Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1313367 times)

challenged

• Instagram
Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #1230 on: April 06, 2015, 10:19:58 am »
Pretty rockin' Benjamin Booker show... fell a bit into monotonous territory at times, but a good show nonetheless. Not sure who was doing sound last night but it was WAAAAAY too loud.

Decided to go at the last minute. Paid with FriendsWithBenefits procured gift card.

Really enjoyed this show; had seen him open for Courtney Barnett last year in NY, and wanted to see how he stretched it out for a headline show. Some of the extended jamming went too long for me.

Sound back by the Board was good, and not too loud for me. Only used earplugs on the last 2 songs or so. The soundguy had definitely recently been through some shit. He had bandages and stitches covering a lot of the left side of his face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEsZAPRfQtw

Yada

« Reply #1231 on: April 06, 2015, 10:27:33 am »
Pretty rockin' Benjamin Booker show... fell a bit into monotonous territory at times, but a good show nonetheless. Not sure who was doing sound last night but it was WAAAAAY too loud.

Decided to go at the last minute. Paid with FriendsWithBenefits procured gift card.

Really enjoyed this show; had seen him open for Courtney Barnett last year in NY, and wanted to see how he stretched it out for a headline show. Some of the extended jamming went too long for me.

Sound back by the Board was good, and not too loud for me. Only used earplugs on the last 2 songs or so. The soundguy had definitely recently been through some shit. He had bandages and stitches covering a lot of the left side of his face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEsZAPRfQtw

Yeah... I think the above average volume may have been more about where I was standing vs. the entire room. It was a breath of fresh air to be in the club at a non sold out show!

Yeah, the long jamz (or mainly just feedback) was a bit much.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #1232 on: April 06, 2015, 12:32:10 pm »
do u all understand Benjamin Booker when he sings?
(_|_)

Vas Deferens

« Reply #1233 on: April 06, 2015, 12:35:55 pm »
rockin' but the songs aren't there

(_|_)

Yada

« Reply #1234 on: April 06, 2015, 01:12:32 pm »
do u all understand Benjamin Booker when he sings?

he's quite breathy.

Relaxer

« Reply #1235 on: April 09, 2015, 09:15:46 am »
I am coming to believe that Diarrhea Planet is a band that was made solely for my enjoyment. Every time they play, all I can think is "This is the greatest band of all time." Their records aren't that great, but they are amazing.

Last night's BC crowd was remarkably impassive at first, but the DP brought us up and through the roof. By the time they closed with Baba O'Riley and the hot dog man was surfing the crowd, everyone in the front half was going crazy. Such a great band. And the best part about having 4 guitar players is that it's a lock that at all times, at least one of them is rocking out of his mind.
oword

« Reply #1236 on: April 09, 2015, 09:58:50 am »
I couldn't agree with you more...they were awesome last night
my first show and I was left wanting more (only 45 mins for a headliner!?)
It's been a while since I've seen a band solely on recommendation and didn't know any of their catalog

And of course there was a DC dog sighting
Baba was off the hook

What was the song 2 or 3 before baba?
soo good, very melodic

What I also really enjoyed was that the club was at about 1/2 capacity...which was an absolute dream
I so enjoy shows where you can go up to the front if you want, hang in the back or just roam around and not have to worry about it

Sound was spot on...was a little concerned showing up with out earplugs and it was fine

slack

Relaxer

« Reply #1237 on: April 09, 2015, 10:23:50 am »
I got there at just after 10 and they were already on, so I wondered if they'd gone on earlier than 10 because the main set was over so quickly.

I'm not sure which song you mean (2-3 songs before Baba) but if it was the one that started out kind of slow and then proceeded to just explode, THAT was the song that won over the crowd. Before that, I think maybe people were just overly pummeled by the volume and sheer rockingness, so they slowed it down, brought everyone up gradually, exploded into the stratosphere, and then metal-pedaled it through the rest of the set. It really worked.

And as I left, thinking "man that was so great, but short", I'd probably have to say it's a good thing to have people wanting more than thinking "ok, I've had it" and leaving early. Because these guys now seem to play here once or twice a year, which means I will go see them every single time they even sniff DC.
oword

« Reply #1238 on: April 09, 2015, 11:22:20 am »
I got there right at 10 and could hear them taking the stage shortly after, so I don't think you missed much, but they were done at 10:45

took me a little while to get upstairs as I was getting JSBX tix (they don't take CC so had to wait in a line for the ATM)
slack

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #1239 on: April 09, 2015, 03:59:09 pm »
I really loved the show; the sheer rockingness of it all, at least one guitarist was soloing at all times. So much band member crowd surfing, and the hot dog guy was an interesting touch. Drummer was a sweaty mess of awesomeness. Show started a couple of minutes before 10, and was over by 10:38ish - WHICH WAS PERFECT TIMING FOR MY OLD SELF! I felt like Babyhead got the crowd into it.

hutch

« Reply #1240 on: April 09, 2015, 04:51:27 pm »
38 minute show?

Relaxer

« Reply #1241 on: April 10, 2015, 09:25:59 am »
Too short, for sure. And it feels weird to say that I'll take a too short show over a too long show, because you can always just leave. But I'd rather leave the venue still buzzing, still glowing, still wanting, from being rocked in every hole than trudging out feeling tired and overdone and seeing that it's 12:30 am
oword

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #1242 on: April 10, 2015, 09:38:49 am »
still buzzing, still glowing, still wanting, from being rocked in every hole
Walkie is going to lose his ever-loving shit.
LVMH

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #1243 on: April 10, 2015, 11:16:10 am »
38 minute show?

I think maybe 41 minute show.

Yada

« Reply #1244 on: April 10, 2015, 11:24:10 am »
That roughly 90 minute show is the sweet spot these days for me.