Author Topic: Dropping Like Flies  (Read 2600306 times)

hutch

Re: Dropping Like Flies
« Reply #2670 on: February 02, 2014, 04:06:02 pm »
people just can't stay away from heroin... so fuckin lame.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #2671 on: February 02, 2014, 05:17:01 pm »
He was my favorite living actor. Amazing filmography.

Fucking heroin.

Ugh.  You're my Player on the Other Side:

I HATED him as an actor.  So self satisfied.  So smug.  So fat.   Weak apparently.  Are we really supposed to be sad when a celebrity dies over any run of the mill junkie?  Phillip Seymour Hoffman is s celebrity cypher.  "That guy" was a real person.

Why couldn't it have been Alec Baldwin or Sarah Jessica Parker?  I've never hated a movie like I hated "State & Main."

Brian

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2672 on: February 02, 2014, 06:57:39 pm »
Do you ever have thoughts you just want to keep to yourself?  Or is pretty much diarrhea of the month with you...
T.Rex

ggw

« Reply #2673 on: February 02, 2014, 07:57:32 pm »
Hey Rhett - Brian's stealing your schtick.

atomic

« Reply #2674 on: February 02, 2014, 08:14:55 pm »
phillip seymour hoffman
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304626804579358943360702878?mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702304626804579358943360702878.html

http://www.tmz.com/2014/02/02/phillip-seymour-hoffman-dead-apparent-overdose/

fucking heroin.  that drug is making a serious comeback.  in my area of nowheresville, it is a serious, serious problem.  just the other day in the "arrest records of the week" of the local paper, out of the twelve indictments, seven were for heroin.

I don't understand why people still do heroin.  So many people die from it.  You would think people would learn.   Anyway really sad that Hoffman has died.  I wish he did more movies like Along Came Polly.  He was also in the Big Lebowski, arguably the best movie of all time. 

hutch

« Reply #2675 on: February 02, 2014, 08:32:03 pm »

what I don't understand is why people try it in the first place..

once they try it they are hooked....its a real bitch to kick... if not impossible... Hoffman was an addict.

kiedis' book really goes into heroin addiction in depth...

i thought Hoffman had some great performances but lately I started to think he was a bit uni-dimensional in the types of characters he played...but I'm not sure if that is true..

its always the Hoffman' s and Ledger's that seem to go...

a real bummer...

I must admit I have trouble relating to a man with three children who does heroin..

atomic

« Reply #2676 on: February 02, 2014, 08:50:41 pm »
It is as if they have never seen "Trainspotting" or "Basketball Diaries". 

James Ford

« Reply #2677 on: February 03, 2014, 09:21:38 am »
The greatest actor of our time has perhaps pulled off the greatest acting feat of our time. He laid down his life (in such dramatic fashion!!!!! NEEDLE STILL IN ARM!!!) for the sake of Woody. He knew, brilliant man that he was, that if he kicked the bucket in the most dramatic fashion possible, it would transfer the collective focus of Cate Blanchett, Louis C.K., and Facebookers around the world off of the Woody Allen scandal and onto something else.

So the world's greatest actor is now the world's greatest martyr. And Cate Blanchett still has a hard on for Woody.

Hey Rhett - Brian's stealing your schtick.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #2679 on: February 03, 2014, 10:58:33 am »
Do you ever have thoughts you just want to keep to yourself?  Or is pretty much diarrhea of the month with you...

Heroin's a horrible drug.  Almost impossible to fully get clean from.  That's not the sad part.  There are non-celebrities out there who get addicted to junk and have no resources and no money to fight their addiction.  Phillip Seymour Hoffman had the money and the resources that 100 junkies didn't have.   Supposedly he was able to be clean for 20+ years.  Do you and I have that option?  No.  Also, when you or I OD no one is penning heartfelt Twitter tributes to our "genius talent".   So forgive me if I cry no tears or have "diarrhea of the mouth". 

Brian

P.S.  However, if you have diarrhea of the MONTH, kosmo, I'd see your doctor.  You may be eating too much fiber.

Brian

bearman🐻

« Reply #2680 on: February 03, 2014, 11:52:27 am »
Heroin's a horrible drug.  Almost impossible to fully get clean from.  That's not the sad part.  There are non-celebrities out there who get addicted to junk and have no resources and no money to fight their addiction.  Phillip Seymour Hoffman had the money and the resources that 100 junkies didn't have.   Supposedly he was able to be clean for 20+ years.  Do you and I have that option?  No.  Also, when you or I OD no one is penning heartfelt Twitter tributes to our "genius talent".   So forgive me if I cry no tears or have "diarrhea of the mouth". 

Brian

Upon hearing the news yesterday I felt sad, then mad and that's exactly what I said to someone yesterday. He had access to resources, people who would want to help him, financial resources and ability to get care that some of us could only dream about...but I think that a lot of great artists and actors have their own demons and often that's what makes them so talented. They're able to put themselves so fully into some roles that it consumes them and they think the only way to remove themselves from those dark places is through drugs. Gandolfini greatly struggled with removing himself from his Sopranos role and was grateful to move on from it because it took so much out of him. Incredible that after being clean for 20+ years PSH still succumbed to addiction. But I do feel a certain level of empathy, especially for his kids and family. You don't have to shed tears. But I think most of us also feel disappointed, upset, and have a hard time accepting it because it seems senseless. But if nobody cries for you if you OD, maybe you didn't do enough with your life or reach out to enough people that made them feel sorry for you being gone.

bearman🐻

« Reply #2681 on: February 03, 2014, 11:59:08 am »
And for what it's worth, this is still one of my favorite roles he did:

http://www.spin.com/articles/philip-seymour-hoffman-lester-bangs-almost-famous/

hutch

« Reply #2682 on: February 03, 2014, 12:21:15 pm »
Incredible that after being clean for 20+ years PSH still succumbed to addiction.

no way that we know this to be a fact.. and i would be very skeptical that it was so..

but it doesn't matter anymore...

bearman🐻

« Reply #2683 on: February 03, 2014, 12:25:51 pm »
Incredible that after being clean for 20+ years PSH still succumbed to addiction.

no way that we know this to be a fact.. and i would be very skeptical that it was so..

but it doesn't matter anymore...

True. We know that he went to rehab in 2012. Good point. Though it was reported from various news sources that he was clean through much of that. Who knows. It still sucks. Another nice piece:

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/02/philip-seymour-hoffman-the-greatest-actor-of-his-generation/283523/

atomic

« Reply #2684 on: February 03, 2014, 12:30:20 pm »
It is easy to find fault with others.  If you don't have anything good to say about someone who just died it is best not to say anything at all.  We don't know any of these celebrities that die so it really doesn't affect us too much but I think the purpose of this thread is to honor people and not to make you feel better about yourself because you didn't die of heroin overdose.