Author Topic: Marathon Tips?  (Read 184644 times)

hutch

Re: Marathon Tips?
« Reply #135 on: November 01, 2011, 11:25:22 pm »
well this wasn't my friends first marathon...

he was on pace to do better but lost some speed the last 10 miles..basically he struggled at the end.

i'm a pretty tough judge and if i ran a marathon and couldn't finish strong i'd be pretty dissapointed..

then again i've never run more than a mile.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #136 on: November 02, 2011, 11:14:30 am »
Celeb running report from Marine Corps:  Drew Carey

http://drewfromtv.blogspot.com/2011/10/ol-blood-and-guts.html

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #137 on: November 02, 2011, 12:22:10 pm »

I want to do it again next year.

rock on.
<sig>

K8teebug

« Reply #138 on: November 03, 2011, 08:20:18 am »
sunday was a gorgeous day for watching the marathon after it warmed up a few degrees.  i caught the missus at miles 1, 4, 10, 15 and 17.  ran 20-22 and 24-end with her.  the was in total pain for the last few miles and it was the cheering of the crowd that got her up that last little hill at the finish (i had a great time running behind her and pumping up the crowd).  just like last year, she pushed herself in ways that i didn't know a person could.  finished in a time that would have qualified her for boston last year but this year they moved it back 5 mins so she's just out. 

is there a word that combines indescribable admiration, immense pride and total awe?  'cause that's how i feel about her performance on sunday.

That is so sweet.

K8teebug

« Reply #139 on: November 03, 2011, 08:22:27 am »

is a little more than 4 hours to complete the marathon a good time?
as a non-marathoner but someone who is a little familiar with the realities of marathoning, i say that 4 hours is very impressive.  i'm an occasional runner (always less than 8 miles) and if i were to run 26.2, my stretch goal would probably be ~4:30 with ~4:45 being more realistic.  so anything around 4:00 is damn impressive, IMO.  my wife, who is very fit and trains seriously, finished her first marathon a little under 4:00 and was over the moon with her result.  this year she ran 3:36 ;D
[/quote]

Finishing in 4 or under 4 is definitely impressive.  I ran my first 1/2 in May and am running my first marathon in 2 weeks and figure my finishing time to be about 5 1/2 hours.  If I'm lucky.  Working up to that speed takes alot of work!  Kudos to your wife!

Ardamus

• Ardamus
« Reply #140 on: November 03, 2011, 10:33:09 am »
yep. will be looking at this thread for more advice on running a marathon. i've considered it before but i'm so out of shape, i gave up on the whole notion.

ggw

« Reply #141 on: November 03, 2011, 10:50:52 am »
Does anybody do that barefoot / Vibram 5-Finger thing? 

Given the nagging injuries I have had over the past couple of years, I am thinking about giving it a try.

James Ford

« Reply #142 on: November 03, 2011, 11:00:18 am »
Speaking of barefoot, my friend and I hiked Old Rag a couple of weeks ago on a weekday. While there, we saw this hippie guy with a gaggle of really young kids and a couple of women. The guy and kids were hiking BAREFOOT. Any of you who have been to Old Rag know how crazy that is.

My second thought (after "barefoot!") when i saw them was "homeschoolers". My friends was "polygamists".

Sorry for the thread hijack. With my flat feet i don't think i'm a good candidate for barefoot running!

K8teebug

« Reply #143 on: November 03, 2011, 11:51:59 am »

Given the nagging injuries I have had over the past couple of years, I am thinking about giving it a try.

I don't run in those, but I do run in Newtons.  They were recommended to me by my sister, who also runs in them after 2 ACL surgeries.  I love them.

nkotb

« Reply #144 on: November 03, 2011, 12:14:19 pm »
But for the love of god, whatever you do GGW, don't wear then in public when not running.

I don't run in those, but I do run in Newtons.  They were recommended to me by my sister, who also runs in them after 2 ACL surgeries.  I love them.

James Ford

« Reply #145 on: November 03, 2011, 02:01:09 pm »
But for the love of god, whatever you do GGW, don't wear then in public when not running. Because if you do, we're no longer related!

ggw

« Reply #146 on: November 03, 2011, 02:24:32 pm »
When I'm not running, I am in my Crocs.

But for the love of god, whatever you do GGW, don't wear then in public when not running.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #147 on: November 03, 2011, 03:02:31 pm »

yeah, the missus has been running in them a little.  hasn't recently only because marathon training got in the way - you need to work your way into them, a little at a time and gradually ramping up the distance.  when she runs again i'm sure she'll get more into them.  feel free to ask her about 'em next time we meet up, she loves geeking out about running.  if anything, it'll prevent you two from launching into a dorky international policy debate... ;D

another reason to get into barefoot running, even if you never plan to run a race barefoot: i saw a number of people cross the finish line in their socks with their shoes in their hands.  over 26 miles their shoes gave them blisters, and the only way to finish was to take them off.  i bet those folks wishes they had practiced running barefoot a little.

if only bras could cause blisters... ;D
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #148 on: November 08, 2011, 11:50:00 pm »

yeah, the missus has been running in them a little.  hasn't recently only because marathon training got in the way - you need to work your way into them, a little at a time and gradually ramping up the distance.  when she runs again i'm sure she'll get more into them.  feel free to ask her about 'em next time we meet up, she loves geeking out about running.  if anything, it'll prevent you two from launching into a dorky international policy debate... ;D

hey ggw: the missus sends you this link.  happy reading.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #149 on: November 09, 2011, 01:08:16 pm »
if anything, it'll prevent you two from launching into a dorky international policy debate... ;D

I miss ggw...
27>34