Author Topic: Starsailor review...  (Read 9748 times)

Re: Starsailor review...
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2004, 06:22:00 pm »
Kosmo, what's the deal with the Waxwings first album vs. second album? I can only find clips from the first one, and it sounds good. Reviews of the second one seem to be unfavorable, and say they took a turn toward a more garage-y sound. Can't find any clips.

I'm guessing that the first one is the one I'd like more?

Also saw their new one is being produced by Brendan Benson...perhaps a return to the sound of the first one?

Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:

Originally posted by lily1:
  kosmo, that was a great set. any chance you could easily burn onto cd and could whisk off as a mix to me?
yeah i can do that, kosmette has already requested i recreate the mix for her ipod   :D   it will give me a chance to put together some cds for my own use when djing as well. can't promise it this week because i've got other projects in the works.  

the catch is you have to at least promise to checkout de novo dahl, splitsville, the mood elevator and the waxwings. [/b]

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2004, 06:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by Mr. Unctuous:
  Kosmo, what's the deal with the Waxwings first album vs. second album? I can only find clips from the first one, and it sounds good. Reviews of the second one seem to be unfavorable, and say they took a turn toward a more garage-y sound. Can't find any clips.

I'm guessing that the first one is the one I'd like more?

Also saw their new one is being produced by Brendan Benson... perhaps a return to the sound of the first one?

Well the second one is tougher sounding then the first.  Probably as a friend from Detroit the result of being out on tour and rocking out.  I just recently got the second one and haven't given it to many spins.  You'll be hard pressed to find either of those cds, I think the second is out of print already, because of the infamous  letter  from the label owner to the band that circulated the internet last year.  

So yes the first one is quieter more ringing 12 string sounding than the second, even a bit like the stones roses on a couple numbers.  don't know about a return in sound to the first, other than the waxwings guitarist was touring briefly with brendan as a fill-in.
T.Rex

Samantha

« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2004, 08:56:00 pm »
  thanks everybody for the kind words regarding saturday's set.  it keeps me motivated to continue doing something i really enjoy doing. even if i tend to over function about what i'm going to spin.

phoenix is a band i would have never heard about had it not been mentioned on a listserve when the record came out.  i really dig "United" and think everyone one should check it out.  it's like listing to a schizo compliation record.  

they were signed to Source records in france, same as Air, and distributed in the US by Astralwerks.  the last band website I could find was really out of date and seems to have disappeared since then.  even the Source records
 website has vanished.  if you do a google search you can find outdated info via the astralwerks site.  they did a handful of dates in europe when the record came and apparently haven't been heard from since.  shame because the record is a fun listen and very refreshing.  hell it must be good... pitchfork gave a 8.6    ;)  

i have the us release plus a could cd singles if anyone is interested in hearing them.  the record probably can be found in most cutout bins at this point too...
that's so awesome, you're the first person I've met who knows who they are.  I haven't been able to find United in a store anywhere.  I've had the same problems finding info on them online.  it's really obnoxious!!  I used to be outright addicted to them, then because of lack of material I just kind of forgot them, thanks for reminding me!

lily1

« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2004, 11:45:00 pm »
excellent. thanks kosmo!

btw, i already know of the waxwings and have seen them live. sadly, they did nothing for me.

/QUOTE]yeah i can do that, osmette has already requested i recreate the mix for her ipod    :D    it will give me a chance to put together some cds for my own use when djing as well. can't promise it this week because i've got other projects in the works.  

the catch is you have to at least promise to checkout de novo dahl, splitsville, the mood elevator and the waxwings.

Richard D Taylor

« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2004, 12:40:00 am »
If you like bands like Starsailor, Coldplay and Travis, you'll love Keane!  The band has no guitars and all the songs that I've heard so far are piano ballads.
I definitely second the recommendation for Keane.  I think their music would also appeal to music fans who are into The Smiths, James, and The Beautiful South. "This is the Last Time" (which I'm hoping will appear on their debut album) was my favorite single from last year...

lily1

« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2004, 01:36:00 pm »
oh, a friend in the uk told me about them. i think they've only toured in and around london though. correct me if i'm wrong.

tom mcrae is a recommendation also.

Originally posted by friend of Guy Chadwick:
 [QB]
If you like bands like Starsailor, Coldplay and Travis, you'll love Keane!  The band has no guitars and all the songs that I've heard so far are piano ballads.