Author Topic: Oscars  (Read 16784 times)

palahniukkubrick

Re: Oscars
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2005, 11:10:00 pm »
Originally posted by j_lee:

David Byrne was (and may still be) a self-affirmed racist, [/QB][/QUOTE]

is this true? what's the story? I'm having a hard time believing it considering he's played with members of P-Funk.

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2005, 12:12:00 am »
Why would you say that David Byrne a racist?

Bags

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2005, 12:17:00 am »
  There are certain people who will always hold a special place of contempt in my heart.  Ethan Hawke is one of those people.
I pretty much agree with you....not for specific reasons, just....I'm not getting him.  And I don't mind missing any movie he's in.

The one actress I just can't stand, and will not see her movies even if they're supposed to be good (she's just drives me too nuts) is Juliette Binoche.  Ugh, did you see "Damage"?

lionforce5

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2005, 01:46:00 am »
Originally posted by Bud Erdbuns:
I swear I saw a program with him...maybe about fourteen years ago, where he admitted to having racist tendencies.  But it was fourteen years ago, so maybe I'm wrong, or maybe I walked in and heard him say that out of context.

hitman

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2005, 03:23:00 am »
This may be perhaps the first year where I haven't seen anything nominated...

npetting

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2005, 04:36:00 am »
Originally posted by smakawhat:

Originally posted by palahniukkubrick:

Spring, Summer Fall Winter and Spring (Korea)

you thought this was one of the best? Personally I couldn't stand it. [/b]
I feel really Really REALLY  bad for you that you couldn't appreciate it. [/b]
I distinctly remember everything about the movie Spring, Summer...  It was one of the best and most stunning films I have ever seen.  I think this movie was released in 2003, but no matter what year I'd have to say it's one of my all-time favorites.  I can't reccomend it enough.

poorlulu

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2005, 09:38:00 am »
Originally posted by Bags:
  The one actress I just can't stand, and will not see her movies even if they're supposed to be good (she's just drives me too nuts) is Juliette Binoche.  Ugh, did you see "Damage"?
You are INSANE!

She was gorgeous in unbearable lightness of being.

I thought you were going to say Quenn Latifah or Juliette Lewis, even Charlize Theron I could understand.....

HomesickAlien

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2005, 10:14:00 am »
It's the second time Johnny Depp is nominated and I hope that he will finally get the goddamn Oscar. His movie was by far the best of all nominees.

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2005, 10:49:00 am »
Most people, no matter what their color, have racist tendencies. At least Byrne is conscious enough to admit it.

Recent scientific research has demonstrated that biases thought to be absent or extinguished remain as "mental residue" in most of us.
 Studies show people can be consciously committed to egalitarianism, and deliberately work to behave without prejudice, yet still possess hidden negative prejudices or stereotypes.

So even though we believe we see and treat people as equals, hidden biases may still influence our perceptions and actions.

Psychologists at Harvard, the University of Virginia and the University of Washington created "Project Implicit" to develop Hidden Bias Tests â?? called Implicit Association Tests, or IATs, in the academic world â?? to measure unconscious bias.

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/

Take a test at Project Implicit's website and see what may be lingering in your psyche.

http://www.tolerance.org/hidden_bias/tutorials/index.html

After taking a test, read Tolerance.org's tutorial to learn more about stereotypes and prejudice and the societal effects of bias.

Originally posted by Bud Erdbuns:
I swear I saw a program with him...maybe about fourteen years ago, where he admitted to having racist tendencies.  But it was fourteen years ago, so maybe I'm wrong, or maybe I walked in and heard him say that out of context. [/b]

eltee

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2005, 11:19:00 am »

There are certain people who will always hold a special place of contempt in my heart.  Ethan Hawke is one of those people.
I pretty much agree with you....not for specific reasons, just....I'm not getting him.  And I don't mind missing any movie he's in.

The one actress I just can't stand, and will not see her movies even if they're supposed to be good (she's just drives me too nuts) is Juliette Binoche.  Ugh, did you see "Damage"? [/b]
I thought Ethan Hawke did a good job in Reality Bites. I remember having a major crush on his as well. Now, or maybe even then and I just didn't notice, his acting is crap. And currently, he's painful to look at.
 Two actresses that bug me to no end: Minnie Driver, Diane Lane (and no, neither one of them are hot).

smakawhat

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2005, 11:53:00 am »
Originally posted by Forumie Partie Markie:
  I am not sure best picture really means anything anymore:

http://www.bestonly.com/movies_oscar_film.html
It really doesn't mean Jack...

smakawhat

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2005, 11:58:00 am »
Originally posted by HomesickAlien:
  It's the second time Johnny Depp is nominated and I hope that he will finally get the goddamn Oscar. His movie was by far the best of all nominees.
are you on fuckin crack!?  Depp is one of the most over-rated actors on the planet.

I'd take Hotel Rwanda over that film for best picture any god dam day.  (another snub)

smakawhat

« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2005, 12:02:00 pm »

Originally posted by HomesickAlien:
are you on fuckin crack!?  Depp is one of the most over-rated actors on the planet.

I'd take Hotel Rwanda over that film for best picture any god dam day.  (another snub) [/b]
Seriously people remember 2001 a Space Odyssey not "Oliver"

people remember Taxi Driver... (as opposed to the obvious Rocky)

dam I need to get off my Peeeee SEEEEeee...

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2005, 12:25:00 pm »

The one actress I just can't stand, and will not see her movies even if they're supposed to be good (she's just drives me too nuts) is Juliette Binoche.  Ugh, did you see "Damage"? [/b]
for me it's Mary Steenburgen ... i seriously want to bitch slap her every time she opens up her mouth with that smug grin ... she ruined for me the season of curb your enthusiasm she was in ...
(o|o)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2005, 12:51:00 pm »
Whatever I enjoyed Mr. Depp's performances in Pirates of the Caribeen and Finding Neverland.  Think what you may, he still sells tickets.  Not everyone has time to go every film festival...
T.Rex