Author Topic: New Music Magazine for Old People!  (Read 27296 times)

Liberte

Re: New Music Magazine for Old People!
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2003, 03:42:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

Originally posted by Bagster:
  I just don't see that demographic generally buying a magazine about music, even a glossy one.

I think it could work.

- "Older" people are buying more music.
 - There isn't a magazine serving this market.
 - The demographic has high disposable income.
 - Magazine readership is up, especially among households making >$60,000.

Of course, a lot would depend on the content of the magazine.  I agree that this demographic probably doesn't want endless arcane information about the band members, but if it were a music magazine with a mix of other style-related articles, I don't think it would have a lot of trouble reaching its target circulation of 100,000 [/b]
Those are good points.  However, I think that a safer way to capture that appeal would be including a stronger dose of old-people-friendly music content in "lifestyle" magazines, which are a proven format.  In fact, I've noticed that trend on the covers of such magazines (not having a lifestyle which qualifies for magazine coverage myself, I don't actually read the things).  Old pop stars who might once have been beyond the pale socially, but who continue to sell records and did not die from their formerly wild lifestyle choices, now qualify as "regular" celebrities.  Celebrity + Lifestyle is apparently a recipe for printing money nowadays.

« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2003, 03:44:00 pm »
I don't know, it strikes me that people that spend $2000 a year on cd's are those who are buying out of habit.

yeah, what strikes me is that these consumers are buying just out of habit.  They used to like Sting, so they buy the new Sting album.  Or those folks who buy any new Dave Matthews album.  I don't see that buying contingent purchasing a whole magazine on music, even if it's supposedly geared towards them.  They're not the kind of music fan who would spend a couple hours reading about it.

Originally posted by markie:
  older people may be buying music regularly, but those doing so, are they really listening to Sting, REM,  Dolly Parton and all that shite.

I just hoped they were spur of moment purchases by uneducated customers. Aiming a magazine at them would be futile.
[/b]

sonickteam2

« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2003, 03:56:00 pm »
 And gay guys.  Dance music and VH-1 crap.  They're also the guys I know who buy John Mayer and Counting Crows.

apparently you are as close minded as the people you are talking about being close minded.

hypocrisy is great when written down.

i like dance music and counting crows.  am i gay?  not indie enough anyway

sonickteam2

« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2003, 03:57:00 pm »
Originally posted by Celeste:

I'm in this odd, indie middle ground.  I love it, but few reach me.  (Okay, I love Magnet, and am giving CMJ another chance.)
make no mistake, you are being reached---part of the marketing strategy to "indie" hipsters is to make them think they are not being marketed to and that they discover stuff on their own [/b]
for once, i agree with celeste AND rhett on this one.  I posted this at first to be informational, but apparently it has turned much more entertaining  :)

ggw

« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2003, 04:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:
 am i gay?
Did you buy the new Streisand album?

ggw

« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2003, 04:02:00 pm »
 make no mistake, you are being reached---part of the marketing strategy to "indie" hipsters is to make them think they are not being marketed to and that they discover stuff on their own
I thought that was the conventional strategy for marketing to Generation X?  Or are all hipsters Gen X?

Celeste

« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2003, 04:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

make no mistake, you are being reached---part of the marketing strategy to "indie" hipsters is to make them think they are not being marketed to and that they discover stuff on their own
I thought that was the conventional strategy for marketing to Generation X?  Or are all hipsters Gen X? [/b]
a technique developed for the "Gen X" market honed for others, naturally

Bags

« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2003, 04:23:00 pm »
I never said anyone was closed minded.  There is nothing wrong with only buying the CDS discussed in this thread.  Most people do; I'm the freak with the obsession to buy more and more cds of more and more artists.

Yes, I think a lot of this VH-1 music is crap.  You got me there. That was the one judgement I made, and I apologize for offending anyone on it.  I'm not saying that for the hell of it, I mean it.

Sorry, but I'm friends with about 50 gay men, and they almost all have the CDs I listed -- but the range is so small.  Like I said in an earlier thread, I was making suppositions based on my group of friends and the folks I know. I never said my suppositions were factual or even correct, but they do seem to jibe with the analysis underscoring the launch of the magazine.

How on EARTH you got me saying, "you listen to dance music and Counting Crows so you're gay" is, quite honestly, hysterical.  Counting Crows was an example, calm down.

