Author Topic: CMJ Music Fest  (Read 7403 times)

markie

Re: CMJ Music Fest
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2003, 02:21:00 pm »
I hate kweller, he is pop rock, definitely not antiolk.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2003, 02:38:00 pm »
to me some of adam green's songs are like tenacious d songs... they are funny if one is 13.  his straight songs were better, the rest just make the audience tither in the he just sang f*ck way.
T.Rex

Bags

« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2003, 02:39:00 pm »
I don't know Kweller, but am very familiar with Lee, and he's antifolk based on the description here.  Clever lyrics (old stuff), and he does some songs that are extremely similar to the Jessica Simpson song; not as dark, but clever.

SPARX

« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2003, 02:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by bags:
  Adam Green = the Ben Lee/Ben Kweller school!
I really like Adams new one.He writes some of the most humorous lyrics in Rock.He can throw down some good melodic pop as well when he is so inclined.

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2003, 02:45:00 pm »
this may be the only negative review I've ever read in AMG:

Picture Beat Happening without the charm and wit (and with even less musical talent). The Moldy Peaches attempt to be humorous and fail miserably, thinking that using "turd" in their songs is tantamount to being funny. Unfortunately many of the songs are musically quite good (some, however, are just horrible). A few even start off with great lyrics, but a verse or two into the song break down; "Anyone Else But You" is such a song. Musically it is nice and lyrically it even starts off quite well, but very quickly it degrades. The Moldy Peaches have a great lo-fi approach to music which is too often spoiled by poor lyrics; maybe their live performance â?? in which the duo dresses in a rat costume and a sailor outfit â?? simply doesn't translate well into recorded media.

Bags

« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2003, 02:48:00 pm »
That AMG review certainly seems to bolster Kosmo's comment.

And I agree; don't know that I've ever read a downright negative review in AMG.

markie

« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2003, 02:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
   make the audience tither in the, he just sang f*ck, way.
I think thats a flaw in the audience. They didnt do that in New York.

At 9.30 its was Kwellers teen audience though. In NY it was Adam Green Headlining one time, Oranges band, Adam Green and Walkmen headling the other.

No one laughed when he swore. Although they did laugh at some of the more absurdist lyrics, which might be the point.

Is music to serious to be funny?

markie

« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2003, 02:53:00 pm »
Originally posted by bags:
  That AMG review certainly seems to bolster Kosmo's comment.

Adam green has moved on a long way since the days of the moldy peaches. But the show Kosmo saw was this year. He would have probably detested the moldy peaches.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2003, 03:02:00 pm »
don't get me wrong i concur with sparx on adam's ability to write a great melody.  at the kweller show everytime he appeared to be losing his audience out came a tither inducing song.  personally i prefer lyrics with double entendre, they are more clever and creative.
T.Rex

markie

« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2003, 03:19:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
 everytime he appeared to be losing his audience out came a tither inducing song.  personally i prefer lyrics with double entendre, they are more clever and creative.
I imagne most of songs would have that effect on that kweller crowd. I dont think he was choosing songs for that purpose. It was just an awful crowd.

If you listen to Adam Greens albums you will find the lyrics are clever and creative, but include profanity carelessly thrown in.