Author Topic: Starsailor review...  (Read 9751 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Starsailor review...
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2004, 07:14:00 pm »
wave to dj booth... i'm filling in a the last minute
T.Rex

paige

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2004, 08:18:00 pm »
just a reminder -- come to the club tonight to see a hot scottish lad -- and now kosmo in the dj booth!   :p

Samantha

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2004, 09:51:00 pm »
I'll be there...see you guys  :D

Yank

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2004, 08:23:00 am »
Originally posted by stateless:

Originally posted by mark e smith:

Originally posted by stateless:
  not quite following with the discussion here, but...

i disagree with a lot of that review...
So do I. I think the "Spectorized" tracks are the strongest. I still think the album is not nearly as good as their first. [/b]
I had a very different reaction to the 2nd album...some songs were more immediate, but as a whole, I guess the first album did make sense to me sooner.  That said, after listening to a number of songs on SIE a few more times, I grew to love them.  It's like all of a sudden I got it.  They made sense.  A couple of those songs I was iffy about at first are now my favorites on the album.  I definitely agree that 'Silence is Easy' is one of the stronger songs on there though...not so sure about 'White Dove.' [/b]
Hummm?  Starsailor never came across to me as being that 'deep'.  If music was was a food substitute, they'd be Sweet And Lo.  But I'll be the first to admit, I could be missing the point.  If you like bands like Starsailor, Coldplay and Travis, you'll love Keane!  The band has no guitars and all the songs that I've heard so far are piano ballads.

paige

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2004, 11:57:00 am »
so, how did everyone enjoy the show last night? i thought starsailor sounded great!

what did you guys think of the lovely scottish lad johnathan rice? minus the random political outburst, i thought it was great!

ratioci nation

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2004, 01:10:00 pm »
I thought the show was very good, their songs are what they are, enjoyable, but nothing amazing, I wish the club could sound that good everynight, it was just about perfect.  Not a bad dj either  ;) .  

Missed the opener.

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2004, 01:41:00 pm »
I thought Johnathan Rice was lovely. A very strong, low voice. I would love to hear what he sounds like with a full band, but it seems like he's more the singer songwriter type. I liked his political outburst and his comment about the obnoxious talkers: "I know we are all friends here, but if you loved me half as much as Starsailor, you would be a bit quieter." Some of his songs were accompanied with a loud roar from the crowd -grrrr.

And Starsailor were strong. They are very earnest and sincere on stage -if a bit awkward. I still prefer Gomez in terms of the music itself. But Starsailor always have a really strong show and are enjoyable to see. I don't take a lot from it but you can't help but like the guys. The sound mix was incredible.

lily1

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2004, 01:56:00 pm »
the should would have been great if it were not for all the drunken fuck wits there that nearly ruined the show. we tried to move to a different spot and no matter where we went, there were drunken fuck wits.

the times the drunken fuckwits were at the bar, the band sounded great. they are much more confident on stage,  but still not at that overinflated ego stage yet.

jonathan rice's set was better in the second half than the first half. does he normally play with a full band?

paige

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2004, 02:29:00 pm »
Originally posted by kurosawa-b/w:
  I thought Johnathan Rice was lovely. A very strong, low voice. I would love to hear what he sounds like with a full band, but it seems like he's more the singer songwriter type. I liked his political outburst and his comment about the obnoxious talkers: "I know we are all friends here, but if you loved me half as much as Starsailor, you would be a bit quieter." Some of his songs were accompanied with a loud roar from the crowd -grrrr.

And Starsailor were strong... The sound mix was incredible.
i loved that little comment he made about being quiet. and oh, the accent. gets me every time. i don't know if he usually plays with a full band, but i think he'd sound really great with some more rockin' force behind him. the loud roars from the crowd were most likely from his family and friends - they were the crazy scots screaming his name. nothing like family pride   :p  

i think the reason i enjoyed starsailor so much was because of the sound mixing -- it was fantastic! it's been a while since i have been to 930 and heard a show sound that clear and great.

Jaguär

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2004, 02:35:00 pm »
Was he as cute in person?   :p  

Sir HC, did you have your hands in the mixing?

redsock

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2004, 02:53:00 pm »
I'm honestly not even a fan, but I thought Starsailor really sounded great. I knew most of their stuff, just from hearing it. Even though to me, most of it sounds alike. Still it was pleasant enough

Sweetjoy

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2004, 03:45:00 pm »
The sound was amazing. Starsailor were musically very tight. The break in Love Is Here was breathtaking. Four To The Floor and Silence Is Easy, the two songs I know off the new album, both came across quite well, I thought. All around an excellent performance.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2004, 04:16:00 pm »
starsailor had their own sound techs with them...  which of course is always going to help.  

my dj setlist is on it's way...
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2004, 05:18:00 pm »
as promised...

Starsailor & Johnathan Rice
 9:30 Club
 Washington, DC
 1/24/04

Goldfrapp - "Human"
 Massive Attack - "Teardrop"
 Beth Orton - "Tangent"
 Paul Weller - "Wildwood (Portishead remix)"
 Cocteau Twins - "Cherry-Coloured Funk"
 Lush - "500(Shake Baby Shake)"
 Lightening Seeds - "Lucky"
 Phoenix - "Too Young"
 Ocean Color Scene - "The Riverboat Song"
 Cast - "Alright"
 Supergrass - "Grace"
 Elastica - "Car Song"
 T. Rex - "Get It On"
 Primal Scream - "Rocks"
 Oasis - "Rock 'n' Roll Star"
 Dandy Warhols - "Boys Better"
 Stone Roses - "Elephant Stomp"
 Delgados - "Hate Is All You Need"
 De Novo Dahl - "Monster Proof" (http://www.denovodahl.com)
 Spearmint - "I Can't Sleep"
 Aztec Camera - "The Crying Scene"
 Ash - "Sometimes"
 XTC - "This World Over"

Johnathan Rice Set

Elliot Smith - "Rose Parade"
 The Mood Elevator  - "Beginners Luck" on  Doppler Records
 Belle & Sebastian - "Sleep the Clock Around"
 Splitsville - "I Wish I Had Never Meet You"
 Robbie Williams - "Killing Me"
 Idlewild - "Live in a Hiding Place"
 Suede - "My Insatiable One"

Starsailor Set

The Waxwings - "Keeping the Sparks"
 Charlatans - "Weirdo"
 St. Etienne - "Only Love Can Break Your Heart"
 Electronic - "Make it Happen"
 One Dove - "Fallen"
 Underworld - "Rez"

more links
T.Rex

thirsty moore

« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2004, 06:28:00 pm »
Seriously Kosmo, I only heard your set after the Starsailor gig but I thought every song was excellent.  I'd never heard any of them before.