Author Topic: Starsailor review...  (Read 9753 times)

paige

Re: Starsailor review...
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2004, 07:09:00 pm »
Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  Seriously Kosmo, I only heard your set after the Starsailor gig but I thought every song was excellent.  I'd never heard any of them before.
me too! you did a great job with the music. yay for kosmo.

this monkey

« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2004, 07:26:00 pm »
Great job kosmo!  I don't know you, but when I walked in, the first song I heard was Elastica and after a while I kind of wondered if it was someone from the board DJ-ing.  It was perfect, especially the set between JR and Starsailor.

I thought the show was great, too, by the way.  Well, I wasn't too impressed with Jonathan Rice, I just think I've seen far too many singer/songwriters with political rants, and he's all of what... thirteen?  He couldn't be a day over fourteen, anyway.  But Starsailor were rocking and sweet.  My friend didn't like them, said they lacked the "dynamics" of a band like the Strokes (his example)... I saw the Strokes once at the 9:30 Club and was bored to death.  Starsailor may be melodramatic and far too earnest, but you know, I'll take a band that smiles and wears their hearts on their sleeves and appreciates the audience over some aloof hipsters in $200 jeans any day.

paige

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2004, 07:32:00 pm »
Originally posted by this monkey:

I thought the show was great, too, by the way.  Well, I wasn't too impressed with Jonathan Rice, I just think I've seen far too many singer/songwriters with political rants, and he's all of what... thirteen?  He couldn't be a day over fourteen, anyway.  
ahem- he's 20, thank you very much   ;)

poorlulu

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2004, 09:00:00 pm »
starsailor were really very good,  james's voice is incredible.........could have done without the homage to bruce springsteen and u2 though...........

but that was one of the worst audiences i've ever had the misfortune of standing in.............i blame mark e, pollard and thirsty for leaving so late and meaning we didn't get to the front..........ya bastids!!!!

thanks josh for getting me upstairs to see the man on the wheels of steel..........

Samantha

« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2004, 02:18:00 am »
yes it was a fantastic show.  wish I would've known I was going sooner, but it was a last minute thing, otherwise maybe some of us could have met up.  I didn't hear much of JR, I went with a friend I hadn't seen in a year and we were busy chatting & catching up.  we came half way through his set.
 kosmo: I didn't hear the song, but I noticed in your list you played Phoenix...I don't even remember how I heard of them, but I used to be addicted to that band, yet I could never find ANYTHING on them, or any of their music.  what do you know about them?? are they still around?

« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2004, 10:43:00 am »
Post review

Starsailor

Starsailor's James Walsh is unlikely to gain admittance to the intellectual wing of the Brit-pop movement, but there's no denying his knack for writing fabulously fetching melodies. And while being swept away in a tidal wave of luscious sound, who gives a fig about alienation? And who cares if the lyrics are purest treacle?

Saturday at the 9:30 club, Starsailor -- whose up-and-coming career received a welcome boost of publicity after legendary producer (and alleged killer) Phil Spector broke a two-decade silence to produce a pair of songs on its latest release, last year's "Silence Is Easy" -- played a soaring set that included an energetic version of the impossibly catchy title track, a lovely "Lullaby," and, for a show-closer, a bracing "Good Souls." A solo Walsh even threw in spirited covers of U2's "All I Want Is You" -- truncated because, as he sheepishly admitted, "I don't know the words" -- and Bruce Springsteen's "Thunder Road."

There's no mistaking Walsh for any of Springsteen's devil-may-care characters. Indeed, he may be the first rocker ever to preface a song with the statement "We're the nice boys of rock, and it's getting past our bedtime." Born to run? Hardly. But to croon? You can bet on it.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2004, 12:11:00 pm »
thanks everybody for the kind words regarding saturday's set.  it keeps me motivated to continue doing something i really enjoy doing. even if i tend to over function about what i'm going to spin.

phoenix is a band i would have never heard about had it not been mentioned on a listserve when the record came out.  i really dig "United" and think everyone one should check it out.  it's like listing to a schizo compliation record.  

they were signed to Source records in france, same as Air, and distributed in the US by Astralwerks.  the last band website I could find was really out of date and seems to have disappeared since then.  even the Source records
 website has vanished.  if you do a google search you can find outdated info via the astralwerks site.  they did a handful of dates in europe when the record came and apparently haven't been heard from since.  shame because the record is a fun listen and very refreshing.  hell it must be good... pitchfork gave a 8.6   ;)

i have the us release plus a could cd singles if anyone is interested in hearing them.  the record probably can be found in most cutout bins at this point too...
T.Rex

lily1

« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2004, 01:16:00 pm »
kosmo, that was a great set. any chance you could easily burn onto cd and could whisk off as a mix to me?

markie

« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2004, 01:19:00 pm »
There is a review of the starsailor gig on bigyawn.net too...........

« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2004, 01:25:00 pm »
They had enough taste to cover my favorite Springsteen song. Good for them. Mary Lou Lord does a fine job with Thunder Road too.

redsock

« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2004, 04:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by mark e smith:
Markie, you mean there is a fucking amazingly well-written review on the starsailor gig on BigYawn.net.   :D

markie

« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2004, 04:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by redsock:
  Markie, you mean there is a fucking amazingly well-written review on the starsailor gig on BigYawn.net.    :D  
I am not into self-aggrandizement. I am probably the smartest person I know.

Celeste

« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2004, 04:46:00 pm »
 I am probably the smartest person I know.
no great claim, considering most of the folks you know seem to be from this board  ;)

« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2004, 05:09:00 pm »
Complaints about the crowd from someone who routinely heckles performers. Unfrigginbelievable.

:D  
Originally posted by redsock:

Markie, you mean there is a fucking amazingly well-written review on the starsailor gig on BigYawn.net.    :D  [/b]

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2004, 06:12:00 pm »
Originally posted by lily1:
  kosmo, that was a great set. any chance you could easily burn onto cd and could whisk off as a mix to me?
yeah i can do that, kosmette has already requested i recreate the mix for her ipod  :D  it will give me a chance to put together some cds for my own use when djing as well. can't promise it this week because i've got other projects in the works.  

the catch is you have to at least promise to checkout de novo dahl, splitsville, the mood elevator and the waxwings.
T.Rex