Author Topic: Starsailor review...  (Read 9750 times)

redsock

Starsailor review...
« on: January 21, 2004, 02:28:00 pm »
Hey, if one of you regulars is going to Starsailor this weekend, do you want to write a review for it? We are putting up a review of their new album next week, and it would be cool to have a review of their show at the same time.

No need to fight over it, I'm happy to take the first person who offers...

Re: Starsailor review...
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2004, 02:40:00 pm »
The Express said Starsailor and Elbow were the next Coldplay. So glad there will be more bands like Coldplay! They're amazing!

markie

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2004, 02:43:00 pm »
Originally posted by redsock:

No need to fight over it, I'm happy to take the first person who offers...
I intend to go. I will do it.

Rhett, die!

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2004, 02:56:00 pm »
Why not just nick your review from this one?

Starsailor
 Silence Is Easy
 [Capitol; 2003]
 Rating: 4.9
 The recipe for chart-topping Britpop these days seems fairly straightforward: start with a rock ballad, mix in lyrics about restless hearts and rolling meadows sung in a lilting falsetto by a northern golden boy, add layer upon layer of symphonic string arrangements, a sprinkle of piano here, a dash of plucked guitar there, and voila! See you at the Reading Festival, mate! Starsailor (the name comes from the Tim Buckley LP) revels in all of these romantic pretensions on Silence Is Easy, their melodramatic, overproduced, but not altogether unpleasant sophomore release.

The new album covers a lot of the same territory as their platinum-selling 2001 debut, Love Is Here: Like any self-respecting English bard, singer/guitarist James Walsh piles-on references to clear skies, sunshine, cafes, rising seas, and a-love-that-will-somehow-find-a-way, which compliment the maudlin orchestral overtones on much of the album. Defiantly sappy, Silence Is Easy survives mostly on Walsh's oddly graceful singing. Unfortunately, the music on the whole is prosaic, even boring at times. It just sweeps right past you, like an unnoticed breeze.

The release of the un-Spectorized Let It Be...Naked on Tuesday made abundantly clear the sort of havoc that Phil Spector can wreak on an album. And while only two of the tracks on Silence Is Easy were produced by the gun-toting maniac, his presence is palpable on the entire record. The song "Telling Them", for instance, starts out decently enough, with Walsh sounding like a young Robert Plant over Barry Westhead's piano playing and Ben Byrne's punctual drumming. But, thanks no doubt to Spector's influence, the band is quickly overtaken by a cello and some accompanying strings that work themselves into a sentimental lather worthy of a Rob Reiner film. "Fidelity", too, has the makings of a nice rock song, with cutting, tumultuous guitars and a catchy chorus. But it also feels too careful, too deliberate and fussed over to have a genuinely cathartic effect, and the overwrought harmonies bury the track before it's had a chance to live.

Walsh sounds alternately like Thom Yorke, Neil Young, Chris Martin and Jeff Buckley, though he isn't a smidgen of the songwriter that any of them are (or were). His lyrics prove him incapable of understatement (a problem that apparently doesn't afflict him in conversation: "I think some of the last record sounded overwrought in parts," he said recently about Love Is Here). On Silence Is Easy, Walsh recycles truisms about love, sex, hate and co-dependance without any insights or significant lessons to add. Of course, few songwriters have anything consistently new to say, but in the course of an album, a song or two should catch you in a way that makes you sit up and say, "Yep." Walsh isn't quite there yet.

"Four to the Floor" opens with a hip-hop beat and a funk bassline, but is soon engulfed by more strings, which promptly crowd out the other instruments. What at first sounds like the soundtrack to a 70s film car chase is instead a pathetically crafted metaphor for, what else, but the thrill of new love. "Four to the Floor, I was sure that you would be my girl," Walsh sings lamely. This is the point in the album where you might start thinking, "C'mon, man, fucking pull yourself together! Enough with the chicks already!"

Despite these myriad complaints, Silence Is Easy actually has its share of tolerable moments. Walsh is undoubtedly talented and his songs can be endearing even in their shameless mushiness. Give him some time to shake off this Phil Spector phase (he'll ruin you like a diseased whore, Walsh!) and who knows how he'll develop musically. For now, silence would be better.

mankie

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2004, 03:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  The Express said Starsailor and Elbow were the next Coldplay. So glad there will be more bands like Coldplay! They're amazing!
If Elbow are to be the next Coldplay they need to fire themselves and hire a bunch of talentless dorks with pasty complexions instead.

redsock

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2004, 03:06:00 pm »
  Why not just nick your review from this one?

Eh, it was too long.

Thanks Mark...

sonickteam2

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2004, 03:56:00 pm »
i thought Markie was the only one who could quote from the express bible of music?   phooey.

Elbow sounds nothing like Coldplay.

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2004, 04:09:00 pm »
I was quoting from the Express, the little freebie newspaper the nice black dude gives you when you're going into the metro here in DC. NOT the New Musical Express.

Originally posted by sonickteam2:

i thought Markie was the only one who could quote from the express bible of music?   phooey.

Elbow sounds nothing like Coldplay. [/b]

tiia

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2004, 06:51:00 pm »
I doesn't really matter who you were quoting.  By quoting you are endorsing the statement. It doesn't matter how bad the source is.

[QB] I was quoting from the Express, the little freebie newspaper the nice black dude gives you when you're going into the metro here in DC. NOT the New Musical Express.

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2004, 06:57:00 pm »
So, for example, if I quote from Bush's State of the Union Address, that means I am endorsing it? Your argument doesn't hold much validity.

I was simply repeating something I read, and in pointing out that I was quoting from something, was disassociating whether I agreed with it or not.

Originally posted by tiia:
  I doesn't really matter who you were quoting.  By quoting you are endorsing the statement. It doesn't matter how bad the source is.

[QB] I was quoting from the Express, the little freebie newspaper the nice black dude gives you when you're going into the metro here in DC. NOT the New Musical Express. [/b]

tiia

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2004, 07:07:00 pm »
Well you have a point.  I guess if you qualify with a statement that defines your intended purpose....ie. look at what the silly prat just said"......".  But if you quote a source about music without saying that 'hey look at what the express said about such and such' aren't you in someway agreeing that Elbow sounds like Coldplay...

maybe Im being too wax-intellectual about this.

So, for example, if I quote from Bush's State of the Union Address, that means I am endorsing it? Your argument doesn't hold much validity.

I was simply repeating something I read, and in pointing out that I was quoting from something, was disassociating whether I agreed with it or not.

Originally posted by tiia:

[QB] I was quoting from the Express, the little freebie newspaper the nice black dude gives you when you're going into the metro here in DC. NOT the New Musical Express. [/b]
[/b]

sonickteam2

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2004, 07:24:00 pm »
he's implying that yet again he has to butt into peoples discussion with another negative statement.

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2004, 11:03:00 am »
Today's Express says, "The philosophy at work is, if it aint overwrought it aint worth being wrought in the first place." I didn't say it, the Express did.

2 for 1 special with the 9:30 Club coupon. Starsailor must not be the big draw of the weekend...

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2004, 11:20:00 am »
The thread title is "Starsailor review". I was simply doing just that, posting a Starsailor review. If this is a private discussion, why post it on an internet chatboard where everyone is allowed to comment?

Originally posted by sonickteam2:
  he's implying that yet again he has to butt into peoples discussion with another negative statement.

stateless

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2004, 11:27:00 am »
not quite following with the discussion here, but...

i disagree with a lot of that review...