It is so funny to see the things that suddenly set someone on fire here.  I've done the same thing.  If you believe I'm a hypocrite Sonick, that's fine.  But you're logic is nonsensical as well.  That was like a syllogism with an entire premise missing.

And gay guys.  Dance music and VH-1 crap.  They're also the guys I know who buy John Mayer and Counting Crows.

apparently you are as close minded as the people you are talking about being close minded.

i like dance music and counting crows.  am i gay?  not indie enough anyway [/b]

Bags

« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2003, 04:28:00 pm »
From All Music Guide(not a testament, certainly, but I can't believe anyone doubts that Counting Crows fall into this category we've all been talking about -- which I call "VH-1" and is adult oriented rock):

Counting Crows
 "Adult Alternative Pop/Rock"

sonickteam2

« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2003, 04:33:00 pm »
  I never said anyone was closed minded.  There is nothing wrong with only buying the CDS discussed in this thread.  Most people do; I'm the freak with the obsession to buy more and more cds of more and more artists.

Yes, I think a lot of this VH-1 music is crap.  You got me there. That was the one judgement I made, and I apologize for offending anyone on it.  I'm not saying that for the hell of it, I mean it.

Sorry, but I'm friends with about 50 gay men, and they almost all have the CDs I listed -- but the range is so small.  Like I said in an earlier thread, I was making suppositions based on my group of friends and the folks I know. I never said my suppositions were factual or even correct, but they do seem to jibe with the analysis underscoring the launch of the magazine.

How on EARTH you got me saying, "you listen to dance music and Counting Crows so you're gay" is, quite honestly, hysterical.  Counting Crows was an example, calm down.

It is so funny to see the things that suddenly set someone on fire here.  I've done the same thing.  If you believe I'm a hypocrite Sonick, that's fine.  But you're logic is nonsensical as well.  That was like a syllogism with an entire premise missing.

i like dance music and counting crows.  am i gay?  not indie enough anyway [/b]
[/b]
me saying what i said, was a quote from you.  so dont act confused.
   as for me, i am not fired up, as i said before, only markie gets me fired up, you, i dont listen to.  
   and if you are anal retentive enough to know what 50 CDs people besides yourself own, then more power to you.
    i just think what your saying is ridiculous and contradicting to the lifestyle you say you live, and asked you a question.
    I believe you are the one a little fired up  ;)

its ok, its happens to even the best "indie" people sometimes

markie

« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2003, 04:33:00 pm »
   Counting Crows
 "Adult Alternative Pop/Rock"
Allmusic is useless here though as it lumps in trip hop of portishead and snaeker pimps and leaves out matchbox 20, the living embodiment of pop rock.

dont tell Mankie that the beautiful south are prominently featured.......

« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2003, 04:35:00 pm »
Bags: Geesh. How does one get to be friends with 50 gay men? Do you work for a dance troop, or belong to a Bette Midler fan club?

Markie: You have Erasure and Robbie Williams in your cd collection. Other cheesy stuff (by some peoples standards) I'm sure. Your wife has New Kids on the Block paraphanalia in your apartment. I think those things alone would disqualify you from being allowed to judge somebody for owning "shite" like REM or Sting. And I'm willing to bet 10 bucks you haven't heard anything, other than perhaps the admittedly cheezy Zepplin and Eagles covers, off the otherwise quite fine last three Dolly Parton albums.
    I think GGW makes some fine points about the marketability of such a magazine. Wouldn't interest me personally (unless someone of interest was in a particular issue), but I think it has a good shot at flying.

markie

« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2003, 04:36:00 pm »
  only markie gets me all fired up,  
Ok Pat Benetar, did you look here yet?

http://www.930.com/cgi-bin/ubb-cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005319

Bags

« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2003, 04:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  Bags: Geesh. How does one get to be friends with 50 gay men? Do you work for a dance troop, or belong to a Bette Midler fan club?
I went to Vassar    ;)

markie

« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2003, 04:39:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
     Markie: You have Erasure and Robbie Williams in your cd collection. Other cheesy stuff (by some peoples standards) I'm sure. Your wife has New Kids on the Block paraphanalia in your apartment. I think those things alone would disqualify you from being allowed to judge somebody for owning "shite" like REM or Sting.  
To know shite one must embrace it first. Although only the erasure is mine and I only like old erasure. The new erasure is really shite. Actually its worse than shite.

I know nought of Dollys latest releases. I should not have used her as an example.