)

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #10440 on: April 02, 2021, 12:02:36 pm »
Who else was lucky enough to snag the Cantillon spring pack this morning?

I did, but i traded it to Hutch for two Crazy Horse tickets.
unwise choice
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #10441 on: April 02, 2021, 12:19:45 pm »
Who else was lucky enough to snag the Cantillon spring pack this morning?

I did, but i traded it to Hutch for two Crazy Horse tickets.
unwise choice

Should be a good tour. They're doing 100% Purity Ring covers!

Space Freely

« Reply #10442 on: April 02, 2021, 08:56:33 pm »
I had a Zombie Dust last night, and it was fine. Just think West Coast IPA, and you'll be ok.

Heading out to hike Little Devils Stairs in VA today, with a stop at Pen Druid on the way home.

Then hiking Loudoun Heights Sunday, with beer stops TBD....Wheatland Spring, Vanish Farmwoods, and Dynasty are the possibilities (haven't been to any of them.)

I did Old Rag last week for the first time in about 20 years - it was great! I was surprised at how much ice was still on the trails in parts

Wheatland Spring is good. They have some blended bottled beers that I bet people would rank up with Hill Farmstead in a blind tasting.

Same with Pen Druids Cerise - world class

Cerise is currently on draft at Dominion in Falls Church, in case anyone wants to try it without having to drive the Sperryville.

Yada

Space Freely

« Reply #10444 on: April 06, 2021, 08:14:54 am »
Went hiking yesterday and stopped by Cushwa for the first time. Had a very good DIPA, but most impressive was the best ice cream fruited sour I've ever had in my life.

Pros: Great beer and great good
Cons:picnic tables give you a view of I-81, outdoor area could use some music

https://untappd.com/b/cushwa-brewing-company-ben-and-garry-s/4234562

We had the boy from FourScore Beer Company, Ben Little, come up to collab and try to teach us his ways. If you’ve been paying attention to what he’s been cranking out, you know he brings the thicccness with all of his fruited sour series, and they’re absolute fire. The result of his tutelage is this insane Mango Pistachio Vanilla Soft Serve Ice Cream fruited sour. This is our thickest beer to date. Packed with the most amount of mango we’ve ever used, a ridiculous amount of top-secret ice cream treatment, and more pistachios than you could eat in one sitting (If you are anything like us you can eat a bunch at one time). Straight mango, creamy sweetness with a nice pistachio taste to meld it all together. CONTAINS LACTOSE AND NUTS*

Seems like they would get in trouble for the name and label art, but what do i know?

Space Freely

« Reply #10445 on: April 06, 2021, 10:19:46 am »

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #10446 on: April 06, 2021, 11:21:11 am »
I’d like to get to Cushwa myself one day. I’m never out that way so it ain’t happening any time soon.

« Reply #10447 on: April 06, 2021, 11:36:34 am »
https://theknow.denverpost.com/2021/04/05/gabf-2021-cancelled/255844/

Funny that a beer fest in October is being cancelled, while one in April is being held.

https://www.facebook.com/jwakefieldbeer/photos/3785128528191548
this was interesting to see being in FL:
•Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination (2x)   
•NEGATIVE COVID-19 test result taken up to 72 hours prior to the event   
(name on these documents MUST match ticket holder, no exceptions!)   
slack

K8teebug

« Reply #10448 on: April 06, 2021, 12:10:51 pm »
Love Cushwa. Excited to see their new tap room. Will get there one day.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10449 on: April 06, 2021, 03:11:40 pm »
i went to my local yesterday for the first time in over a year.  we have been buying occasional crowlers-to-go from them but haven't set foot inside since the before times.  t'was a gorgeous day to be sitting outside in their expanded outdoor seating.  had two of their IPAs which were delish.  met up with another homebrewer (meeting non-family in public again = weird) and the owner-brewer sat with us for a while.  chatted a lot about how the brewery has survived for the past year.  he attributed everything to the goodwill they accumulated before the pandemic thus motivating the community to step up and keep buying from them.  we tasted my first lager (frankly sucks), my barrel-aged imperial milk stout (a hit) and my peach sour (an even bigger hit).

in other news, someone brought me cans of Cloudburst this past weekend.  i wasn't aware that they had started canning during the pandemic, but i should have known they were since every brewery has pivoted to cans and bottles.  if you click though the image below to its full-size version, you'll see they printed "don't trade" on the label (left-most can, on the skeleton-astronaut).

<sig>

« Reply #10450 on: April 06, 2021, 03:23:30 pm »
not that I ever do that...but why would they care if people trade?  (I assume they mean people like Yada/bres who make a side business out of porch bombs)
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10451 on: April 06, 2021, 03:50:26 pm »
not that I ever do that...but why would they care if people trade?  (I assume they mean people like Yada/bres who make a side business out of porch bombs)

quality control.  trading = shipping = beer sitting in a hot truck or warehouse for days on end, plus the packaging may not be meant for travel (growlers, crowlers, etc.).  so the concerns is that the recipient gets an oxidized, heat-stressed beer that doesn't taste the way it should, so they say "that brewery sucks!"  thus the brewery takes a reputational hit for something they have no control over.
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #10452 on: April 06, 2021, 03:52:32 pm »
I'm sure they are respectable, but is anybody clamoring for a Cloudburst trade? Yada? Brennser?

Yada

« Reply #10453 on: April 06, 2021, 05:35:08 pm »
I'm sure they are respectable, but is anybody clamoring for a Cloudburst trade? Yada? Brennser?

No. Can confirm. I also can confirm that I haven't traded beer in two maybe three years, but my guess cloudburst is getting no bad reputation for a beer sitting on a truck for 24 extra hours.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 05:37:30 pm by Yada »

vansmack

« Reply #10454 on: April 06, 2021, 05:35:59 pm »
Are we allowed to talk about hard-booch in this thread?

The Brand has been trying to get me to drink kombucha for years for my gut, but I have been ignoring the request.  She brought home some Kombucha with alcohol so of course I'll give that a shot.

Turns out it's pretty good.  I mean, I only drink one a day, but I feel like my craps are better. 
27>34