Author Topic: The Home Improvement Thread  (Read 57544 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: The Home Improvement Thread
« Reply #390 on: January 25, 2023, 03:16:13 pm »
Dropping this here because we don't have a furniture thread, guaranteed to improve any home

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FnS3FmwacAATdvP?format=jpg&name=small
T.Rex

Space Freely

« Reply #391 on: April 04, 2023, 09:13:42 am »
Couple of weeks ago I notices the smoke alarm wasn't working.

I didn't have any 9V batteries and kept forgetting to buy any. I figured it wasn't a big deal since how often do houses in my middle class neighborhood burn down? We've been here for 19 years and zero fires in the neighborhood.

I got some batteries Sunday and set my smoke alarm back in action.

The very next day, a neighbor's (same block, next street over) house burns to a crisp.

Frosty Finger

« Reply #392 on: April 04, 2023, 09:17:03 am »
Damn dude it was meant to be you. Close call.

« Reply #393 on: April 04, 2023, 09:45:08 am »
. I figured it wasn't a big deal since how often do houses in my middle class neighborhood burn down?
About 10 years ago there was a fire in my neighborhood and a mother and daughter died, I think the smoke detectors were not working
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #394 on: April 04, 2023, 09:49:34 am »
. I figured it wasn't a big deal since how often do houses in my middle class neighborhood burn down?
About 10 years ago there was a fire in my neighborhood and a mother and daughter died, I think the smoke detectors were not working

Wow, that's terrible.

This fire took place in the broad daylight of the morning. Whole family got out safely.

We also have a fire extinguisher that has been sitting there in our kitchen unused for at least 19 years. How long are those things supposed to last and how do you test them?

« Reply #395 on: April 04, 2023, 09:51:32 am »
We also have a fire extinguisher that has been sitting there in our kitchen unused for at least 19 years. How long are those things supposed to last and how do you test them?
You don't test them, I'd read the label they typically say
but most consumer ones are only 1-time use is my understanding
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #396 on: April 04, 2023, 01:22:59 pm »

the chemicals inside the extinguisher don't go bad.  your main concern is pressure.  check the gauge on the the extinguisher, should tell you if there is sufficient pressure in there or not.
<sig>

Frosty Finger

« Reply #397 on: April 04, 2023, 01:49:10 pm »
Just shake it really hard! If it shakes violently and you hear a crazy gurgle rumble you are good!

Space Freely

« Reply #398 on: August 22, 2023, 12:23:08 pm »
We have several internal doors and doorframes that are in desperate need of repair or replacement. I won't say how they got broken. Who do we contact? A handyman? Some kind of carpenter? Some kind of door company? Do they get the door for you, or are you supposed to have it? These are all interior doors, not doors that lead to the outside.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #399 on: August 22, 2023, 02:02:57 pm »
I'd think you need to work on the cause, not the symptom.

Frosty Finger

« Reply #400 on: August 22, 2023, 02:10:05 pm »
Dangerous to have outside contractors see that. Under Gov Blackface edict they have to report signs of spousal abuse

Space Freely

« Reply #401 on: August 22, 2023, 02:43:07 pm »
I'd think you need to work on the cause, not the symptom.

We're sending the cause away to college in less than two years. Problem solved.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #402 on: August 22, 2023, 03:25:43 pm »
We have several internal doors and doorframes that are in desperate need of repair or replacement. I won't say how they got broken. Who do we contact? A handyman? Some kind of carpenter? Some kind of door company? Do they get the door for you, or are you supposed to have it? These are all interior doors, not doors that lead to the outside.

depends on the answer to "repair or replacement".
- repair: handyman/general contractor
- replacement: either a competent/experienced handyman, or a door/window company (they often do both).

unless you have very specific requirements for your interior doors, i'd go the handyman route.  a door company is likely overkill and will be expensive*.  measure your doors, then go to a big hardware store and see what door-and-frame sets they have.  they get a handyman to install them.  ideally, have the handyman over beforehand and show him what you want replaced - he might have suggestions, etc.

*we are currently having several windows and the front door replaced by a top-shelf door/window company.  total bill will be more than what we paid for our new car.

These are all interior doors, not doors that lead to the outside.

thanks for the clarification.
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #403 on: August 22, 2023, 04:45:01 pm »

depends on the answer to "repair or replacement".
- repair: handyman/general contractor
- replacement: either a competent/experienced handyman, or a door/window company (they often do both).

unless you have very specific requirements for your interior doors, i'd go the handyman route.  a door company is likely overkill and will be expensive*.  measure your doors, then go to a big hardware store and see what door-and-frame sets they have.  they get a handyman to install them.  ideally, have the handyman over beforehand and show him what you want replaced - he might have suggestions, etc.

*we are currently having several windows and the front door replaced by a top-shelf door/window company.  total bill will be more than what we paid for our new car.

These are all interior doors, not doors that lead to the outside.

thanks for the clarification.

Thanks. Very helpful. Until yesterday, I think we were in the "repair" category. But now for at least one of them, I'd put it in the "replace" category.

evilizac

« Reply #404 on: August 22, 2023, 05:12:51 pm »
Not sure how much repair is necessary, but I work for a home repair and painting company, so I looked up something similar for replacement that we did in the past year or so. We're on the pricier side, but I feel like the numbers give a decent breakdown.
For a new door, of reasonable quality, assuming it's door with frame, you're probably looking at $1,500.00 to $2,000.00 for a new door and labor.
   That's likely assuming the following: 2 workers x 8.0 hours to remove and install new, trim out or finish around as necessary, $300-$500 for the door, and another $100-$200 for other materials, as/if necessary.

I hate my job.

WHAT?